• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi (2017)

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious to see how far into the future the storyline jumps to in comparison with episode 7. In the tradition of the franchise, we should expect that episode 8 will not pick up immediately after the events of the most recent film, but will instead jump forward in time to a significant point in the future. Obviously the groundwork has been set in ep7 and we have a firm belief of what to expect, but I'm wondering if it is going to show any of Rey's training with Luke... or are we going to be forced to adjust to a new & more powerful Jedi-esque Rey? And we definitely still need an explanation to Rey's past (Jakku desertion) and possible lineage. Is she Luke's daughter? Not to mention so many other questions I have... Will Finn become the new Han Solo? Will Luke take on a prominent role, or is he a shattered soul? Quite the emotional journey he's faced with between Ben Solo's upheaval & the possible reintroduction to his daughter. Which reminds me, how did Maz get Luke's lightsaber? And how much will we see BB-8, R2D2 or C3P0 in the next episode? And what of Kylo Ren? He's headed back to Snoke to further his training. Does that mean he's going to be a mega badass next time we see him? I don't think we've seen the last of Captain Phasma?

:gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah:

Dammit I knew getting myself into this thread was going to make my head hurt!

All I know is... I want me some more Daisy Ridley...
She will be back in Ep8. I think we will find out Snoke's real identity, who I have said all along is Darth Plaguess (sorry misspell). Luke will have a bigger role in 8 as well I believe. He will train Rey, who I think is his daughter. I'm still not sure about Fin? He may become the newer Han Solo, but I thought Poe Damarin would fit that bill? I cannot wait for this to hit theaters. JJ Abrams is not the director of this, so I'm wondering if the new director sticks with the same ideas as Abrams?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 100% against the movie then I saw it, it was damn good. I need to see something different from 8 and not a carbon copy like 7 was. Although a damn good carbon copy, not many, if any, original bones in it's body.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 100% against the movie then I saw it, it was damn good. I need to see something different from 8 and not a carbon copy like 7 was. Although a damn good carbon copy, not many, if any, original bones in it's body.

I think it's safe to say that 8 won't be a copy of Empire. I think the focus going forward will be on how powerful users of the Force can truly become. I seriously doubt they continue going with the "gotta destroy a deathstar" route.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's safe to say that 8 won't be a copy of Empire. I think the focus going forward will be on how powerful users of the Force can truly become. I seriously doubt they continue going with the "gotta destroy a deathstar" route.
I hope not, because in terms of a 'new experience', alone in that regard Star Wars failed miserably. Somehow despite this MAJOR complaint for me, I still managed to shake it off and appreciate the movie. Next time I will not be as forgiving.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not, because in terms of a 'new experience', alone in that regard Star Wars failed miserably. Somehow despite this MAJOR complaint for me, I still managed to shake it off and appreciate the movie. Next time I will not be as forgiving.

And it was smart I think to feel familiar with the introduction. Remember when Clones came out how new idea's and characters that pushed into new area's (Midichlorians and Jar Jar and such) were thought of.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it was smart I think to feel familiar with the introduction. Remember when Clones came out how new idea's and characters that pushed into new area's (Midichlorians and Jar Jar and such) were thought of.
That is why I am giving it a break. But where are we starting movie number two? So new Jedi seeks old Jedi for training. Sound familiar? I really wanted to hate the first one and honestly could not do so, so I am hoping they keep it up. I just need to see something different, otherwise why are you making sequels if you are practically rebooting?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why I am giving it a break. But where are we starting movie number two? So new Jedi seeks old Jedi for training. Sound familiar? I really wanted to hate the first one and honestly could not do so, so I am hoping they keep it up. I just need to see something different, otherwise why are you making sequels if you are practically rebooting?

Yeah I think they do the jedi training, but that's part of what Star Wars is and what the Jedi do, you can have a completely different movie even if you have that in there. Take any franchise and you have some things that are staples of them. It's like having a boxing training montage in a Rocky movie, or a sexy love interest in a Bond movie. New Jedi and new Sith have masters training them.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jedi are going to be a lot more powerful in this trilogy. Mind reading is a technique we haven't seen before and was used by relative novices. We're just scratching the surface on the force. We all know Luke is going to be a complete bad ass, Obi Wan was just an old fart in comparison.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think they do the jedi training, but that's part of what Star Wars is and what the Jedi do, you can have a completely different movie even if you have that in there. Take any franchise and you have some things that are staples of them. It's like having a boxing training montage in a Rocky movie, or a sexy love interest in a Bond movie. New Jedi and new Sith have masters training them.
Those are two of the biggest whores in Hollywood, I loathe both franchises. Star Wars should hold itself to a higher standard than those sets of movies. If you are going to risk tarnishing a legacy of films, it damn well better be close to perfect if you are risking ruining the series. Star Wars will be known forever by what it does in the next two films. Four great movies, three awful ones. Can't mess up on these last two otherwise the series is no longer looked at the same way.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are two of the biggest whores in Hollywood, I loathe both franchises. Star Wars should hold itself to a higher standard than those sets of movies. If you are going to risk tarnishing a legacy of films, it damn well better be close to perfect if you are risking ruining the series. Star Wars will be known forever by what it does in the next two films. Four great movies, three awful ones. Can't mess up on these last two otherwise the series is no longer looked at the same way.

But take any franchise and they have things that are continuous. The star wars franchise, books, tv, movies all are based on Jedi and Sith passing along their knowledge to their apprentices.. That really IS star Wars founding premise from day 1.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to SW8. One thing I don't want is Luke being Rey's father. I feel it's more interesting that way. Don't really want more Jedi vs. Sith family battles. "Luke, I am your father." Followed by Ren saying "Rey, I am your cousin."

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to SW8. One thing I don't want is Luke being Rey's father. I feel it's more interesting that way. Don't really want more Jedi vs. Sith family battles. "Luke, I am your father." Followed by Ren saying "Rey, I am your cousin."

No worries mate Rey isn't related to Luke and thus Kylo Ren. If Rey and Ren were cousins then this moment

tumblr_inline_o0i3wagz1Q1thr9u3_500_zpsauj3v0sz.gif

Would take on a whole new level of creepy.

I'm just saying last time I picked up a girl and carried her bridal style, like Kylos doing, the said lady was saying "OMG this is really happening?! This is such a romantic perfect moment like in a movie." And we almost kissed and made out. The only reason we didn't is because her best mate and husband were watching and looking at us suspiciouly; like "what's going on between you two?"

I'm just saying a guy doesn't pick up a bird that way unless he's into her? Which pretty much excludes ones cousin.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries mate Rey isn't related to Luke and thus Kylo Ren. If Rey and Ren were cousins then this moment

View attachment 105033

Would take on a whole new level of creepy.

I'm just saying last time I picked up a girl and carried her bridal style, like Kylos doing, the said lady was saying "OMG this is really happening?! This is such a romantic perfect moment like in a movie." And we almost kissed and made out. The only reason we didn't is because her best mate and husband were watching and looking at us suspiciouly; like "what's going on between you two?"

I'm just saying a guy doesn't pick up a bird that way unless he's into her? Which pretty much excludes ones cousin.

Is that really any worse than this:

tumblr_mb1033uOpN1qbwatdo1_500.jpg

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tumblr_nztwq9qEvb1qjazdlo1_500_zpsbyhxjolf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Is that really any worse than this:

View attachment 105035

LOL, true. The difference however is they weren't brother and sister when that happen. Lucas made Leia and Luke brother and sister at the last minute because he became creatively burnt out from Star Wars and decided to end the series with ROTJ.

The writers of this trilogy already have all the major points mapped out, like who Rey is and who is or isn't her family. So them putting all these signs and hints that Ben Solo is attracted to Rey would be far worse than Lucas slapping an impromptu arc onto an already existing character.

I mean really JJ Abrahams saying to Adam Driver "ok this girl you just captured is your cousin. So bearing that in mid I want you to look at her face, particularly her lips like this:

tumblr_nztwq9qEvb1qjazdlo1_500_zpsbyhxjolf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I say he would need to seek help.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Last Jedi...

Does that refer to Luke or Rey? Ben???

The Jedi is an order (like the Sith, or the Ren), so I would guess this refers to Luke, while Rey will be trained by Luke, but is not actually Jedi.