• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I am clearly not as well versed in all this as some here... I liked this movie overall... When I think it through, probably my third favorite behind Empire and New Hope....

Yeah, I commented during the movie how gravity seems very inconsistent in this world... And nothing new, but Jedi power seem to come and go, like... do they have to climb the rock face this time, or can they just leap now?

And what's with the names? Rey, Finn, Po, Rose? Its like they don't think we can handle a name over one syllable...

And what is with these damn "Dark Lord Prophecies"? It's always...

"Yessssss, use your blaster to kill my guards, then leap behind me and slit my throat and fulfill your destiny! I have forseen it!".

Instead he/she screams, lightning flies out his/her ass killing the guards and then jams his/her lightsaber in his/her eye.

"Goooooood! Goooooooood! Just as I saw it! The circle is complete!"....

Then Jedi B swoops in, cuts off the head of Jedi A and threatens Dark Lord...

"Yessssssss, this was always how it was supposed to happen! Now.... make love to that Ton-Ton and fulfill the prophecy!"

I mean seriously, these Farmer's Almanacs the Dark Lords consult must be a REALLY confusing read!

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and someone tell Meriadoc Brandybuck that Mordor is THAT way!

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took the kids to the movie last week. With the holidays and trading shifts so I could spend more time with the family, we ended up going to the movie at noon on my first day off after working 9 straight 12 hour second shifts.

So my movie experience was my daughter elbowing me awake, me watching the screen for 10 minutes with nothing making any sense. Then another elbow and a whole different scene. The movie definitely jumped all over the place.

My kids seemed to like it though, and that's all that counts now. After Solo and the 8th movie I gave up on the franchise. They're fine with not making good movies or telling a good story, and are just cashing in on built up good will. If they're ok with that, then I guess I have to be too.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it a couple of days after it came out. My kids wanted to see it. I actually enjoyed it and thought it was ok. Maybe that was because my expectations were rock bottom after the last one which to me was the all time worst Star Wars movie.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read it with a skeptical mind since it is a reddit post but here's some interesting details about behind the scenes decisions going into Rise. TLDR version, the movie was going to be much longer and also Disney overruled JJ a lot which led to the disjointedness of the final product. FWIW, some of it lines up with the reports of numerous reshoots and comments from actors (like Boyega) who said stuff like their characters would go in a certain direction back in the summer yet it never materialized in the film.

Here's what I've been told from a source that worked on TROS. : saltierthancrait

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, finally saw it and liked it. It's not perfect, but I actually liked it even more than The Force Awakens.

IMO, its biggest flaw comes from the fact that JJ Abrams wasn't involved in The Last Jedi, so he had to walk back a bit and cram a lot of stuff that should have happened in the previous movie.

IMO this is a solid 7/10.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I am clearly not as well versed in all this as some here... I liked this movie overall... When I think it through, probably my third favorite behind Empire and New Hope....

Yeah, I commented during the movie how gravity seems very inconsistent in this world... And nothing new, but Jedi power seem to come and go, like... do they have to climb the rock face this time, or can they just leap now?

And what's with the names? Rey, Finn, Po, Rose? Its like they don't think we can handle a name over one syllable...

And what is with these damn "Dark Lord Prophecies"? It's always...

"Yessssss, use your blaster to kill my guards, then leap behind me and slit my throat and fulfill your destiny! I have forseen it!".

Instead he/she screams, lightning flies out his/her ass killing the guards and then jams his/her lightsaber in his/her eye.

"Goooooood! Goooooooood! Just as I saw it! The circle is complete!"....

Then Jedi B swoops in, cuts off the head of Jedi A and threatens Dark Lord...

"Yessssssss, this was always how it was supposed to happen! Now.... make love to that Ton-Ton and fulfill the prophecy!"

I mean seriously, these Farmer's Almanacs the Dark Lords consult must be a REALLY confusing read!

Well, that's the way ALL prophecies work.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw it again. The first two thirds is such a mess. Just crap thrown up on the screen. Makes no sense.
And it seems that JJ was self-aware and laughing with the audience at the movie. And I’m not talking about retcon of TLJ.

I MEAN:
Poe: “All the destroyers have planets killing capability. Of course they do. This is how it all ends.”
And Kylo’s shrug when he’s force-delivered the saber he needs to kill the Knights.
and there were a couple more lines and scenes like that

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will just skip discussing why two and only two wayfinders were made.

And we will skip discussing how Kylo found one in that land where, I guess, some kind of monks were guarding it for some reason.

the second wayfinder was in the wreckage of the Death Star.

so here’s my question:
The person that made the dagger which deciphered the location of the wayfinder in the wreckage, who was that?

mans if it was the guy who needed the wayfinder, why didn’t he just take the wayfinder? And if he didn’t need it but just needed to know where it was, why did he make the dagger decipher tool if he already knew where it was?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go into it with really low expectations it isn’t terrible kind of like Solo. Problem is we have all seen 1-7 and 9 had so much to pack into a movie to make up for Last Jedi it was a clusterfuck in terms of a story.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These movies have been horrid. If you like them because... Star Wars, well your dumb. Star destroyers with dicks, umm ok they dont have basic navigation ...but can blow up all the planets. Hey look here is a neat knife lying here next to this giant wounded fanged worm thing that looks really menacing...but really look at the engraving on this knife next to the dead guy bones in front of this monster coiled up, you think this knife is important? Good thing we found it in this quicksand cave rey didnt save us from ....hopefully we land in the exact spot for this knife to be useful....could take generations to figure out. Good thing the rusting hulk of the deathstar didnt move or adjust in all that ocean wave stuff...i mean parts were falling off from an 80lb jedi...who or why make this knife?? Hey we never knew where the bad guys were, but now we got 10k fighters here all at once...because people! fuck what a stupid movie

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess they made a better desk lamp than Pixar....

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was very rushed, and packed. I think the constant randomness was necessary to compact all of the content into episode. They could have dragged it out to at least 2 episodes, and then it would have been much better. The editors should have cut out 40% of the nonsense, and it would have been a better movie.

Palestine is just there now. And he’s a grandpa. And he is going to suck both their force powers. But then Rey beats him with double-saber-action. Is this storytelling? Is this what Star Wars is about to y’all. What the random fuxk was all this?
As it stands, it felt like it was written by two 10 year old kids trying to one up each other, and they put it all in the movie.

Also, this might be the first starwars movie that you had to have seen the others to have any idea about wtf was going on. Just horribly written.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned, I enjoyed it, but you have to ignore some stupid plot holes, and with space wizards, I'm willing to do so, but:

Revival of Palpatine: Never explained and just stupid. If this was end goal, should've been at least hinted at earlier in saga

Secret fleet: The amount of needed resources and ability to pull this off just seems hard to swallow. Also the amount of ships in a location that needs a special device to find? This is probably the point that bothered me the most.

Lukes X Wing-It can now fly and is fully functional despite being underwater for decades? Didn't luke D Commission it so he couldn't leave?

Light Speed Skipping/Tie Fighters following falcon: Ummm ok

Zorri Bliss-You're going to have Kerri Russell in a movie and not show her partially nude?

Palpatine's plan: Makes no sense. Rey to be his successor but later adapts to stealing her life force? Both are dependent on Rey who was trying to have killed

Again, I was able to ignore all that and enjoy a movie about Space Wizards. But you really have to ignore plot points, canon, and strange character arcs/motivations

winningTorch

ray=out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rey telling the old lady who just happened to be wandering by in the middle of nowhere that her name was just 'rey' would have had more of an impact than adding skywalker lmao