• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder if all these positive fan reviews are due to folks not wanting to admit they just wasted $10-12 / ticket + 3 hours + 40 years of their life for one of the worst movie making jobs ever. Hard to believe this is the same director that put together decent Star Trek movies. Disney & Kathy fucked up this guy's talent. Sad.

The first Star Trek was good, but wasn't a fan of the sequels. Abrams knows how to do one thing (at this point) and that's re-create a movie in today's demographic. Throw some bright lights and lots of 'stuff' and CGI/sound/practical effects in and profit. Star Trek was the same thing. It was a reboot (I never watched Star Trek as a kid so it was new to me) but it did nothing different.

End of day, it's Star Wars... it's basically a cult following at this point because Disney is so political (PC) with their movies. As a result there will always be fans that like it.

I generally ignore politics and SJW agendas with movies (if the movie is good, it's good) but the whole Star Wars Disney saga was a complete and utter atrocity. Even Rogue One was terrible. You had a great chance to make an Ocean's Eleven type espionage.. *AHEM FUUUUUUN* film and you went with the most boring dull and bland looking production possible... that was literally saved by Darth Vader and "OMGASM" fanboy support at the end.

Star Wars is dead. Sadly Disney owns it and they are in the hole with how much they paid Lucas (and all their movies have been major bombs outside of Awakens) so I doubt we'll see any change. Mandalorian is okay at least...

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first Star Trek was great, but wasn't a fan of the sequels.

It's Star Wars... it's basically a cult following at this point because Disney is so political (PC) with their movies. As a result there will always be fans that like it.

I generally ignore politics and SJW agendas with movies (if the movie is good, it's good) but the whole Star Wars Disney saga was a complete and utter atrocity. Even Rogue One was terrible. You had a great chance to make an Ocean's Eleven type espionage.. *AHEM FUUUUUUN* film and you went with the most boring dull and bland looking production possible... that was literally saved by Darth Vader and "OMGASM" fanboy support at the end.

Star Wars is dead. Sadly Disney owns it and they are in the hole with how much they paid Lucas (and all there movies have been major bombs outside of Awakens) so I doubt we'll see any change. Mandalorian is okay at least...
I'll disagree, Rogue One was very good.

I'm not a Trek fan by any stretch and have enjoyed every one of the Star Trek Films...at least they have been written well and structured how a story should be told in 2 hours.

This TRoS mess was bad, bad, bad storytelling. I can't imagine what it was before the couple of re-writes it went through.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not a Trek fan by any stretch and have enjoyed every one of the Star Trek Films...at least they have been written well and structured how a story should be told in 2 hours.

This TRoS mess was bad, bad, bad storytelling. I can't imagine what it was before the couple of re-writes it went through.

Rogue One was boring as F to me. I had to watch it in full over multiple days. If you or other folks like it, great. But I thought it was terrible. Let me ask you, how many times have you watched it again?

TROS I agree, TERRIBLE storytelling. To me, Disney never had a STORY for a trilogy. They just said, "Oh, well let's reboot Star Wars and get Abrams because Star Trek was decent, and we'll just make it up as we go along." Which is 100% true because they admitted that with giving Rian full creative development over TLJ.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogue One was boring as F to me. I had to watch it in full over multiple days. If you or other folks like it, great. But I thought it was terrible. Let me ask you, how many times have you watched it again?

TROS I agree, TERRIBLE storytelling. To me, Disney never had a STORY for a trilogy. They just said, "Oh, well let's reboot Star Wars and get Abrams because Star Trek was decent, and we'll just make it up as we go along." Which is 100% true because they admitted that with giving Rian full creative development over TLJ.
Yeah, I have seen Rogue 4-5 times....mostly due to having a 12-yr old in the family...but I liked the visuals and the screen play in full.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It took everything I had to stay awake during Rogue One. I thought it was very bland and didn’t care about any of the characters.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was probably my least favorite Star Wars movie.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Palpatine wasn't really around until he pulled a Voldemort.

But your guess is as good as mine.
It's a dumb rule anyway.
Didn't having Palpatine, Snoke, and Kylo Ren all around at the same time violate the rule of 2?
Yeah and a total retcon of the original trilogy when it was later introduced. The Emperor and Vader conspired to have Luke join them. Sure they were both more than willing to double-cross each other with Luke's help but they were both pretending to want Luke to join them and make a trio. So I guess maybe after Maul and Dooku Palpetine said "Fuck this Rule of 2".
Rule of 2 was pretty much ended under Palpatine because he trained Sith assassins (Maul, Ventress, inquisitors, etc.). Plus Ren (and likely Snoke) was never a Sith, just a darkside user. Rule of 2 was meant to end once the Jedi and old republic got tobbled anyway. Darth Bane did it so they could lay low until the Sith worked its way back into power.

Technically Maul in the old canon (and possibly new?) was trained as a Sith while both Sidious and Plagueis were still alive

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw it this afternoon. My initial thoughts...

1) why bury Leia’s saber at Owen and Berou’s place? She had no connection to the place.

2) Luke never abandoned the Skywalker name after Anakins atrocities. Why did Rey abandon the Palpatine name?

3) They foreshadowed Rey and Ben joining hands in power the entire trilogy. Having them join forces to take down Palpatine TOGETHER would have been a much better ending to that battle. Even throw in force ghosts surrounding them all to boost their power. The path they took was very anticlimactic, imho.

4) Why would killing the Emporor be evil, but killing him isn’t? They killed people all over the place, and that wasn’t evil. But because he talks some shit beforehand, he can’t be killed? Until he is.

5) Eliminating the Sith, but having the Jedi still around is NOT balance. Eliminating both the Sith religion AND the Jedi religion would have been true balance. Having Rey and Ben starting a new religion (Skywalker??) with the aid of Tano and Father would have been a GREAT ending. But I acknowledge introducing Tano and Father to the just-movie fans this late would be a bit awkward. Ignoring movie vs tv political separation, having Father make some kind of appearance to even things out in the establishment of a new “Gray” religion would have been awesome. His experience with Son and Daughter failing miserably at keeping balance would have helped shed light on why the Jedi needed to be eliminated as well.

6) The fan service with giving Chewy a medal was horribly executed. “Sorry you didn’t get the recognition you deserved 30 years ago. Here is a spare medal I picked up at the second hand store last week. And no one will know about it either.”

7) They go out of their way in the first 2 movies to ensure to us that Fin is NOT force sensitive. Now he is all of the sudden close to Luke’s level in New Hope? Mkay.

8) Rose officially enter JarJar territory. She couldn’t participate in the main storyline because, um, she needed to stay behind for, uh, reasons. Don’t get me wrong. I was glad she was essentially left out. But it was glaringly obvious they wanted nothing to do with her character.

9) Loved the nod to the fact that Leia was, in fact, a fully trained Jedi Master. Now will people PLEASE shut up about Leia Poppins?

10) I was thinking they were going to make the new black girl Lando’s long lost daughter, but then I realized that wasn’t possible. She wasn’t 1/2 droid.

11) I want to listen to the Jedi cheerleaders again. I saw the list during the credits and missed half of them in the moment. I made out Qui Jin, Obi Wan, Windu and Luke. I assumed there was Anakin, but then I saw Freddy Prinze Jr, so they brought in the cartoons as well.

12) The rumors of Po being gay are officially put to rest...

13) So Leia uses the very last bit of her life force to distract her son in the middle of a fight, directly leading to his death. Nice move, mom.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didnt they just tilt the command ship so the dumb shits on the wing trying to destroy the communication tower would just fall off?

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was entertaining until Leia's death and then came off the rails....too much suspension of disbelief required at that point. Better than the last one though so it's got that to hang on.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was entertaining until Leia's death and then came off the rails....too much suspension of disbelief required at that point. Better than the last one though so it's got that to hang on.
Wait you don't believe it's possible to a power called the force that can be accessed by these warrior people but for some strange reason they don't use it every time they need it only for dramatic effect. Can't believe you're that skeptical.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait you don't believe it's possible to a power called the force that can be accessed by these warrior people but for some strange reason they don't use it every time they need it only for dramatic effect. Can't believe you're that skeptical.
Force I can live with if they didnt constantly change the use or practitioners rules. The attack force landing space horses on the wing of a battleship in the air is another thing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didnt they just tilt the command ship so the dumb shits on the wing trying to destroy the communication tower would just fall off?
They were standing on top of the Falcon as the Falcon flew away swerving and accelerating. That was weird as shit...

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were standing on top of the Falcon as the Falcon flew away swerving and accelerating. That was weird as shit...
yeah that too.....quick cut to the ewoks so as to distract the audience. wouldve have been better to let rey go to the darkside, show her eating some onion rings with kylo in a diner and then fade out
1.jpg

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this is how I was hoping the sequel trilogy would. The ending felt rushed and I can see why critics were so mixed with how disjointed it could be but overall I enjoyed it. Had some nice closure with the OT characters. Wish we could've seen what this trilogy would've been had VIII had been more like this because it was pretty clear it distanced itself from it as much as it could. This really should've been split between VIII and IX.

Same here. I think they were trying to pack a lot in there to get an acceptable ending. But overall I liked it.. The Palpatine connection was contrived but considering Rei rejected the Dark Side, that was satisfying. I even liked the fact that Ben Skywalker "saw the light" at the end like his grandfather, Darth Vader. The whole part where Rei gave part of herself to heal others was certainly noteworthy.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw it this afternoon. My initial thoughts...

1) why bury Leia’s saber at Owen and Berou’s place? She had no connection to the place.

2) Luke never abandoned the Skywalker name after Anakins atrocities. Why did Rey abandon the Palpatine name?

3) They foreshadowed Rey and Ben joining hands in power the entire trilogy. Having them join forces to take down Palpatine TOGETHER would have been a much better ending to that battle. Even throw in force ghosts surrounding them all to boost their power. The path they took was very anticlimactic, imho.

4) Why would killing the Emporor be evil, but killing him isn’t? They killed people all over the place, and that wasn’t evil. But because he talks some shit beforehand, he can’t be killed? Until he is.

5) Eliminating the Sith, but having the Jedi still around is NOT balance. Eliminating both the Sith religion AND the Jedi religion would have been true balance. Having Rey and Ben starting a new religion (Skywalker??) with the aid of Tano and Father would have been a GREAT ending. But I acknowledge introducing Tano and Father to the just-movie fans this late would be a bit awkward. Ignoring movie vs tv political separation, having Father make some kind of appearance to even things out in the establishment of a new “Gray” religion would have been awesome. His experience with Son and Daughter failing miserably at keeping balance would have helped shed light on why the Jedi needed to be eliminated as well.

6) The fan service with giving Chewy a medal was horribly executed. “Sorry you didn’t get the recognition you deserved 30 years ago. Here is a spare medal I picked up at the second hand store last week. And no one will know about it either.”

7) They go out of their way in the first 2 movies to ensure to us that Fin is NOT force sensitive. Now he is all of the sudden close to Luke’s level in New Hope? Mkay.

8) Rose officially enter JarJar territory. She couldn’t participate in the main storyline because, um, she needed to stay behind for, uh, reasons. Don’t get me wrong. I was glad she was essentially left out. But it was glaringly obvious they wanted nothing to do with her character.

9) Loved the nod to the fact that Leia was, in fact, a fully trained Jedi Master. Now will people PLEASE shut up about Leia Poppins?

10) I was thinking they were going to make the new black girl Lando’s long lost daughter, but then I realized that wasn’t possible. She wasn’t 1/2 droid.

11) I want to listen to the Jedi cheerleaders again. I saw the list during the credits and missed half of them in the moment. I made out Qui Jin, Obi Wan, Windu and Luke. I assumed there was Anakin, but then I saw Freddy Prinze Jr, so they brought in the cartoons as well.

12) The rumors of Po being gay are officially put to rest...

13) So Leia uses the very last bit of her life force to distract her son in the middle of a fight, directly leading to his death. Nice move, mom.
9. Lol. Telling major plot points in flashbacks and memories is all over this trilogy and not something to be lauded. It’s horrible storytelling. Horrid.