• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

shit..i got a computer problem

WOOPIGSOOOIE

Internet Tough Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ya i had one recent that nothing I did would get rid of it, there was a company out there that built a program solely for removing that one single virus

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the last virus I had, wouldn't let me do anything so I couldn't do restore. It had to be taken to get fixed.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your page turns blue and you get WARNING in red letters, I feel sorry for ya. That's the one that was a biotch.

WOOPIGSOOOIE

Internet Tough Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If your page turns blue and you get WARNING in red letters, I feel sorry for ya. That's the one that was a biotch.

mineust popped up with like an ad box, and absolutely wouldnt let me do anything else

so I completely wiped out my hard drive and restarted the computer and it was still there somehow, much have got onto the recovery partition

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine was some little blue and yellow/gold shield at the bottom of my screen. I knew it wasn't good when I seen that. It also tried to run some fake scan on my computer. I lost everything when they fixed it, it was like brand new.

WOOPIGSOOOIE

Internet Tough Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mine was some little blue and yellow/gold shield at the bottom of my screen. I knew it wasn't good when I seen that. It also tried to run some fake scan on my computer. I lost everything when they fixed it, it was like brand new.

Thats why Im buying a mac... much more secure

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't ever go to them p0rn sites, I hear they always carry viruses. Not that I would anyways. :D

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would doing a "Restore" work if you went back to before you got the virus?

Some rogue apps disable system restore, some infect it.

There is s rogue app that fakes a BSOD, in order to remove it one has to boot into safe mode with command prompt, start task manager and then you can run MBAM to remove it.

mineust popped up with like an ad box, and absolutely wouldnt let me do anything else

so I completely wiped out my hard drive and restarted the computer and it was still there somehow, much have got onto the recovery partition

Same as above, go into safe mode with command prompt and run MBAM.

There is no reason to ever lose any data when removing rogue apps. It's just a matter of running the correct removal tool, MBAM and maybe a couple of others for specific trojans such as TDSSServe and resetting some system settings. There is one rogue app that will make all files hidden so you have to go to My Computer and remove the hidden flag set on drive C:. Another hides all system/Windows applications on the start menu...if this ever happens there is site that has fix for this.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why Im buying a mac... much more secure

Until you get one of the new Mac trojans. Unlike Windows there are no removal tools for Macs. You have to wait on Apple to correct it, if they ever acknowledge it. The first major trojan for Mac's that hit in April came through the Safari browser, Apple denied for a week until they were confronted with the evidence by one of the major PC publications. While PC malware is still more prevalent Mac malware is rapidly becoming more and more common.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sooner needs to have his own forum and set up a paypal account to help us dummies.

but seriously, I appreciate the support last night.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't ever go to them p0rn sites, I hear they always carry viruses. Not that I would anyways. :D

You're more likely to a drive by hijack/infection from ESPN or CNN or any other normal site than a p0rn site. They are out to make money and ever since the infections of the early part of the last decade they keep a better watch on their sites than most other companies. Besides, if you are using the latest browsers, IE 9, Firefox 5, Chrome whatever version they're up to, or Opera, they have safe surfing built in to warn the user of a compromised site. If you get that warning and ignore it (and some people do) you get what you deserve.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is norton or any other antivirus program even worth is anymore?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is norton or any other antivirus program even worth is anymore?

Yeah, there are still some viruses that come through e-mail that are caught by the AV programs, and they are good at protecting some on Facebook. But for the money they want a free one, such as Microsoft's Security Essentials or AVG's free version, are just as good.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are really just 3 classes of nasties out there.
1. The true virus, it destroys data. These are not as common as they once were but you still need AV protection to keep them away.
2. The bot trojans (or rootkits). These infect your machine and set up their own mail servers to turn your computer into a spam sender.
3. The hijack trojans. These are really the most common today. They look like real programs until you read them closely. Most are from Russia and their English is horrible. All they want is your credit card number so they can steal you blind.

Worms are another story, ask Iran.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rogue apps disable system restore, some infect it.

There is s rogue app that fakes a BSOD, in order to remove it one has to boot into safe mode with command prompt, start task manager and then you can run MBAM to remove it.

Same as above, go into safe mode with command prompt and run MBAM.

There is no reason to ever lose any data when removing rogue apps. It's just a matter of running the correct removal tool, MBAM and maybe a couple of others for specific trojans such as TDSSServe and resetting some system settings. There is one rogue app that will make all files hidden so you have to go to My Computer and remove the hidden flag set on drive C:. Another hides all system/Windows applications on the start menu...if this ever happens there is site that has fix for this.

Good info Sooner!

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my question on the restore though is how far do you know how to go back? don't some nasties lie dormant for a while first.