• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers v. Packers - Divisional Round

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Niners first playoff game this year is coming up. On paper, the Niners should win this game. The Niners have a slew of pro bowlers. The Packers have none. The Niners are rested and as healthy has they've been almost all season, while this will be the Packers 4th road game in 5 weeks.
--But as we all know, games aren't played on paper, they are played in TV sets. AND, the biggest shit-on-the-floor problem in this game is that the forecast calls for rain all day Saturday. ...and the Niners last few games in the rain have been ugly losses.

The Packers are on a hot streak, having won 4 straight and 7 of their last 9 games. In fairness, their last 4 games have been against the awful Giants, the awful Bears, the very awful Panthers, and the playoff Cowboys.

On offense, the packers like to run the ball and then throw it over your head. It's strange that the Packers don't have a 1k receiver or a 1k rusher. However, Jones is averaging 4.6ypc and they have 3 WRs averaging more than 13yds per catch, so the Niner run defense (which has been spotty at best) will have to show up and the Niner safeties will have to mind their deep responsibilities and make Love walk the ball down the field slowly.

I have to question the Niner pass rush. We supposedly have great talent there, but we haven't seen a serious, consistent pass rush from them in a while. Even against weak Olines. If we can get pressure on Love, we will win the game. Love doesn't throw a lot of INTs, as he only had 11 on the year, but he did have 9 fumbles (total), so the pass rush/pressure will be key. Clelin Ferrell is out for this week, so it's time for Chase Young to show up and Armstead's return to pay dividends.

The packers are 12th in points scored and 10th defensively in points against. In rushing defense, they are 28th in the NFL. So the Niners should be able to run the ball. We have to hope that Kyle will actually run...the...ball instead of going to some bizarre air raid offense (which he's been known to do lately). The Packers LBs are among the worst in the NFL in coverage, so expect Kyle to target them with RBs and TEs in the passing game.

Well, every time I say this is a game the NIners should win, we lose, so I'm not saying anything. Let's just say that vegas has the Niners are 10pt favorites, so a loss would be wildly embarrassing and a huge let down of a season.

So, what do we think?

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Niners first playoff game this year is coming up. On paper, the Niners should win this game. The Niners have a slew of pro bowlers. The Packers have none. The Niners are rested and as healthy has they've been almost all season, while this will be the Packers 4th road game in 5 weeks.
--But as we all know, games aren't played on paper, they are played in TV sets. AND, the biggest shit-on-the-floor problem in this game is that the forecast calls for rain all day Saturday. ...and the Niners last few games in the rain have been ugly losses.

The Packers are on a hot streak, having won 4 straight and 7 of their last 9 games. In fairness, their last 4 games have been against the awful Giants, the awful Bears, the very awful Panthers, and the playoff Cowboys.

On offense, the packers like to run the ball and then throw it over your head. It's strange that the Packers don't have a 1k receiver or a 1k rusher. However, Jones is averaging 4.6ypc and they have 3 WRs averaging more than 13yds per catch, so the Niner run defense (which has been spotty at best) will have to show up and the Niner safeties will have to mind their deep responsibilities and make Love walk the ball down the field slowly.

I have to question the Niner pass rush. We supposedly have great talent there, but we haven't seen a serious, consistent pass rush from them in a while. Even against weak Olines. If we can get pressure on Love, we will win the game. Love doesn't throw a lot of INTs, as he only had 11 on the year, but he did have 9 fumbles (total), so the pass rush/pressure will be key. Clelin Ferrell is out for this week, so it's time for Chase Young to show up and Armstead's return to pay dividends.

The packers are 12th in points scored and 10th defensively in points against. In rushing defense, they are 28th in the NFL. So the Niners should be able to run the ball. We have to hope that Kyle will actually run...the...ball instead of going to some bizarre air raid offense (which he's been known to do lately). The Packers LBs are among the worst in the NFL in coverage, so expect Kyle to target them with RBs and TEs in the passing game.

Well, every time I say this is a game the NIners should win, we lose, so I'm not saying anything. Let's just say that vegas has the Niners are 10pt favorites, so a loss would be wildly embarrassing and a huge let down of a season.

So, what do we think?
I cut pasted your Quote to add...Bolded Which made me Laugh

So, what do we think?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So, what do we think?
I think there are too many factors in our favor to lose. IF we do lose then we deserved to lose due to turnovers and bad penalties, ie "beat ourselves". While there may or may not have bad zebra calls/non-calls included, too many things in our favor to use this as excuses.

Agree with the inept pass rush and why I've been questioning Chase Young first of all? Its clear he hasn't provided the rush we thought we'd get from his 'brand name". I question if we'll even get a comp 3rd for him next draft? Another player short is Hargrave, not that he hasn't done anything but his contract is expectant of a little more impact.

I get some defensive calls do not call for full pass rushes, and i get they've provide help with pressure and run D. But these guys are a little short when the situation does call for a full pass rush.

Also NOT saying we win and wish none of the players would either (Aiyuk?).

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...The Packers are on a hot streak, having won 4 straight and 7 of their last 9 games. In fairness, their last 4 games have been against the awful Giants, the awful Bears, the very awful Panthers, and the playoff Cowboys.
Well, the playoff cowboys just aren't anywhere as good as the regular season cowboys. Hell, even Dallas fans expected the Cowboys to lose to SF should they meet in the NFCCG.

It's really an NFL mystery. Why is Dallas seemingly so good in the regular season, but when the playoffs start, they fall apart. Johnnydel's review of the Packer/Cowboy game showed how the Dallas defense either blew assignments on the back end or had poor gap discipline on the front end. Is it all on the defense? It can't be b/c Dak threw 2 picks and had another dropped. Remember last year against SF, he threw 2 and had another dropped. It's a pattern!

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, what do we think?
i,ll be totally shocked if san fran looks half as bad as philly and dallas looked.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The teams that have done well against this D includes physical running and next, short crossing routes. I would expect GB to start of with an even mix of runs and short crosses. I don't think their run game will have a LOT of success so they won't be able to lean on runs. So next I'd expect GB to use jet sweeps, screens (WR and RB), and other quick passing plays.

If they do pass longer, I'll guess more TE seam routes.

For the 49ers, I'd expect a lean on run plays first, force GB to play a Safety down all the time.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a heads up. Some Packer fans might be coming by here to drop their opinion. So at least have your pants on when they get here! (looking at you @DurbanPoison2121 ). And don't give them any unnecessary shit.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Received the invitation so here to dust off my hat and say hello.
  • Think Packers offense could make a game of it, they have really grown this year.
    • QB - all the talk now is Love... seems to have grown this year very well... he is playing much better than I had hoped at beginning of year... for me seeing how he is playing now.. everything else that transpires this post season is icing on the cake. Not a great scrambler, but is moving better in pocket now.. seemed to move into pressure more earlier in season. Early in season missed a lot of deep throws downfield... that is improving along with his accuracy... but that may also be reflection of pass catchers improving as well.
    • RBs - Aaron Jones finally healthy and he makes a difference. AJ Dillon has been hurt and questionable.. more of a bruiser and short yardage guy... Jones is the only one I consider dangerous. If Dillon not playing Wilson and Taylor are other 2 backs... not much to write home about with them.
    • OL - Really like how our OL is playing... both tackles (R. Walker, Tom) are 2nd year players and really improved throughout the year. Jenkins got some ProBowl recognition prior to ACL injury 2 years ago and back to playing well this year not giving up a sack. Runyan at other guard I like and probably gone after this year... Myers at center got a lot of tongue lashing from me in prior years, but having his best year this year. We have decent depth with Nijman as swing tackle and Rhyan at guard (will be starter next year).
    • WRs all in 1st or 2nd year... they have grown very well this year.
      • Watson is considered the #1.. but often hurt and last game was 1st game back in a while after hamstring
      • Really love Reed (rookie 2nd rounder)... very quick and great hands... sees some jet sweep action
      • Wicks is another rookie I really like... bigger and a bit more physical and good hands as well
      • Doubs 2nd year... 150+ yards vs Cowboys... good #2 and runs good routes.
      • Melton... picked up from Seahawks practice squad... speed burner... had been playing more with Watson injury
    • TEs - Musgrave and Kraft are rookie TEs and will see most of the action now... like them both... Musgrave very good catching the ball.. got hurt and Kraft started playing more... pretty good blocker already and decent hands.
  • Unfortunately... Packers have to play defense... bummer...
    • Packers run defense is bottom 5 in many categories... gave up over 200 yards in a few games... I think this could be another. Think CMC will have success running on Saturday
    • Assume Packers will have to oversell to stop the run and then that will open things up for Kittle, Aiyuk and Samuel downfield.
    • DL - really liked to start the season... Clark best DL and Slaton best run stuffer... Wyatt 2nd year and like Brooks who is rookie who is getting a lot of reps... really thought DL would be more stout vs run, but we can be runover fairly easily. Clark is good with pass rush... Brooks is showing some flash as well.
    • Edge - P. Smith, Gary, Van Ness (rookie)... Smith better against the rush.. as pass rusher average. Gary was the big pass rusher, a bit more quiet year this year but decent at generating pressure... sometimes an issue in run defense with setting edge. Like Van Ness... but he needs to develop... the other seeing a lot of rotation was Enagbare... but he tore ACL vs Dallas.
    • ILBs - Q. Walker playing better and faster and no stupid mistakes like last year... Campbell better in coverage.. McDuffie recently more playing early downs for run.. but questionable for Sat. due to injury.
    • CBs - well.. this could be interesting.. Alexander best CB hurt again and may not play... leaves nickel Nixon and Valentine (rookie), like him.. but not as a #1 for now and Ballentine (journeyman) doing most of the work. Sent Rasul Douglas to Bills mid season for #3 pick... he had been the best. Stokes #1 pick from couple of years ago injured again and barely played this year and out.
    • Safety - starting the season the big question mark... Savage is quick.. I liked him a lot as rookie, but career up and down. Owens getting most of the other snaps.. OK.. most famous for being Simon Biles husband.
I give the Packers chances "any given Sunday" at best... will need to be +2 in turnovers to have a chance, keep it close through 3 quarters. Probably need offense to play lights out and defense respectable.

I think SF is class of the NFC.

Good luck, hoping for a good game and no injuries :suds:

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped by and just want to mention that I cleaned most of the cow shit off my shoes.

Here's to a good game.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just need not to beat ourselves

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the playoff cowboys just aren't anywhere as good as the regular season cowboys. Hell, even Dallas fans expected the Cowboys to lose to SF should they meet in the NFCCG.

It's really an NFL mystery. Why is Dallas seemingly so good in the regular season, but when the playoffs start, they fall apart. Johnnydel's review of the Packer/Cowboy game showed how the Dallas defense either blew assignments on the back end or had poor gap discipline on the front end. Is it all on the defense? It can't be b/c Dak threw 2 picks and had another dropped. Remember last year against SF, he threw 2 and had another dropped. It's a pattern!
I could ask the same question about Rodgers. Besides the year they won it all, Rodgers was a choke artist in the playoffs. Some of those losses were a team effort for sure but Rodgers didnt play the way he would during the regular season.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not that it means much,but did.,nt san fran beat gb in lambeau a few years back in the playoffs?

Yes they did...blocked punt near the end of the game

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Received the invitation so here to dust off my hat and say hello.
  • Think Packers offense could make a game of it, they have really grown this year.
    • QB - all the talk now is Love... seems to have grown this year very well... he is playing much better than I had hoped at beginning of year... for me seeing how he is playing now.. everything else that transpires this post season is icing on the cake. Not a great scrambler, but is moving better in pocket now.. seemed to move into pressure more earlier in season. Early in season missed a lot of deep throws downfield... that is improving along with his accuracy... but that may also be reflection of pass catchers improving as well.
    • RBs - Aaron Jones finally healthy and he makes a difference. AJ Dillon has been hurt and questionable.. more of a bruiser and short yardage guy... Jones is the only one I consider dangerous. If Dillon not playing Wilson and Taylor are other 2 backs... not much to write home about with them.
    • OL - Really like how our OL is playing... both tackles (R. Walker, Tom) are 2nd year players and really improved throughout the year. Jenkins got some ProBowl recognition prior to ACL injury 2 years ago and back to playing well this year not giving up a sack. Runyan at other guard I like and probably gone after this year... Myers at center got a lot of tongue lashing from me in prior years, but having his best year this year. We have decent depth with Nijman as swing tackle and Rhyan at guard (will be starter next year).
    • WRs all in 1st or 2nd year... they have grown very well this year.
      • Watson is considered the #1.. but often hurt and last game was 1st game back in a while after hamstring
      • Really love Reed (rookie 2nd rounder)... very quick and great hands... sees some jet sweep action
      • Wicks is another rookie I really like... bigger and a bit more physical and good hands as well
      • Doubs 2nd year... 150+ yards vs Cowboys... good #2 and runs good routes.
      • Melton... picked up from Seahawks practice squad... speed burner... had been playing more with Watson injury
    • TEs - Musgrave and Kraft are rookie TEs and will see most of the action now... like them both... Musgrave very good catching the ball.. got hurt and Kraft started playing more... pretty good blocker already and decent hands.
  • Unfortunately... Packers have to play defense... bummer...
    • Packers run defense is bottom 5 in many categories... gave up over 200 yards in a few games... I think this could be another. Think CMC will have success running on Saturday
    • Assume Packers will have to oversell to stop the run and then that will open things up for Kittle, Aiyuk and Samuel downfield.
    • DL - really liked to start the season... Clark best DL and Slaton best run stuffer... Wyatt 2nd year and like Brooks who is rookie who is getting a lot of reps... really thought DL would be more stout vs run, but we can be runover fairly easily. Clark is good with pass rush... Brooks is showing some flash as well.
    • Edge - P. Smith, Gary, Van Ness (rookie)... Smith better against the rush.. as pass rusher average. Gary was the big pass rusher, a bit more quiet year this year but decent at generating pressure... sometimes an issue in run defense with setting edge. Like Van Ness... but he needs to develop... the other seeing a lot of rotation was Enagbare... but he tore ACL vs Dallas.
    • ILBs - Q. Walker playing better and faster and no stupid mistakes like last year... Campbell better in coverage.. McDuffie recently more playing early downs for run.. but questionable for Sat. due to injury.
    • CBs - well.. this could be interesting.. Alexander best CB hurt again and may not play... leaves nickel Nixon and Valentine (rookie), like him.. but not as a #1 for now and Ballentine (journeyman) doing most of the work. Sent Rasul Douglas to Bills mid season for #3 pick... he had been the best. Stokes #1 pick from couple of years ago injured again and barely played this year and out.
    • Safety - starting the season the big question mark... Savage is quick.. I liked him a lot as rookie, but career up and down. Owens getting most of the other snaps.. OK.. most famous for being Simon Biles husband.
I give the Packers chances "any given Sunday" at best... will need to be +2 in turnovers to have a chance, keep it close through 3 quarters. Probably need offense to play lights out and defense respectable.

I think SF is class of the NFC.

Good luck, hoping for a good game and no injuries :suds:
Based on all the Youtube of late, this evaluation is in line and fair. The GB offense has been on fire in the 2nd half of the season, so no reason to think they'll revert backwards. They will score so its a matter of how many TD's vice FG's?

The GB defense DOES have good individual talent and could put together a good game. Why it doesn't stack up well Unit wise doesn't make sense?

BOTH ST units aren't good so it might come down to a play or two here? Similar to the last 49er win in Lambeau, via blocked punt.

The 49ers have too many advantages (rest, less injuries, home, etc.) and unless they beat themselves, should win. That said, the 49ers have shown the ability to beat themselves via the Ravens game. Anyway, I agree with " I give the Packers chances "any given Sunday" and being a play-off game better, a little more.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tired so I’m gonna make this quick, lol. Niners can’t come out flat and need to get pressure on the QB. I feel like we have had some games where we have not pressured the QB like we are more than capable of. We have rested guys but I worry about rust with the break. GB has been playing great. We can’t start off slow or this could be a tough game. If we fall behind early like Dallas, I worry we may choke it away. Personally I think Purdy gets us started off quick with a an early Deebo TD and we don’t let up. Niners 37-21

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm worried just because of us having two weeks off. Our offense is about so much timing, being off at all would result in turnovers. We need Kyle to not try being so smart, focus on running the ball and get CMC going. I have confidence in Purdy but we do not want to be in a position where we need to throw to win.

Defense needs to put pressure on Love. He has looked good but they have not played a good defense in a while. The Packers looked great last week but Dallas helped a lot with that.

If we play our game, we win by 2+ TD's. If we come out flat, then it's anyone's game.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck today you guys! I’m expecting a Niners victory and assuming you do win, I’ll be rooting for you the rest of the way. You COULD let us have just one though…. :D