• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers v. Packers - Divisional Round

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still blows my damn mind how badly Ambry Thomas played in this game. We had the Packers stopped on 2 big third downs. Yet, Thomas was flagged for panic-driven pass interference. A CB has to trust his technique and know that those deep balls are difficult to hit for QBs. One of those passes was completely uncatchable, so the PI was unnecessary to start with! And adding insult to injury, Thomas was targeted 5 other time and gave up 5 catches for more than 10yards per catch! Adding insult to injury was that he also missed 2 tackles.

I'll be surprised if he isn't either benched for this Lions game or given a very short leash.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also thought Shanny was thoroughly outcoached. His game plan apparently depended on Deebo a lot. B/c when he went out, everything seemed to change. Then again, in the driving rain against a middle of the road run defense, one would think he would run the ball a lot--instead, he went empty backfield, air-raid offense even though his QB was obviously uncomfortable throwing the ball. W...t...h? Read the room, you moron!
--what was with the time management at the end of the half? This is the 2nd time he's done this. He pulled the same "play for a field goal" weird time management thing against Dallas too.
--Why did CMC only get 17 carries? No excuse for that in a monsoon game where the QB was clearly struggling.
All of this (above). On a wet night against a hot offense, run the ball! Kyle should have used CMC to control the clock and keep the ball out of Love's hands. Fortunately, Packers whiffed on three trips to the redzone and defense held them to 6 points. Including the dropped pick 6, it could have been 21+ down in first quarter.

Then the absurd two-minute drill. That was obscene ineptitude from the sideline. How do you play for a 50 yard FG on a wet and windy night?

So Shanahan comes out after halftime and promptly goes 3-and-out. Even says the Jennings run was a mistake. Pay freaking attention! Was he on his cell phone playing Wordle during halftime?

People say Purdy needs to learn to throw a wet ball. Kyle needs to learn to coach a wet field with this personnel. Don't be arrogant. Figure it out!

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you watched Tua struggle (20 of 39 for 199 yards with an INT) in the frozen tundra of Kansas City, did you think to yourself that McDaniel and the Miami Dolphins have a problem advancing in future playoff games with similar conditions in KC, BUF, NE, Cincy, CLE, BAL, etc.?

Because if you are being honest, Tua's issue is the same as Brock Purdy's inclement weather struggles. It isn't just that the ball is wet. Its the cold and wind, too. These two QBs can roll through a season until mid-December, but games in January have the potential to be severely different. It's analogous the offense that steam rolls between the 20's but stalls in the redzone. Looks great, racks up yards, controls the clock but settles for 3's.

Some will say Purdy just needs more experience in this kind of weather, but that means cutting his teeth in January, in elimination games. And the 49ers won't get home field advantage every year...some games may be in Green Bay or Philly where it will be 20-30 degrees colder, too.

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you watched Tua struggle (20 of 39 for 199 yards with an INT) in the frozen tundra of Kansas City, did you think to yourself that McDaniel and the Miami Dolphins have a problem advancing in future playoff games with similar conditions in KC, BUF, NE, Cincy, CLE, BAL, etc.?

Because if you are being honest, Tua's issue is the same as Brock Purdy's inclement weather struggles. It isn't just that the ball is wet. Its the cold and wind, too. These two QBs can roll through a season until mid-December, but games in January have the potential to be severely different. It's analogous the offense that steam rolls between the 20's but stalls in the redzone. Looks great, racks up yards, controls the clock but settles for 3's.

Some will say Purdy just needs more experience in this kind of weather, but that means cutting his teeth in January, in elimination games. And the 49ers won't get home field advantage every year...some games may be in Green Bay or Philly where it will be 20-30 degrees colder, too.
I think it is too early to put that on Purdy. He's won regular season games in bad weather before. It rains in SF off and on pretty often. He just had a bad game (like most of the team) but came through when it mattered.

The Dolphins cold weather issues are different. Even before Tua they struggled in cold games and continue to do so with Tua.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still blows my damn mind how badly Ambry Thomas played in this game. We had the Packers stopped on 2 big third downs. Yet, Thomas was flagged for panic-driven pass interference. A CB has to trust his technique and know that those deep balls are difficult to hit for QBs. One of those passes was completely uncatchable, so the PI was unnecessary to start with! And adding insult to injury, Thomas was targeted 5 other time and gave up 5 catches for more than 10yards per catch! Adding insult to injury was that he also missed 2 tackles.

I'll be surprised if he isn't either benched for this Lions game or given a very short leash.
That 41yd PI was just friggin awful. He had the guy covered and could have made a great play on the ball, but didn't have body control and awareness on the field. He looks like he's playing scared. Like I said, the entire WR room in Det and Ben Johnson are licking their chops this week.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this (above). On a wet night against a hot offense, run the ball! Kyle should have used CMC to control the clock and keep the ball out of Love's hands. Fortunately, Packers whiffed on three trips to the redzone and defense held them to 6 points. Including the dropped pick 6, it could have been 21+ down in first quarter.

Then the absurd two-minute drill. That was obscene ineptitude from the sideline. How do you play for a 50 yard FG on a wet and windy night?

So Shanahan comes out after halftime and promptly goes 3-and-out. Even says the Jennings run was a mistake. Pay freaking attention! Was he on his cell phone playing Wordle during halftime?

People say Purdy needs to learn to throw a wet ball. Kyle needs to learn to coach a wet field with this personnel. Don't be arrogant. Figure it out!
That was a crazy stubborn gameplan, imo. And zero adjustments after Deebo went down while Purdy was clearly off his game. The vets (and Purdy) kinda bailed Shanahan out on this one.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can see the wet ball thing, but Purdy started 4 years at Iowa St, where the weather is really cold and snowy. He played in Philly in early December and had an outstanding game as well.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the last couple of days, I've heard talking head after talking head speak about how Love was great for most of the game and that GB has a bright future, while knocking Purdy for not playing well. It's bothersome b/c of their respective stat lines, the outcome, and the meaningful throws they completed. When looked at in terms of meaningful throws and mistakes, it sure looks like Purdy was the better QB. Yet from the NFL talk shows, you'd never know it.

It's also odd that no one is really talking about LaFluer's use (nonuse) of time outs late in the game when the Niners were driving for the go ahead TD. I was shocked when he didn't use a single TO before the 2 minute warning.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the last couple of days, I've heard talking head after talking head speak about how Love was great for most of the game and that GB has a bright future, while knocking Purdy for not playing well. It's bothersome b/c of their respective stat lines, the outcome, and the meaningful throws they completed. When looked at in terms of meaningful throws and mistakes, it sure looks like Purdy was the better QB. Yet from the NFL talk shows, you'd never know it.

It's also odd that no one is really talking about LaFluer's use (nonuse) of time outs late in the game when the Niners were driving for the go ahead TD. I was shocked when he didn't use a single TO before the 2 minute warning.
For sure... jumping on the chance to be "right" because most of them had his game falling apart by now. Recency bias is such a huge thing in the NFL. Most folks are giving Love the "new starter" pass, but totally ignoring how big of a mistake that last throw was. It literally lost them the game.

I totally expected it, though. Purdy is no where near the weakness at QB that we've had previous years. If he turns it around this week, they'll sing a slightly different tune.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm coining a new nickname for Brock.... "Prudy". Just like Rudy, nobody believes in him, lol.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it is too early to put that on Purdy. He's won regular season games in bad weather before. It rains in SF off and on pretty often. He just had a bad game (like most of the team) but came through when it mattered.

The Dolphins cold weather issues are different. Even before Tua they struggled in cold games and continue to do so with Tua.
Been watching Youtube breakdowns and a couple of those bad passes weren't due to wet ball. One was his arm being hit, another was the receiver in the wrong place, and two looked like he purposely threw it away? When watching the game I didn't "see it" so thought the wet ball issue was worse than it was.

He may still have a little more trouble than most QB's, but its not a 'glaring' weakness.