• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers v. Cardinals

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona is up next.

After they beat the Cowboys last week, no one should be taking the cardinals lightly. They had 4th quarter leads against both NY and Washington, but blew the leads late to lose by 3 and 4 respectively. They could easily be 3-0 right now.

On offense the cards like to run the ball. A LOT. They ran the ball 30 times vs. Dallas for 222yds. Against the Giants, the cards ran the ball 29 times for about 150yds and Conner, their RB, had 106yds on the ground and averaged 4.6ypc. He averaged 4.4ypc against Washington, so they are going to lean heavily on the running game. Dobbs is also part of the running attack and shown himself to be a dangerous runner. If you can shut down their running game, their entire offense is stymied b/c they run the ball the 5th most in the league.

The Card passing game is more efficient than prolific. Dobbs doesn’t throw all that often, but he has a 72% completion percentage. He is averaging the lowest amount of pass attempts per game in the NFL. They have some very fast outside options in Hollywood Brown and Rondale Moore. They like the pound the ball on the ground and then take some shots to their speedy wideouts. The Niners will have to pressure Dobbs to keep him uncomfortable, but the Cards don’t give up a lot of sacks, just a couple per game.
--an interesting wrinkle in the Cardinal offense is that they use WR Rondale Moore a lot like the Niners use Deebo. He starts out in the backfield to try and get mismatches.

Dallas committed 13 penalties against AZ and it helped to sink them. That is a scary trend since the Niners have struggled recently with penalties.

On Defense, the Cards are very active, but they don’t tackle all that well. According to Nick Wagoner of the ESPN, AZ has given up 299yds after 1st contact, which is the 3rd most in the league. That plays into the Niners run-after-catch style. After breaking so many tackles against NY, guys like Deebo, CMC, and Kittle should do well against the Cardinals.
--In terms of pass rush, the Cards are in the top 10 in sack %. And they get pressure with mostly their front 4 since they don’t blitz often. So this game will be the exact opposite of the NY game. Very little blitzing. Still, they Cards were able to pressure Dak throughout the Cowboy game, so our Oline will have to be much better than they were against NY.
--The Cardinal defense can be susceptible to the run. While they held the running game down against the Giants and Skins, the cards gave up 185yds on the ground to Dallas. Expect the Niner to try and play ball-control offense.

Well, what do we think?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to add that the 49ers are favored by 8 points. The over/under is 43.5.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deebo and Jennings are questionable for the game. Even with Aiyuk back, that wouldn't leave us much at the WR position. Really just Bell and RayRay.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential trap game, divisional opponent playing tough football right now... the 9ers should win (with a healthy dose of the running game). But I'd stay away from that spread this week, lol.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential trap game, divisional opponent playing tough football right now... the 9ers should win (with a healthy dose of the running game). But I'd stay away from that spread this week, lol.
Good post. Divisional games are always tough and this Cards team is coming off a huge upset of the Cowboys. The Cards aren't scared of anyone. They could easily be 3-0 right now.

Since the Cards just beat the Cowboys, can this really be a trap game? I mean, there's no way the Niners overlook the Cards in this one. Hell, they've beaten us with Colt McCoy at QB!

And the spread? I agree completely. No way I'm touching the current 10pt spread.

I still think this will be a ground and pound game. The Cards are bottom 10 in the league in stopping the run and the Niners have one of the top rushing offenses.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree, the 49ers should win but stay away from the spread now at -14 pts.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good post. Divisional games are always tough and this Cards team is coming off a huge upset of the Cowboys. The Cards aren't scared of anyone. They could easily be 3-0 right now.

Since the Cards just beat the Cowboys, can this really be a trap game? I mean, there's no way the Niners overlook the Cards in this one. Hell, they've beaten us with Colt McCoy at QB!

And the spread? I agree completely. No way I'm touching the current 10pt spread.

I still think this will be a ground and pound game. The Cards are bottom 10 in the league in stopping the run and the Niners have one of the top rushing offenses.
I'm ok with the 49ers leaning run to start the game, not 3 runs and punt but lean. Eventually, you move out of 'run mode' but only after the Cards show they can stop/slow it.

The Cards will also lean run but IF the 49ers get out to a 2 score lead, they'll have to pass. In this scenario the 49ers are too good for the Cards to show patience and keep running.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 35-16 win over the Cards, improving to 4-0 on the season. A very solid win, particularly for the offense. The offense only had 5 3rd downs all day, converting 3 of them.

Purdy was 20 of 21 for 283yds, 1 TD and he added another TD on the ground. As a passer, he looked surgical out there. Might’ve been his best game yet. Passer rating of 134.6.
--Shanny showed a lot of trust in Purdy, calling a pass on 4th and 4, and Purdy hit Kittle for 9yds and a 1st down
--he CAN hit the deep ball, he hit BA for deep balls of 42 and 34yds
--his only incompletion was essentially a throw away on 3rd and 24, where he said he was trying to get the ball to CMC
--Brock showed some courage on one of the deep balls to BA, who was double covered on the play, but Brock trusted BA to make a play and he did

CMC was outstanding! He had 20 carries for 106yds, 3 TDs, and 7 catches for 71yds and another TD. He was unstoppable out there. He was running over people and even hurdled one player on a TD run
--Mason had 3 carries for 10yds, but he also caught a pass for 13yds and a first down.
--Juice actually got some play in this one. Carried twice for 3yds and caught 1 pass for 4yds. He also had a deep ball come his way on the first drive and the defender got called for DPI.

BA had 6 catches for 148yds. He caught all 6 passes that went his way and wow he showed some good hands
--Deebo was a nonfactor. He carried the ball 3 times for 6yds, but didn’t catch any passes b/c none were thrown his way. He got a lot of defensive attention.
--RayRay only caught 2 balls, but they went for 22yds and two first downs
--Bell had a nice play, catching a screen pass for 7yds. The FO really seems to like this kid’s potential.
--Snead was in for the injured Jennings and he even caught a pass for 9yds to go with some good downfield blocks
--Kittle had only 1 catch for 9yds and it came on a 4th down play. He did have some nice blocks though.

Overall, the OLine did well. Plenty of running room and Purdy was kept clean almost all day. They only gave up one hit on Purdy (the single sack they gave up).
--TW played well and didn't punch anyone
--McKivitz gave up his weekly sack to the Cards. He just whiffed. And Parsons is up next and will undoubtedly line up across from Colton every down. Unless we give him some help out there, we’re gonna be in trouble.
--Burford had a much better game than he has all year. That’s a positive sign going into the Dallas game.
--Brendel had some key blocks, as he was able to get to the 2nd level several times

The defense had some lapses, but overall played well. Only gave up 16 points, but wow did they give up a lot of yards to the Card skill players.
--Dobbs was 28 of 41 for 265yds and 2 TDs. And he ran 12 times for 48yds.
--Dobbs picked up FIVE first downs with his legs. The defense still struggles against a mobile QB.
--Hollywood Brown had 7 catches for 96yds and Wilson, a rookie from Stanford, had 7 catches for 76yds and TDs.
--Ertz had 6 catches for 53yds
--The Cards converted 8 of their 15 3rd downs and were 2 of 3 on 4th down tries. Too often, it was Dobbs's legs getting those first downs.

The Dline didn't get but one sack b/c the Cards were throwing a lot of quick passes, particularly on early downs. But they did get 7 Qb hits, with Bosa getting 4 of them (and also forcing 2 penalties on those blocking him)
--Hargrave got the team’s only sack, it came on 3rd and 10 and ended a Cardinal drive. he spent a lot of time in the backfield. He’s been great this season.
--Drake Jackson made a few nice plays out there. Including a snuffed out screen pass on 3rd down.
--Ferrell showed up a couple of times, flushing DObbs out of the pocket

Warner and Greenlaw each had 10 tackles. They helped hold Connor to just 52yds on 11 carries. Still, I thought Warner struggled some in this game. Not only did he give up a few catches in coverage, he also missed some open field tackles.
--it was interesting to watch Greenlaw throw his hands up after several plays, as if to say “I’m not hitting him after the whistle.”
--Greenlaw forced a holding penalty that helped end a Cardinal drive

The secondary struggled. Allowed Dobbs a passer rating of 102 and gave up some big plays in the 2 minute drill.
--Ward was ok out there. He struggled against Brown and was also flagged for DPI
--newly acquired Kendall Sheffield got in on some pays, getting 3 tackles, including a TFL. I had to keep looking up his number to find out who he was.
--Ambry Thomas stunk out there. Again. I have to keep wondering why he keeps getting PT. This is the 2nd time in the 2 minute drill that Thomas fell for a double move and given up big plays. It ended in a Cardinal TD. They thew it to whoever Thomas was covering. And he couldn’t stop them. Thomas was sent out to replace Isaiah Oliver in the second quarter. Arizona saw this and went right after the third-year corner. Thomas allowed a 33 yard completion to Michael Thomas on a deep throw down the left sideline. On the next play he was too shallow, and Thomas brought in a 16 yard touchdown. Oliver played the rest of the game--and that should continue!
--We got great play by both Gipson and Hufanga

Niners gave up a fake punt conversion when the ball was snapped to the upback Turner who got 2 yards and a 4th down conversion.
--Moody was fine on PATs, but he kicked a KO out of bounds again. That is 2 this season, giving the opponent the ball at the 40.
--newly acquired Kendall Sheffield made a great play to keep a punt out of the EZ, allowing Burks to down it at the 1
--Wishnowsky only had to punt the ball 1 time all day

Coaching
--Shanny had the offense working like a well-oiled machine. As a playcaller, he was in the zone. The passing game was surgical all day long. I was surprised we didn’t attempt more passes. I guess when the running game is going so well, why not keep running it.
--I am still wary that we are overusing CMC. At this rate, he won’t last. You can’t give a guy his size the ball 25-30 times per game. It just isn’t sustainable.
--Wilks’s defense had some lapses on Sunday. Particularly in man coverage on deep balls down the sideline. I have no idea what coaching stupidity keeps putting Ambry Thomas on the field but that needs to be stopped. Play the new guy, Brown. Hell, he was a starter for Dallas for years. He can’t be any worse than Thomas.

Next up is Dallas in SF. Dallas is one of the best teams in the league. It will be the biggest and toughest game of the year for the Niners, who have yet to play a complete game this year.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Below are Pro Football Focus' five highest-graded 49ers players on offense against the Cardinals.

Brandon Aiyuk, WR, 93.4, 42 snaps
Christian McCaffrey, RB, 91.0, 47 snaps
Trent Williams, LT, 90.1, 54 snaps
Brock Purdy, QB, 79.8, 54 snaps
Willie Snead IV, WR, 79.0, 7 snaps

Below are the five highest-graded 49ers players on defense.

Nick Bosa, DE, 89.6, 48 snaps
Kendall Sheffield, CB, 84.8, 12 snaps
Dre Greenlaw, LB, 70.1, 58 snaps
Oren Burks, LB, 68.9, 19 snaps
George Odum, FS, 67.2, 16 snaps

Below are the three lowest-graded 49ers players on offense.

Deebo Samuel, WR, 48.7, 48 snaps
Jordan Mason, RB, 57.0, 8 snaps
Charlie Woerner, TE, 58.0, 7 snaps

Below are the three lowest-graded 49ers players on defense.

Dee Winters, LB, 29.6, 11 snaps
Kerry Hyder Jr., DE, 47.5, 19 snaps
Javon Kinlaw, DT, 48.4, 30 snaps

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was lucky enough to get tickets to the game. Great atmosphere, but damn... the sunny side of Levi's Stadium is rough, lol. Or I'm just getting old. That was as good an offensive game I can remember since the 90's. I mean, they scored TD's on 5 of 6 possessions when the game was still in question - that's outstanding. The Cards had no answer for how quick Purdy was getting the ball out. TD's seemed like an inevitability on every posession. Feels good to finally have a QB in Shanahan's system that can run things the way he schemes it up. It's so ironic to see another team roll out a game plan to chew up the clock and limit offensive possessions. It's like looking in a mirror, lol. Both teams only had like 7 possessions, which is crazy in today's NFL. Great win overall to a Cards team that played hard all day. F@ck'n "A" people - we should be pretty excited.

Only blemish overall (and I'm nitpicking) is on defense. Like you pointed out above @Niner Outlaw, we still struggle with mobile QBs... it didn't seem like the d-line was getting as much pressure as expected. And Ambry got beat a lot.... being at the game, I got to focus on him for a bunch of plays. There's a lot for him to improve on. Dobbs is playing really well, so I don't want to take anything away from him, but we've made better QB's look pedestrian, and the consistent thing to me is the "mobile QB's". If we aren't getting d-line pressure, good teams will feast on our corners. That stuff won't fly with top-flight teams.

Last edited:

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JT's assessment of Purdy this week. At about the 18 minute mark, he critiques some of the play-calling concepts which was pretty enlightening.... I was kinda like "yeah, Shanny... what the hell were you thinking??" I don't think he's giving Purdy enough credit on the long bomb to Aiyuk... I think Purdy saw the safety's back and under-threw it on purpose since the coverage was there over the top.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JT's assessment of Purdy this week. At about the 18 minute mark, he critiques some of the play-calling concepts which was pretty enlightening.... I was kinda like "yeah, Shanny... what the hell were you thinking??" I don't think he's giving Purdy enough credit on the long bomb to Aiyuk... I think Purdy saw the safety's back and under-threw it on purpose since the coverage was there over the top.

Good point on teh bomb. BA was essentially double covered, but Purdy threw him open by getting the ball to the open side of the field.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Arizona II:

Its a damn good thing our offense scores a lot of points, the run defense was horrible today. :-)

Today shows that Purdy is the MVP, if he's out then the 49ers are out. CMC is clearly a damn good player and deserves all the accolades, but when it comes to our quest for a SB, Purdy is the one player who can't get hurt. Granted Darnold's sample size was small, but we could still see the difference.

Along the Purdy line, the offensive line isn't getting enough credit for giving Purdy time.

Lenore is playing out of his mind.

Jay'ir Brown is a small Safety and moves FAST, but he needs to improve consistency as we go forward.

Is Chase Young playing well enough to get us a comp 3rd?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of missed tackles on defense.

Brown probably had his worst game so far. Bad angles, missed tackles, blown assignments.

You could tell that we really missed Hargrave and Armstead in the middle. Kinlaw and Givens weren't bad at rushing the passer, but they couldn't hold up against the run.

Wasn't sure if Ward was even going to play, but he had a great game with 2 picks, including the pick 6!

Purdy throws 4 TDs and had another great game. The Oline had some shaky moments, but didn't really give up a lot of pressure. Purdy picked apart the Zona defense.

CMC had another great game. He seemed to be open in the passing game all day long and he was a beast on the ground. Continues to lead the league in rushing and yards from scrimmage and is tied for the league lead in TDs (with Mostert).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lots of missed tackles on defense.

Brown probably had his worst game so far. Bad angles, missed tackles, blown assignments.

You could tell that we really missed Hargrave and Armstead in the middle. Kinlaw and Givens weren't bad at rushing the passer, but they couldn't hold up against the run.

Wasn't sure if Ward was even going to play, but he had a great game with 2 picks, including the pick 6!

Purdy throws 4 TDs and had another great game. The Oline had some shaky moments, but didn't really give up a lot of pressure. Purdy picked apart the Zona defense.

CMC had another great game. He seemed to be open in the passing game all day long and he was a beast on the ground. Continues to lead the league in rushing and yards from scrimmage and is tied for the league lead in TDs (with Mostert).
Too bad Khalia Davis got hurt, this WAS his time to really show his stuff. Oh well....

Ja'yir Brown just needs reps to 'refine' his angles........we hope. But he looks small at Safety so the tackling part is.......is.......