• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Will A New HC Mean to Some of Our Veteran Players?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah that's my thought. Adams/Diggs were not worth $2M let alone $26/20M respectively. Dissly $10M lol... Kelce is like $15M lol.. I did like Dissly early on, but the guy can't stay healthy.. Those guys were worth like 10-20% of their cap hit, easy cuts.

Now Lockett... certainly not worth $26M, but like $13M? 50% of his value? Sure... I think most teams would be fine to have Lockett for $13M especially if in a little more of a reduced capacity... I think that's why Seattle is thinking through things.

Mone was also cut (another no brainer, like $4M cap saved). I mean at this point you maybe have like Bellore... but Seattle has kind of trimmed out everything they can, with exception of Lockett or Reed. Reed is about $6M this year (like $5M saved if we cut), but he actually earned it last year at least as a pass rusher IMO. $6M for a decent interior pass rusher is worth (especially when you just move on a year later and he's getting older)... you should be able to find run defenders for far cheaper. And maybe Cam Young can take a step forward.
Yep, things are happening pretty much along the lines of what we thought with respect to the cap moves. Mone for sure was mentioned in here as well.

Don't know what my number would be for TL. Cutting in half of what it is right now is surely a win.

As soon as Russ's cut becomes official, Denver will blow us out of the water but I heard multiple times yesterday that Seattle has the most dead cap in the league. Not sure it means a whole lot in terms of our ability to make moves though, but I'm ok "failing early" as Brock would say to get through these waters now and have smoother sailing down the road.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So happy to see Lockett restructure... 30 million / 2 year contract - 13 million guarantee. with a potential of capping at 34 million..

I want him to retire as a Seahawk having played his entire career here... Assuming he'll retire after this contract so I'm stoked that he restructured... Still a very key component of our passing game...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So happy to see Lockett restructure... 30 million / 2 year contract - 13 million guarantee. with a potential of capping at 34 million..

I want him to retire as a Seahawk having played his entire career here... Assuming he'll retire after this contract so I'm stoked that he restructured... Still a very key component of our passing game...

Yah, I said in the offseason that I still thought Tyler was worth around $15M per.... he's still a productive receiver and he was dealing with a couple of nagging injuries last year. He still almost put up 1K yards and led the team in receptions. He's sure handed and clutch in getting yards for first downs. He didn't have any big plays, but I think that was Carroll going ULTRA conservative because the defense sucked ass.

In any event, we had to do something about him because he was NOT worth a $26M cap hit. I like you am very glad he decided to come back. And frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he sat down with his agent, and the agent said, "Look, you're going to at best get about $15M per on the open market - and nobody is going to give you some 5 year $80M contract.... do you really want to pick up and move from Seattle (no state income tax, expensive real estate but he already has a home, which will continue to increase likely) for that?"

Going to be really interesting to see what Grubb will do with this crew. I felt like Waldron really didn't get a fair shake... hard to do much on offense with the worst TOP defense in the NFL (sporting the 3rd worst 3rd down conversion rate).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty quiet day for the Hawks in free agency... about the biggest news other than no news is 2/3 of our FA TEs finding new homes. I was thinking maybe Dissly had a decent chance to be brought back, but it looks like he's a Charger.

I like our position right now. No players that are good fits for us that I think we've missed out on yet, and I believe we are still working with north of $50M in cap space. That is plenty to re-sign Leonard Williams and be big players for anyone else still out there.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Jordyn Brooks is off to Miami. Maybe I think that is a bigger loss than most, but with Bobby Wagner reportedly not returning (heard this yesterday by I believe Brady Henderson), we have a sucking chest wound at LB. Maybe this is setting up to sign Patrick Queen, but that is still probably not enough.

Damien Lewis gone as well. I haven't looked at the details behind the headline numbers, but that dollar amount was a bit shocking. I cannot say I am upset we didn't pay that to keep him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Jordyn Brooks is off to Miami. Maybe I think that is a bigger loss than most, but with Bobby Wagner reportedly not returning (heard this yesterday by I believe Brady Henderson), we have a sucking chest wound at LB. Maybe this is setting up to sign Patrick Queen, but that is still probably not enough.

Damien Lewis gone as well. I haven't looked at the details behind the headline numbers, but that dollar amount was a bit shocking. I cannot say I am upset we didn't pay that to keep him.

I mean the story of yesterday seemed to be teams overpaying, and I dunno what it was with Seattle's players, but Jesus.

Brooks leaving does create a hole, but now he's had some injuries, he's terrible in coverage, he's never really been great at pass rushing, and he's OKAY against the run, but meh. I dunno about $10M although maybe the thought process is better coaching or a change of scenery may help.

Dissly is one of the best blockers in the game, but he can't stay healthy and TE blockers are generally pretty easy to find and are meant to be cheap. I hated Dissly's contract with Seattle in the first place, so not sure why he was again rewarded.

Colby Parkinson was a surprise as well... maybe under McVay he can flourish though.

Now as for Damien Lewis, WTF was that? I get the Panthers are desperate to build up their OL for Young (who took a ridiculous number of sacks) but WHAT!? Damien Lewis still missed a couple games last year (a recurring theme) and in a contract year looked TERRIBLE.. yet somehow he was rewarded? I was thinking Lewis would've got that contract if he played like he did in 2022. I thought after last year it'd be a 2 year $14M prove it deal or something.

On our side, we overpaid slightly for Fant but no question the guy has talent and he's not a HORRIBLE blocker by any stretch - in fact his pass blocking has vastly improved (prob. because he was forced to learn by Carroll - who infamously took Jimmy Graham and forced him to block lol). Carroll has never really figured out how to use his tight ends since he wants them blocking 24/7, so I'll be curious if Fant breaks out with Grubb's style.

The Leonard Williams wasn't a BARGAIN but it was still a decent signing. I can't give it an A or anything but I can't give it anything average or below average. It was a solid/above average signing. And at least we didn't make the same mistake with Sheldon Richardson, giving up a 2nd for a 1 year rental...

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the story of yesterday seemed to be teams overpaying, and I dunno what it was with Seattle's players, but Jesus.

I think if you're not willing to "overpay" at least a little, you're not signing anyone of significance on day 1 of free agency. That's just the cost of doing business in the open market. Some of those contracts won't look nearly as bad in a year from now, and avg annual value can also be very deceiving. Anything after this season is fungible.
Brooks leaving does create a hole, but now he's had some injuries, he's terrible in coverage, he's never really been great at pass rushing, and he's OKAY against the run, but meh. I dunno about $10M although maybe the thought process is better coaching or a change of scenery may help.

I guess I have a higher opinion of Brooks. He was probably our most aggressive tackler vs the run. Spotrac is reporting his deal with Miami as 3 years for $26.25M. That's a low enough number (guessing his 2024 cap hit will be less than $8M) that makes me conclude the team was just ready to move on. I definitely think he is worth that amount; I guess Miami agrees with me more than the Hawks.

Dissly is one of the best blockers in the game, but he can't stay healthy and TE blockers are generally pretty easy to find and are meant to be cheap. I hated Dissly's contract with Seattle in the first place, so not sure why he was again rewarded.

Dissly has actually been a fairly healthy player for a while -- at least 15 games played in every season for 4 straight years. His production has just really fallen off, and I don't think you can pay a blocker as much as he was due to get. TE production on the whole took a decent dip in 2023, so maybe it wasn't all on him. Fairly easy cap move though. If his deal with the Chargers is 3 years, $14M as reported on Spotrac, I don't think that's outlandish when the cap is now $252M and who knows how much next year.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dissly has actually been a fairly healthy player for a while -- at least 15 games played in every season for 4 straight years. His production has just really fallen off, and I don't think you can pay a blocker as much as he was due to get. TE production on the whole took a decent dip in 2023, so maybe it wasn't all on him. Fairly easy cap move though. If his deal with the Chargers is 3 years, $14M as reported on Spotrac, I don't think that's outlandish when the cap is now $252M and who knows how much next year.

Eh perhaps. We seem to have forgotten about our tight ends last year.... but it was weird that Dissly just fell off. I kind of wondered if there was some nagging injury that despite being active for games, was getting limited playtime/production as a result.

And on your Brooks point, maybe... Brooks was a good downhill tackler, but good God the liability of pre-snap recognition that he never had and ability to play any form of coverage/zone was maddening. He also really never developed any pass rushing skills. I will NOT miss teams being able to pass with absolute ease over the middle of the field and to tight ends.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Steelers got Queen. Sucks. Maybe Wagner still ends up back here despite rumors to the contrary.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby Parkinson was a surprise as well... maybe under McVay he can flourish though.
Parkinson needs more targets next season. I like his game. The NFL seems to be in a golden era for TEs. Parkinson could be our guy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, B-Wagz off to go finish things out with DQ in DC.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, B-Wagz off to go finish things out with DQ in DC.
Like I said in the main forum FA thread. It's sad seeing Wagz finish up like that. I know it's hard for a guy like him to admit he's lost a little and hang em up but I would have liked to see him retire and go out with a Hawks uni on. At any rate, whenever he calls it quits, we can hang the 54 up on the board and he can await the gold jacket. That will be a good day.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said in the main forum FA thread. It's sad seeing Wagz finish up like that. I know it's hard for a guy like him to admit he's lost a little and hang em up but I would have liked to see him retire and go out with a Hawks uni on. At any rate, whenever he calls it quits, we can hang the 54 up on the board and he can await the gold jacket. That will be a good day.

I'm sure he will get a 1 day contract and retire as a Seahawk when it comes to that point.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he will get a 1 day contract and retire as a Seahawk when it comes to that point.
Yeah, no doubt in my mind there. It's just that he has clearly lost a lot of his speed and it's just hard to watch him play somewhere else. I understand he isn't ready to call it quits though so wish him well.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A great primer on Macdonald and the Ravens D along with some good overviews of the Seahawks defense for the past few years.

Matty Brown is always great. And here he hits the nail on the head on one of the big head scratchers of the late era Pete defenses. Look at this chart he provides and you can probably figure it out....

1710712417217.png

It seemed like the PC/JS regime were allergic to beefy guys in the middle and it hurt the defense. The Seahawks still haven't addressed this but I think that they will. Those meaty NTs can often be found late in FA. They could also draft one.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a bit of a surprise that unless we bring Clowney back, it looks like we will not sign any of Balt's free agent defensive players.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a bit of a surprise that unless we bring Clowney back, it looks like we will not sign any of Balt's free agent defensive players.

I think they may have been overpriced because of how good the Baltimore defense was last year. Also tells us that Macdonald didn't think his defense was a product of the talent on the field. That could be good or bad.