• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Will A New HC Mean to Some of Our Veteran Players?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a bit of a surprise that unless we bring Clowney back, it looks like we will not sign any of Balt's free agent defensive players.

They played so well they out priced the Hawks i guess. I thought for sure they would look at Geno Stone seeing as the hawks needed/need starter quality safeties. I am fine with Love and ?Jenkins? for a season but would 100% like better. then again they were 21st against the pass and 31st against the run so maybe "the back end" isn't as big of a need as the "Front end" of the defense. They have not did much there also though.

Also to be fair, Pete is old school but he was a great defensive coach like it or not. Macdonald has his work cut out for him. If Pete couldn't turn these guys into a good group then i think it takes a couple years to get the right players in here for Macdonald to do it.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They played so well they out priced the Hawks i guess. I thought for sure they would look at Geno Stone seeing as the hawks needed/need starter quality safeties. I am fine with Love and ?Jenkins? for a season but would 100% like better. then again they were 21st against the pass and 31st against the run so maybe "the back end" isn't as big of a need as the "Front end" of the defense. They have not did much there also though.

Also to be fair, Pete is old school but he was a great defensive coach like it or not. Macdonald has his work cut out for him. If Pete couldn't turn these guys into a good group then i think it takes a couple years to get the right players in here for Macdonald to do it.

Well some of it was scheme too... Seattle towards the end was making no adjustments. Just soft zone, soft zone, soft zone... hardly any man coverage... 2 down lineman, went in with no run stuffers (we still really don't have one so there's that, but why the fuck make the switch to a 3-4 then which requires a giant double team fat guy who will never really get through but consumes 2?). Woolen who you know is not a great run defender, putting him in a position where if he doesn't make a GREAT run stop, the play is going to BURST wide open... I mean, the decision making was absolutely baffling to me. There was no scheming, adjustments, or ANYTHING happening on that team. Just 'stick with that works' when it wasn't working. That wasn't just last year, that was the year before. I know Adams basically mailed it in last year, but that aside there was WAY Too much talent on that D to be the worst TOP defense, 3rd worst 3rd down allowed, and bottom 5 overall defense in the league... WAY too much draft capital and money.

The number of times it was 3rd and long and I was like, "Here comes a screen" and then it came for a first down was just *roll my eyes* and come whine on this forum.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well some of it was scheme too... Seattle towards the end was making no adjustments. Just soft zone, soft zone, soft zone... hardly any man coverage... 2 down lineman, went in with no run stuffers (we still really don't have one so there's that, but why the fuck make the switch to a 3-4 then which requires a giant double team fat guy who will never really get through but consumes 2?). Woolen who you know is not a great run defender, putting him in a position where if he doesn't make a GREAT run stop, the play is going to BURST wide open... I mean, the decision making was absolutely baffling to me. There was no scheming, adjustments, or ANYTHING happening on that team. Just 'stick with that works' when it wasn't working. That wasn't just last year, that was the year before. I know Adams basically mailed it in last year, but that aside there was WAY Too much talent on that D to be the worst TOP defense, 3rd worst 3rd down allowed, and bottom 5 overall defense in the league... WAY too much draft capital and money.

The number of times it was 3rd and long and I was like, "Here comes a screen" and then it came for a first down was just *roll my eyes* and come whine on this forum.

I continue to lay the blame at Pete's feet. He kept believing that if everyone would just execute, things would work because it did during the LoB years. The problem was that we simply didn't have the same level of talent. We didn't have All-Pro Bobby or Pro Bowl KJ or All-Pro Earl or Pro Bowl Kam. Red Bryant wasn't a monster but he also didn't face many double teams because we had Avril and Bennet and Mebane.

I do think there is some talent on the defense but I also think that they were expecting too much from the guys we had. Dre Jones all but said he was screwed by the scheme. Edwards and Reed were also but in tough spots, especially on the run D. Ultimately we just didn't have enough meat on the line.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I continue to lay the blame at Pete's feet. He kept believing that if everyone would just execute, things would work because it did during the LoB years. The problem was that we simply didn't have the same level of talent. We didn't have All-Pro Bobby or Pro Bowl KJ or All-Pro Earl or Pro Bowl Kam. Red Bryant wasn't a monster but he also didn't face many double teams because we had Avril and Bennet and Mebane.

I do think there is some talent on the defense but I also think that they were expecting too much from the guys we had. Dre Jones all but said he was screwed by the scheme. Edwards and Reed were also but in tough spots, especially on the run D. Ultimately we just didn't have enough meat on the line.

Yah, and unless Cam steps up we still have some beef problems on the DL. Maybe we can grab some nose tackles with our 4th or 6th this year. I think both lines need to be addressed and the ILB (for depth - and if Dodson/Jacobs kill it we may not be able to sign both). I took McKinley Jackson (actually watched him a bit since a long time co-worker is an Aggies fan) in the 4th round with a couple mocks I played around with.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah, and unless Cam steps up we still have some beef problems on the DL. Maybe we can grab some nose tackles with our 4th or 6th this year. I think both lines need to be addressed and the ILB (for depth - and if Dodson/Jacobs kill it we may not be able to sign both). I took McKinley Jackson (actually watched him a bit since a long time co-worker is an Aggies fan) in the 4th round with a couple mocks I played around with.

I am hoping that they plan to get some big road graders late in FA or the UDFA market at least on the defensive side.

We signed Tremayne Anchrum today, who I never heard of and was apparently a backup for the Rams OL.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping that they plan to get some big road graders late in FA or the UDFA market at least on the defensive side.

We signed Tremayne Anchrum today, who I never heard of and was apparently a backup for the Rams OL.

Yah saw that... might just be an extra body. There are still quite a few IDL big boys available as well that could be had for likely vet min. Left guard is much harder to play than RG though (which Anchrum did for very few snaps) so I think targeting a guard early on to play at left guard is key. Very hard to find solid left guards in free agency.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is a swing olineman that can play at guard and tackle. Those type guys are valuable as depth.