• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saad as 2nd Line Center?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Beach, the 11th overall pick in the 2008 draft, is on waivers, according to USA Today’s Kevin Allen.

Once a player reaches a certain amount of pro (AHL or NHL) games, they must clear waivers in order to be placed in the minors. The salary is what the “2-way” is describing. When a player signs a 2-way deal, they are given an AHL salary and a NHL salary.

Beach is making $110k at the AHL level and $550k at the NHL level, so while Beach is playing in the AHL, he will make $110k and the $550k will not count against the cap. This is the benefit of a 2-way deal, not being exempt from waivers. Rookies and players on an entry-level deal are exempt from waivers because they haven’t exceeded the limit of pro games, not because they are on a 2-way deal.

Does this make it clearer for you?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, a very simple Google search would have told you that Beach was put on waivers.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to "sources", Q pretty sure Handzus is the second line center.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chicago Blackhawks announced today they have assigned forwards Mark McNeill, Garret Ross and Alex Broadhurst, defensemen Dylan Olsen, Klas Dahlbeck and Adam Clendening, and goaltender Kent Simpson to the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League. In addition, the team has assigned forward Teuvo Teravainen to Jokerit of SM-liiga in Finland and forward Ryan Hartman to the Ontario Hockey League’s Plymouth Whalers.

The Blackhawks have also released defenseman Viktor Svedberg from training camp.
The team’s active roster now includes 23 forwards, 10 defensemen and three goaltenders.
The Blackhawks continue the 2013 preseason tonight (Sept. 23) in Pittsburgh at 6 p.m. CT. The game can be heard on WGNRadio.com or on the WGN Radio mobile app.

now I may just be a simple guy but I don't see kyle on this list?

Viktor Svedberg looked really good, good hands, massive size, undrafted like Shaw. I dont know how it works since he was not drafted and just invited to camp, but can they sign him and assign him out with Teuvo or does he just enter the draft again next year?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Viktor Svedberg looked really good, good hands, massive size, undrafted like Shaw. I dont know how it works since he was not drafted and just invited to camp, but can they sign him and assign him out with Teuvo or does he just enter the draft again next year?

Svedberg has an AHL-only contract with the IceHogs, which means he'll be ineligible to be called up by the Hawks this year unless they sign him to an NHL contract, which I doubt will happen right now. He looked good but is far from ready for NHL action, so I doubt they'll waste one of their 50 NHL contract slots on him this year. If he impresses in the AHL this year expect them to sign him to a 2-way contract for next season.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was announced that Svedberg was released from the Hawks...not assigned to Rockford of the AHL.

So, in my estimation, that means he is RELEASED. If the Hawks felt they wanted him on the Ice Dogs, wouldn't they have assigned him to Rockford?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha, thanks. If he had a one way contract as mentioned before, wouldn't he have just been assigned to Rockford instead of being released and then signed? Or was he without an AHL contract?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More #Blackhawks cuts: LeBlanc, T. Broadhurst, Danault, Froese, Beach and Raanta. All go to Rockford. Mills and Shalunov also head there.

Hawks roster stands at 28. They expect to be at 23 by the opener.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha, thanks. If he had a one way contract as mentioned before, wouldn't he have just been assigned to Rockford instead of being released and then signed? Or was he without an AHL contract?

Welcome. I'm learning this on the fly, too...

Svedberg had signed an AHL contract for 2013-2014 with the IceHogs back in May. He was invited to the Hawks camp on a try-out contract only. So, when the Hawks decided he wasn't going to make the team they "released" him from the tryout contract, meaning all ties with the Hawks were severed, at which point he was obligated to honor the AHL contract he had already signed with the IceHogs.

If he had a one-way contract with the Hawks, he would have been "waived" and, pending clearing waivers, "assigned" to Rockford. If he had a two-way contract with the Hawks, it would depend on whether or not he was waiver exempt, but he would still have been "assigned" to Rockford as he would have been property of the Hawks and counted against their 50 contract limit.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Antii Raanta to Rockford as expected too. He looked really good, lost his net a couple times gave up 4 and stopped the caps top 3 in a shootout. He looked small at 170 pounds, I wonder how the weight they expect him to add will change his game. Definitely looked better than Khabi, but the vet in a preseason game should not be the vet every three or four games. Just think Crow is gonna end up working more during the season.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Thought Raanta looked mediocre at best. Plays small because he is. Gave up 4 but 2 were unstoppable. One was a really bad goal short side. He'll improve with some coaching and experience with the North American game.

Khabibulin pkayed well last night. Only two goals. He's on great shape. Only thing I worry about is shootouts with him.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The subject may be a few days old but I wanted to weigh in on the whole "goon" discussion.

During the playoffs, the Hawks were not given much of a chance to win by the media. Among the reasons were opposing goal-tenders and the lack of "physicality" of the Hawks roster. Most of the "tough guys" that the Hawks had were essentially a liability on the ice. And for most games, guys like Carcillo, Mayers and Bollig were a healthy scratch.

Despite a "tough guy" deficiency on their roster, the Hawks won it all. They showed the entire NHL that you don't need a goon to win. And even Mike "Doc" Emrick said something along that train of thought during the celebrating after the stunning end to game 6.

Emrick praised Coach Q for his coaching "scheme" and hinted that perhaps 'the same type of formula that helped the Hawks win 2 Cups in the last 4 seasons will start to be copied by other NHL teams.'

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can't be copied for a couple of reasons:

Other teams don't have the speed or the talent. In order to counteract that lack of speed and talent, teams will try to be physical with the Hawks in an attempt to injure, frustrate or just throw the Hawks off their game.

Doesn't work though. Speed and skill wins out.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not talking goons, I am talking guys that will stand up. Were there even any fights last year with the hawks? I dont think so, maybe Bollig a couple times playing his role.

The teams did not take out enough hawks last year, but they definitely tried. They know that is the way to get past the hawks. They took out Hossa, they took out Toews with yet another concussion missing game 5. How many concussions can Toews continue to take before his career is over? When the teams dont take him out, speed kills, when teams continue to go after Toews because they know their stars will not get any retribution, then its a problem. Everybody likes Kane, he stays out of corners, but somebody is gonna target him like they did in 2011. I cannot believe why you dont even want a deterrent on the ice.

When Carcillo got here, he was on the line with Toews and Kane. One of them got hit, Carcillo dropped the bomb on the guy that hit them immediately. Q put him on that line for that reason. Then Carcillo decided to become a finesse player to prove he was more than a goon. He was off the top line, eventually tore up his knee. You really think Bickell was on that line for just his hockey skill or because he will blow someone up? You gotta protect these guys to build the dynasty.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Thought Raanta looked mediocre at best. Plays small because he is. Gave up 4 but 2 were unstoppable. One was a really bad goal short side. He'll improve with some coaching and experience with the North American game.

Khabibulin pkayed well last night. Only two goals. He's on great shape. Only thing I worry about is shootouts with him.

My point is the hawks know he will need to add size and I question how his quickness fits in to adding 20 pounds to be the size of an nhl goalie.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#Blackhawks lines today; Bickell-Toews-Kane; Sharp-Handzus-Hayes; Saad-Shaw-Smith; Bollig-Kruget-Nordstrom. Pirri and Morin no line.

Hossa still out with an injury.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the plan was with Saad at center if they dont even have room for Ben Smith to play center. I know he will probably be that second center on the ice in game saving situations if Toews gets tossed, but still makes you wonder.