• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The most improved NFL teams so far in the 2024 off-season (FA's, re-signing, trades, etc.)...at least on paper

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that the Falcons had the #4 rated offensive line last year. If they are even in the top ten next season, with the receivers they have, Cousins will have all day to throw. It doesn't mean they are going to be SB contenders, but they will easily be a playoff team as Cousins has proven he is a great regular season QB. That's why I think they will be the most improved team.

I like what Washington is doing, but I'm going to tap the breaks on them being this greatly improved team in 2024. They have Mariotta and Fromm as their two QB's right now. They also have a new coach, although I think Quinn is a good coach. I could see them moving from 4 wins to 8, but that still wouldn't make them a playoff team, even though they doubled their wins. They are likely going to get the #2 QB in the draft, unless they trade back. If they go the rookie QB route (which I think they will), I don't see them greatly improving next year. Although I've already been wrong many times today. :D
agree,but not expecting Washington playoff berth in 2024

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore lost 3 OL to FA.

Henry is a great RB but he still needs an OL to block. The signing looked really good until OL players started leaving.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keaton Mitchell was showing out last year prior to his injury (8.4 ypc), albeit in limited carries. I think he's still part of the mix. Henry averaged half of that last year, still solid but league average-ish.
Sample size. Mitchell had 47 carries.

Won't average 8.4ypc with an increased workload.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he's a dominant force.

He wasn't even the most effective RB on the Titans last year. He's a legend, but that freight train is slowing a bit. Plus, the Ravens lost the right side of their OL with no additions to replace (relying on in house options and the draft I guess). If he can bounce back to 2020 efficiency, then congrats. I'll believe it when I see it though. He was basically Gus Johnson last year, only with more carries. Sure, Ravens OL was better than the Titans, but that OL is no longer fully intact.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sample size. Mitchell had 47 carries.

Won't average 8.4ypc with an increased workload.

Of course not. I'm just giving an example of how well he was playing. From Nov to mid Dec, he was making the most of about 9 carries per game. All of his production was in a 6 game span. In only 1 of those games was he held under 6 ypc (and that was 4.1, still league average-ish).

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Henry is a great RB but he still needs an OL to block. The signing looked really good until OL players started leaving.
I don't think their defense will be as good either.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't even the most effective RB on the Titans last year. He's a legend, but that freight train is slowing a bit. Plus, the Ravens lost the right side of their OL with no additions to replace (relying on in house options and the draft I guess). If he can bounce back to 2020 efficiency, then congrats. I'll believe it when I see it though. He was basically Gus Johnson last year, only with more carries. Sure, Ravens OL was better than the Titans, but that OL is no longer fully intact.
I could go either way on Henry. RB's usually fade quickly. You would think that he would begin really showing more wear and tear on his game, but he still is putting up REALLY solid numbers. He carried the ball 20% less in 2023 than 2022, and still had the same average yards per carry and TD's. I think he was still a pro bowl RB too. The next closest guy on the team had less than 500 yards rushing, while he still had nearly 1200 yards.

I don't watch the Titans much. I just have to go by his stats, which often doesn't paint a complete picture, so I definitely could be overvaluing him due to primarily looking at stats. It does seem that he is still arguably a top 5 RB in the NFL right now (I say arguably, so maybe top 8 is a better number, but I'm sure there are some that would argue top 5).

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 1.02.53 PM.png

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think their defense will be as good either.

I think we'll start to see the holes in Baltimore in the next few years. There was a reason that they dragged their feet giving Lamar a big contract extension. With the bigger salary cap next year, it should help them a bit, but having a QB consuming that big a % of the team's salary cap usually has some harsh ramifications on keeping your best talent at other positions.

At $8 million a year, Henry was too good a deal for them to pass up. Let's see if he can still give them 4+ ypc, and around 1200-1500 rushing yards.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ Reader to the Lions seems like its low-key one of the bigger moves. Seems like he was a core piece of the Bengals D and could end up really helping the Lions if they fix their secondary. Lions did add 2 CBs that maybe raise the floor of their secondary but I think they still might need to hit on a rookie, as well.

Chicago and Atlanta probably the most improved overall.
Three corners if you count resigning Mosley, who didn’t play this year.

With you needing to draft another. They don’t have a #1.

But are closer to average talent wise on defense than they were.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that the Falcons had the #4 rated offensive line last year. If they are even in the top ten next season, with the receivers they have, Cousins will have all day to throw. It doesn't mean they are going to be SB contenders, but they will easily be a playoff team as Cousins has proven he is a great regular season QB. That's why I think they will be the most improved team.

I like what Washington is doing, but I'm going to tap the breaks on them being this greatly improved team in 2024. They have Mariotta and Fromm as their two QB's right now. They also have a new coach, although I think Quinn is a good coach. I could see them moving from 4 wins to 8, but that still wouldn't make them a playoff team, even though they doubled their wins. They are likely going to get the #2 QB in the draft, unless they trade back. If they go the rookie QB route (which I think they will), I don't see them greatly improving next year. Although I've already been wrong many times today. :D
You are evaluating Washington by who is their backup QBs in March? That's pretty weird. This team was horribly coached with horrible talent. Keep in mind they won 4 games last year so it's easier for them to show big improvement.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are evaluating Washington by who is their backup QBs in March? That's pretty weird. This team was horribly coached with horrible talent. Keep in mind they won 4 games last year so it's easier for them to show big improvement.

Yeah, seeing that most teams don’t change QB’s this late in the offseason. :noidea: I imagine they go with a rookie QB this fall. Which doesn’t often end in great results.

Obviously you didn’t read my post as I said the same thing about them improving easily coming off a 4 win season, and getting good coach.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The obvious answer is washington, but thats also because they were horrific last year.

Spectacularly bad.

Only way to go is up.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should improve for sure. A lot will depend on who they draft and if the kid lives up to the hype and can be protected and maybe if their defense can just get close to average. I'm not a big Dan Quinn fan from a coaching perspective but as a leader and culture guy, I like him. We will see what Kingsbury brings to the table at O.C. Has to be better than what Bienemy brought, I would think. They can't have their rookie QB dropping back 600+ times and getting sacked 4 times a game on average.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll start to see the holes in Baltimore in the next few years. There was a reason that they dragged their feet giving Lamar a big contract extension. With the bigger salary cap next year, it should help them a bit, but having a QB consuming that big a % of the team's salary cap usually has some harsh ramifications on keeping your best talent at other positions.

At $8 million a year, Henry was too good a deal for them to pass up. Let's see if he can still give them 4+ ypc, and around 1200-1500 rushing yards.
They lost 3 OL to FA and haven't really addressed it so far.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did but I think it might help that they have a good Oline coach in D'Alessandris. They seem to consistently have a pretty solid line. We'll have to see if they address it in the draft or if other guys can step up. It might help Henry that so much attention is paid to Lamar as well. He legit scares defenses and RBs get lanes that they normally wouldn't simply because of guys spying or over committing to Jackson.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They like their young backups. They'll probably add another in the draft.

Their defense is a bigger issue since they lost their DC, but Harbaugh is a great coach and knows that side of the ball.