• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023 Season... A look back and a look forward!

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i drafted him in my league. im thinking about playing him Sunday. Would you start him over Watson?
The Browns are playing the Bengals at home. I'm sure Watson will be better than 2022 however, you really think he slays the dragon out of the gate to kick off the 2023 season? I do not. Having said that, we are lucky to be playing a team that appears to be looking to next year already (front office wise), a QB who has started a few games in the NFL and holes up front on the OL. I believe Howell will get a few more opportunities this week than normal because of it (Cards situation) and capitalize. Yes, play Howell at home for this game under new ownership, an energized sold-out fan base vs Cardinals.

You want to be a believer Dean, this would be the game to do it. You asked, just my 2 cents. I'm starting Allen Monday night at QB. My backup QB, Rodgers, lol.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns are playing the Bengals at home. I'm sure Watson will be better than 2022 however, you really think he slays the dragon out of the gate to kick off the 2023 season? I do not. Having said that, we are lucky to be playing a team that appears to be looking to next year already (front office wise), a QB who has started a few games in the NFL and holes up front on the OL. I believe Howell will get a few more opportunities this week than normal because of it (Cards situation) and capitalize. Yes, play Howell at home for this game under new ownership, an energized sold-out fan base vs Cardinals.

You want to be a believer Dean, this would be the game to do it. You asked, just my 2 cents. I'm starting Allen Monday night at QB. My backup QB, Rodgers, lol.

I'm a believer no doubt. I didnt even want to respond to sty.

I am also starting Brian Robinson so I dont know if I should start Howell with Robinson. I was thinking we get a big lead and run Robinson which will hurt Howells numbers. Watson should be throwing alot vs the Bengals. Im still undecided. thanks for your opinion.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am also starting Brian Robinson so I dont know if I should start Howell with Robinson. I was thinking we get a big lead and run Robinson which will hurt Howells numbers. Watson should be throwing alot vs the Bengals. Im still undecided. thanks for your opinion.
i would go with SH in a FF scenario for week one

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's really all it is, including Sty's opinion. None of us know yet what Howell will be so its a "hurry up and wait" scenario or as I said to Sty, "we'll see". I like what I have seen so far from Howell to date. Let the bullets fly Sunday and see how he responds. My guess, he will have a solid day of something like 22-30, 233 yards, 2 passing TD's, 1 run TD, 0 int. A QB rating close to 100.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really all it is, including Sty's opinion. None of us know yet what Howell will be so its a "hurry up and wait" scenario or as I said to Sty, "we'll see". I like what I have seen so far from Howell to date. Let the bullets fly Sunday and see how he responds. My guess, he will have a solid day of something like 22-30, 233 yards, 2 passing TD's, 1 run TD, 0 int. A QB rating close to 100.

I agree. I hope you are right about Howell

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rr showed how ignorant he was a hc 2 times the last year,1st by not knowing a loss to the browns eliminated us from the playoffs,and 2 by calling out eb to the press in training camp.i think his best years as coach are gone and i look forward to his replacement.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s my annual summary of the off-season and why this will be a great time to take advantage of a pretty good roster now by getting a star-quality QB as quickly as possible.

Ron Rivera enters year 4 in primarily the same situation that he found himself in three seasons ago. He’s done little to elevate the player quality on a team in desperate need of upgrades especially on the offensive side of the ball. To his credit, there were two signings that piqued my interest and I believe will make it easier to transition from a middle-of-the-pack team to an annual contender.

The first signing… Eric Bieniemy. I am fully confident in our new OC and what he brings to the team. I see him as a future HC and possible replacement for Rivera when that dismissal finally takes place.

The second signing… Jacoby Brissett, who is arguably the best QB Ron has signed since being named HC. (More on him in my predictions post)

In the meantime, almost every job along the offensive front will be up for grabs and bears watching. I believe that the team believes that it is set in their receivers’ room and interestingly enough at TE. This unit finished near the bottom in rushing yards last year and the moves/upgrades for the 2023 season are questionable at best.

On the defensive side of the ball, there are major questions too. Will Chase Young bounce back and become the player that he was drafted to be? How will the transition from utilizing linebacker to more DBs work out and speaking of our defensive backfield will this infusion of youth take time, fail altogether, or become the reliable, ball-hawking strength that Rivera envisions and will rely on to win football games? In a league designed to exhibit offense, winning games 20-17 may be okay if you want to stay average, but I believe that it's a sign that the game has passed old-style coaches like Rivera by because of the way the game is now played.

Here are my annual predictions:

• I won’t make the annual W/L prediction unless asked because, over the last 3 years, it has upset a few folks on this site despite being highly accurate. The ONLY thing that I will predict is a top 5 pick in next year’s draft.
  • Sam Howell will start the season despite not being the better choice at this point in his career. This will be another blunder for Rivera in his now-infamous bend toward proving himself right about his starting QB choices. Howell himself will perform adequately, but on a team nearly primed to announce itself as a serious contender, adequate simply won’t do. BTW; For those of you who insist that improved QB play will garner better results, your logic is flawed in that it assumes zero changes from the competition. A statement like that essentially says… “If all things remain the same and we get better QB play then the results blah, blah, blah!” Besides that, improved QB play when the previous QBs were Wentz and Heinicke sets an extremely low bar.
  • The over/under on Howell starts is somewhere between 4-5 games and if he somehow survives the season as a starter still won’t be the needed type of player at the position to take them deep into playoff runs annually.
  • Washington will draft a QB in 2024 but who I predict that will be is related to my W/L prediction, so unless you guys want to know, I’ll end this right here.
  • Josh Dotson will supplant T-Mac as the team’s #1WR.
  • Ron Rivera’s tenure is also related to my W/L predictions, but right now I have his over/under at week 15 (The bye week)
  • Chase Young finally arrives as Predator and talks about him turning toward an LTD.
  • Pass defense continues to be a problem.
  • Rookie to watch this year WR Mitchell Tinsley.
  • Ron Rivera will not return in 2024. If by some miracle he stays, they lose EB and if this seems familiar, think about current head coaches who are doing well that were formerly working for this franchise. (EB will win at least one SB as a head coach)
  • Jacoby Brissett will replace Howell after either game four or five, giving them a more steady reliable veteran presence but by the time Rivera decides to replace Howell with him their opportunity to make this season meaningful will be lost.
  • While most favor the Eagles to win the division and become the first team to do so since Andy Reid was an NFC East HC (20 years ago) should they falter, I predict the NY Giants to be the 2023 NFC East Champions! (But ONLY if the Eagles don’t repeat)
  • Deshaun Watson will return to top form putting him in the 1-1A ranking once again.
  • Speaking of QBs, the other two targets that I wanted this team to go after (Justin Fields and Jordan Love) will also prove to be too late wishful thinking, ala “wish they had ole’ Sty’s insight” players.
The team will perform well during the season and will mimic the 2022 Minnesota Vikings in close games, unfortunately, without the same results. Well, that's it, until Friday when both "Predictions" and "Game threads" are posted. (@dad, I promised to do them and I'll keep them coming for as long as I can)
ouch! Bold, but it appears, so far, way off base on a few key predictions.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far slinging sammy has shown he is trending upward , we will see how we look when when play the big boys