• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saad as 2nd Line Center?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But, then I remember the 2 Cups and figure the guy must know what he's doing... :suds:

I like the two Cups. I usually like how Q coaches. But this one really has me scratching my head.

You've got the reigning AHL leading scorer and you don't even give him first crack at the position? Instead, you want to plug in a guy who has NEVER played there before? And it's not like just moving from left wing to right wing. Center is a totally different game...defensive responsibilities, winning faceoffs, playing down low.

I just don't understand. It's as if Pirri has done something to really piss off the Blackhawks management, but I don't see why. He barely comes up in the conversation as to making the team...and I barely hear him in the second line center competition.

Now, if he tries and fails, then that's another story. If he can't win faceoffs, he's a defensive liability and he really can't dish and score, then fine. Line up the next player. But for crying out loud, at least give him a shot.

Right now they have him at camp centering with Kyle Beach and Alex Broadhurst...hardly guys who will make the team. A head scratcher for sure.

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the idea of messing with a player in their 2nd year by making them switch positions. I wonder what is going on in those meetings. There must be a serious concern about Pirri.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There must be a serious concern about Pirri.

Perhaps Pirri was giving the impression that he thought the job was his to lose instead of having to earn it first, and this is a motivational ploy?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Toews has a lower body injury and will be out a few days.

Brandon Pirri playing center on the top line with Kane and Bickell.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirri has drawn rave reviews from the hawk brass so I don't think he pissed anyone off or anything.i just think that Q might want pirri to spend a little time on a lower line first to continue some work on few other parts of his game before he puts him in the spotlight. I think he would have done the same with saad had injuries not set in. I am happy to hear that they seem to think mornin is going to be given a real shot this year.i wouldn't mind seeing a 4th line that had pirri mornin and beach. With the way Q likes to juggle lines in a game you have 3 good parts to move around at any time and 2 bigger wingers that can be plugged in at a top 6 spot at any given time of the game to throw some weight around and still have the hands and the shots to score

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Teuvo Teravainen was terrific in training camp so far. Q very impressed with his skill and talent, thinks he's ready. They will keep him for a bit and let him play in at least a couple of the preseason games.

But, that being said, the Hawks are resolved to sending him back to Finland for another year. I'm sure this is all a salary thing...as keeping him in Finland means he will have one extra year on his entry level contract.

But the flipside is...if he's soooo good, why not just play him with the big boys?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, he felt more comfortable IN the position. He admits he needs a lot of work on faceoffs, which HE thinks he can learn to do.

I'm still not convinced yet.

Oh, and Teuvo Teravainen is getting rave reviews from everyone on the Hawks. Q seems to love him already...feels he is ready for the Hawks. Has great ice awareness and really good with the puck. Q will let him play in at least a couple of the preseason games.

But, that being said, the Hawks will let him play another year in Finland. That way the Hawks get another year on his entry level contract.

But, I'm thinking that if everyone feels he really is ready, then why not go for it and let him play on the Hawks?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Teuvo Teravainen is getting rave reviews from everyone on the Hawks. Q seems to love him already...feels he is ready for the Hawks. Has great ice awareness and really good with the puck. Q will let him play in at least a couple of the preseason games.

But, that being said, the Hawks will let him play another year in Finland. That way the Hawks get another year on his entry level contract.

But, I'm thinking that if everyone feels he really is ready, then why not go for it and let him play on the Hawks?

When does the Finnish league season end? Could they bring him over afterwards (even if it burns the first year of his ELC)?

HockeyDoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think SM-Liiga finishes the regular season the 2nd or 3rd week in March. Then the playoffs occur. He might make a debut in Rockford or be a black ace.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Coach Q, the Brandon Saad as center experiment is over for the time being.

Saad played his usual left wing during the game at Detroit today...and will be at left wing against the Penguins tomorrow night.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed the Washington game. Anyone you see having an edge on the 2C spot?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Pirri will be centering the second line in tonights preseason game against the Penguins. Take it for what it's worth.

When was the last time the Hawks had a pretty good second line center? My money is on Tom Lysiak...LOL!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha!! From what I've seen and read, I think LeBlanc has played himself out of contention. If the Saad experiment is over, does that leave Pirri as the favorite by default?

So far, I see Ben Smith and Nordstrom leading the pack for the two open bottom 6 spots.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Smith will be in. So is Brandon Bollig. Jimmy Hayes likely to be on the team. Pirri will make it becsuse they need another center. Morin on the bubble. Not so sure Nordstrom makes it.

Kyle Beach put on waivers today. Buh bye.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Smith will be in. So is Brandon Bollig. Jimmy Hayes likely to be on the team. Pirri will make it because they need another center. Morin on the bubble. Not so sure Nordstrom makes it.

Kyle Beach put on waivers today. Buh bye.

Adios, Kyle.

"Penalty kill contributor: Blackhawks forward Joakim Nordstrom was paired up with penalty-kill star Marcus Kruger on the team’s penalty kill, and Nordstrom drew a positive review from Quenneville.

“That line was very effective,” Quenneville said. “I thought they had a good night. [Kruger], I thought was very good out there. I think he’s one of those guys who is easy to play with. I think [Kruger and Nordstrom] have a little relationship and rapport together those two guys being from Sweden. There’s a little chemistry on the PK. I think they will be more in tune as we go along.”"

I'm giving Nordstrom the edge because I think replacing Frolik alongside Kruger on the PK will be critical. Although, if Smith wins that role keeping Nordstrom may not be necessary.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Smith has been playing center and wing.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chicago Blackhawks announced today they have assigned forwards Mark McNeill, Garret Ross and Alex Broadhurst, defensemen Dylan Olsen, Klas Dahlbeck and Adam Clendening, and goaltender Kent Simpson to the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League. In addition, the team has assigned forward Teuvo Teravainen to Jokerit of SM-liiga in Finland and forward Ryan Hartman to the Ontario Hockey League’s Plymouth Whalers.

The Blackhawks have also released defenseman Viktor Svedberg from training camp.
The team’s active roster now includes 23 forwards, 10 defensemen and three goaltenders.
The Blackhawks continue the 2013 preseason tonight (Sept. 23) in Pittsburgh at 6 p.m. CT. The game can be heard on WGNRadio.com or on the WGN Radio mobile app.

now I may just be a simple guy but I don't see kyle on this list?