• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Cap Central 2011

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signed:

C (5/4)
Briere (6.5)
Richards (5.75)
Carter (5)
Betts (700k)
Giroux (3.750)

W (5/8)
Hartnell (4.2)
JVR (1.654)
Lappy (1.17)
Versteeg (3.083)
Shelley (1.1)

D (7/6)
Pronger (4.921)
Timonen (6.3)
Meszaros (4)
Carle (3.44)
Coburn (3.2)
Walker (1.7)
Bartulis (600k)

G (2/2)

Bobrovsky (1.75)
Leighton (1.55)

RFA:
Carcillo
Nodl
Powe
Syvret

UFA:
Leino
O'Donnell
Boynton
Boucher

*Total Cap Hit: 60.37 mil
Projected Cap: 62.2 mil

Cap Space: 1.832 mil

Needs
1. Goaltending
2. Wingers
3. Cap Space

*total hit calculated with everyone listed

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tox if you sticky this i'll keep it updated like last year :)

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We.

Look.

Fucked.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waive Shitty, but there goes another winger.

Lappy is +35, unless I missed something. Double fuck.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Awaz Plan:

1. I'm assuming Lappy retries (*as 4706 notes, he's 35+ so his hit does not come off*), none of the UFA's get resigned. powe/nodl get offers
- i dont think lappy has any more in the tank, he's just too banged up which is sad. i think leino wrecked his chances of coming back with a pretty weak back half of the season, but the flyers may see his selflessness at the deadline (allowing them to get steeg) as something that deserves rewarding. powe and nodl can be had for cheap (1 each) and are good 3rd/4th liners. carcillo takes too many penalties and syvret has had too many opportunities. boosh isn't needed, neither are OD or boynton. i also dont see walker counting against the big club. i also see bart as a fine 7th d-man

cap space: 1.536

2. Trade Jeff Carter to the Stars for Jamie Benn

- works for the flyers because they clear some cap space and add a young forward with size. i believe the stars would like this deal because with brad richards probably going elsewhere in free agency, they'll need a top-line center. IMO the flyers need to move richards or carter to stir up the make-up of the team. i think the club is more committed to richards than they are to carter

cap space: 6.536

3. Sign Erik Cole from Carolina (3 mil)

- could be tough to get him to sign somewhere other than carolina, where he's played almost his entire career, but he would add more size to a team that needs it. plus he would provide a veteran presence. based on his 2.9 hit last year, i think he could be had for around the same amount, i'll say he gets 3. i also only sign him for 1 year. the flyers have a hellish year coming up next off-season (carle, coburn, betts, jvr hit ufa/rfa)

cap space: 3.536

4. Sign Hal Gill from Mtl (2 mil)

- i'm sure this will be viewed as an odd choice, even a poor one. but the flyers need big bodies on d. this entire season the flyers have been beat by teams that could throw a big body in front of the net, and nobody moved him. occasionally coburn or mesz would do the job, but pronger (when he played), carle, timo, bart, boynton, syvret, or anyone else who played did nothing when someone was in front of the net. hal gill is a great shot blocker and pk'er and i think the flyers could use his presence in the crease to help out the goalie. again, only for a year because of 2012, and also because he's 36.

cap space: 1.536

5. Trade Matt Carle for the best pick you can get

- he's had some great games and great stretches as a flyer, but he was pathetic down the stretch. it's time for a change in scenery, and the flyers can't take any cap back. hopefully they can get somewhere between a 3rd and 5th and not have to add pieces just to get the salary out of the way.

cap space: 4.973

6. Sign Tomas Vokoun from Florida (5 mil)
- i've been an ardent bargain bin goalie supporter, but this season has cracked me. it's time to get a starting goalie, and it's time to pony up. vokoun is UFA out of florida so we won't have to give anything up, but i would support trading a draft pick for his rights at the draft, and get him signed before he hits UFA. vokoun has been putting up vezina caliber numbers behind an AHL team in the panthers. he had a 5.7 hit with his last contract, and based on last seasons crazy decline in goalie salaries (nabakov going unsigned after having a 5+ hit in sj, other former starters getting 1.5 or less) i think he comes down a little, but not a ton, him and bryz will be in demand this off season i think. i pick vokoun because bryz's playoff performance this year was very poor. i realize vokoun doesn't have much playoff experience, but i think he's the guy, i think he's a top 5 goalie in this league, he's just hidden under the rubble that is the florida panthers.

cap space: -.027

7. Erik Gustaffson makes the team out of camp
- he played a few games with the big club this year and i thought he looked pretty solid. stick him on the 3rd pair with gil who can help cover some of his defensive liabilities has an offense first kind of guy and i think he'll fit nicely. he had 5 goals and 44 assists with a horrific phantoms team this year. he could also bring a spark to a powerplay that needs something, and needs a lot of it.

cap space: -.927

8. Bobsky spends some time in the AHL.
- i'm torn here because i dont want to send him down, but i also want him to play. sitting behind vokoun he wont get much playing time, whereas he can get tons of practice/experience while he gets shelled behind the phantoms 'skaters'. could also be bad for confidence if he does get shelled. regardless, leighton or bob hit the 'A' for the year to clear some space

cap space: .823

I role into the season with around 1 mil in flexibility with a slight concern of a lack of speed, but a reassurance that a bigger team will not manhandle the flyers. I also add a legitimate star-caliber goalie behind a defense that should be very sound, and has a lot of size to clear the crease, which should compliment Vokoun well, if he sees it, he'll stop it. I expect quality progression from Roo and JvR and expect them to carry the load on the #1 line with Cole, with quality goal support coming from a 2nd line with Briere and Benn on it. I move Richards and Versteeg to the 3rd line with Nodl as a check-first line with a strong focus on defense, they are plenty capable of shutting down any line if they focus on it, IMO.

Your 2011-2012 Philadelphia Flyers Lineup

JvR.Giroux.Cole
Hartnell.Briere.Benn
Versteeg.Richards.Nodl
Shelley.Betts.Powe

Mesz.Pronger
Timo.Coburn
Gil.Gustaffson

Vokoun
Leighton

anyone hiring me?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waive Shitty, but there goes another winger.

Lappy is +35, unless I missed something. Double fuck.

oh man. didn't even think/see that. that is troublesome. however, my plan still works out ok :)

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that I would be a bit against is the Carle trade. I really want Kimmo or Pronger gone, and Pronger by A LOT, just because of their huge cap, they aren't getting younger, and they're still worth something. I have pointed out already that we dont have shit coming from the Phantoms, so a younger D Man like Carle will be useful in a few years unlike Kimmo or Pronger.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that I would be a bit against is the Carle trade. I really want Kimmo or Pronger gone, and Pronger by A LOT, just because of their huge cap, they aren't getting younger, and they're still worth something. I have pointed out already that we dont have shit coming from the Phantoms, so a younger D Man like Carle will be useful in a few years unlike Kimmo or Pronger.

oh believe me i want pronger (or kimmo now which does make me a little sad) gone.. i just don't think the flyers can move those contracts.. kimmo at 6.3 is crazy high (+ his NMC) and pronger until he's 42 when he's crumbling at 36 is a problem.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my. Kimmo has a NMC? Shit, he has two more seasons with us. (I am posting with CapGeek in another tab)

I know this will be outrageous, but does waiving a +35 keep their hit? (I think you know who Im talking about, so I will not say)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my. Kimmo has a NMC? Shit, he has two more seasons with us. (I am posting with CapGeek in another tab)

I know this will be outrageous, but does waiving a +35 keep their hit? (I think you know who Im talking about, so I will not say)

haha i do know of who you speak.. but i actually don't think you can waive a 35+ contract.. i think a read that somewhere, but i dont have a link.. i perused the CBA table of contents but couldn't find a quick hit on 35+ and i'm not about to go through 475 of legal mumbo jumbo haha

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Walker was gone after this year....are we the only team in hockey with this many bad contracts?

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, well I was talking about Pronger which I seriously would waive if we could and didnt have to take on his cap hit anymore.

Well I like your plan, and I hope something along these lines can happen. I would just be worried about injuries and having such little room. I have already expressed hope for losing Versteeg, and go for a cheaper winger option like Flieschmann or Upshall.

Also, Recchi. Still love this guy, wish he could go one more year with us. Likely he is retiring though...

Brooks Laich!!! He makes a million less!!

Pascal Dupuis...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Walker was gone after this year....are we the only team in hockey with this many bad contracts?

walker is actually signed through 2012 too :L

and i'm not sure which bad contracts you're talking about?

briere at 6.5 through 2013 when he's 37

timonen at 6.3 through 2012 when he's 38

pronger at 4.9 through 2016 when he's 42

shelley at 1.1 through 2012 when he's jody shelley

ridiculous ain't it? oh i'm actually not done..

walker at 1.7 through 2012 when he's matt walker

carter at 5.2 through 2022 when he's 36

richards at 5.75 through 2020 when he's 35

i like the people homer has brought in, but jesus does he give out some crazy contracts

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not writing Versteeg off yet. I think he will be fine next season.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shittt.. forgot to take benn's contract into account in my plan.. we'd have around $2,000 in cap space, which probably doesn't even cover my slight rounds :L

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timonen is the one that kills me. 6.3 hit is alot and he isnt scoring like he used to to "play better defense".

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shittt.. forgot to take benn's contract into account in my plan.. we'd have around $2,000 in cap space, which probably doesn't even cover my slight rounds :L

This will be quite an interesting offseason for Homer

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be quite an interesting offseason for Homer

amen to that.. he doesn't really have a choice but to make a big move, the cap is a mess this off-season and if anyone in the organization has an eye on the future they know that next off season is going to be even worse

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zherdev is an UFA right? Doesn't that free up 2 million?

ya but giroux goes from his EL contract of 900k to 3.75 mil on contract number 2 that he signed during the season