• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9 Decade MLB Draft : CHAT

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a damn vet dammit! Really respect how you handle your relationships with your boys... beautiful thing truly... :kk:
Thank You very much, your love for your boys shows too....and read your comments, whatever you do, if one boy is an All American and the other just a kid having fun....never choose a favorite. As fun as it is, it's just a game

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it's pretty clear I'm frickin hooked... I had 0 interest growing up... my older son Walker played at 7 but hadn't played prior so I was able to get him and Dash on the same tball team when Dash was 3... Walker got pretty good mid season but Dash tried harder... next year Walker had to play coach pitch and he sucked lol... he said he wanted to get better and I got him a bigger glove and a pad to cover his palm and we practiced every day... he has become a beast at 1B and really isn't interested in getting better, just don't get it... Dash has little brother syndrome so he's been trying to be better ever since 3... he's pretty good I must say... I've seen some players that I'd like to see him up against but I'm really impressed by his focus and want to be better, as well as his humble manner... he never tries to make another kid feel like he's better and always tries to make them feel confident... I hear him telling some of the other guys when they're just sitting there on water breaks how good they are looking in practice, and trust me we are terrible... I know we're not supposed to have favorites but... :noidea:

My kid loves to play, but has so many other interests that he isn't too invested in just baseball. One issue is he's young for his age (born 2 days before his annual cut off for his age group) and he's small at that. His eye/hand coordination is pretty amazing - but his 40 pounds of weight generates 0 power and even his best hits are more like bunt. Little turd is fast though - so that hasn't been an issue (he'll grow into his size and as he gets older the age will mean less). I coached his team this year, so even though he's my only kid - I felt that I couldn't look at him like a favorite, but I won't be coaching this coming year so I can show all the favoritism I want! ;)

I love that he's taken my love of the game (if not for the baseball team, I would have dropped HS and gotten a GED and gone to the local community college at 16), though I am also glad that he has developed other interests as well (though I wish he weren't so interested in girls, he's only frickin' 7!). I believe he's looking at fall ball next year as his chance to focus on baseball all the time (they start fall ball at 8 here), and if that's what he wants to do - then we'll see how much he develops once he is playing 4-6 months a year. All in all, I love sports - but none more than baseball - and I'm just as happy my son loves it too.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My kid loves to play, but has so many other interests that he isn't too invested in just baseball. One issue is he's young for his age (born 2 days before his annual cut off for his age group) and he's small at that. His eye/hand coordination is pretty amazing - but his 40 pounds of weight generates 0 power and even his best hits are more like bunt. Little turd is fast though - so that hasn't been an issue (he'll grow into his size and as he gets older the age will mean less). I coached his team this year, so even though he's my only kid - I felt that I couldn't look at him like a favorite, but I won't be coaching this coming year so I can show all the favoritism I want! ;)

I love that he's taken my love of the game (if not for the baseball team, I would have dropped HS and gotten a GED and gone to the local community college at 16), though I am also glad that he has developed other interests as well (though I wish he weren't so interested in girls, he's only frickin' 7!). I believe he's looking at fall ball next year as his chance to focus on baseball all the time (they start fall ball at 8 here), and if that's what he wants to do - then we'll see how much he develops once he is playing 4-6 months a year. All in all, I love sports - but none more than baseball - and I'm just as happy my son loves it too.
Talking about our kids playing ball beats the heck out of talking Trump/Clinton

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dash has a lucky birthday so he's 8 through the season and 9 come allstars... Walker has to play up like your boy, he's a February kid... the league here is really suffering because of travel ball... we won state in tball 2 years ago, the 10 best kids formed a travel team and the league lost 1st round... I was going to let Dash play league this year but I really think we will be moving for sure so I'm a little nervous about where I'm going to take them... I'm sure wherever we end up will have leagues/teams which I'm excited to see the comp/teammates they'll play with but I'm hoping to find out where all the stuff is and have them signed up in time... I love coaching but I get too emotional so I've learned that I'm not the head coach material lol... I'd get kicked out of every game lol... i am good with the kids though... parents always want me to coach, I just get frustrated with terrible calls... bad ones I can be okay with, terrible ones get me all bent outta shape lol... I know they're doing their best but it gets me every time... :smash:

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank You very much, your love for your boys shows too....and read your comments, whatever you do, if one boy is an All American and the other just a kid having fun....never choose a favorite. As fun as it is, it's just a game

I appreciate that... Walker and I are complicated lol... I try to be fair and I know I over compensate both negatively and positively with him... he's so talented in so many things he often frustrates me with his lack of Fire... it reminds me of all the me I wished I didn't let mess me up the first 25 years of my life... IMO he could be the one, but Dash fights to be the one they're complete opposites... it's a work in progress lol

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate that... Walker and I are complicated lol... I try to be fair and I know I over compensate both negatively and positively with him... he's so talented in so many things he often frustrates me with his lack of Fire... it reminds me of all the me I wished I didn't let mess me up the first 25 years of my life... IMO he could be the one, but Dash fights to be the one they're complete opposites... it's a work in progress lol
Sometimes a fire can grow from less wood, not more. A lot of times, if a kid lacks ''fire'', it's actually a fear of failure or of disappointing the one they look up to most

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you old bastards talking about your kids. I really want a boy someday and I want to teach him baseball (that was the sport I always loved to play) just like y'all but with my luck I will get 3 girls and they will be into figure skating or something :laugh3:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you old bastards talking about your kids. I really want a boy someday and I want to teach him baseball (that was the sport I always loved to play) just like y'all but with my luck I will get 3 girls and they will be into figure skating or something :laugh3:

Nice. I know a farmer back home who dreamed of having a boy so he could have help around the farm and someone to take over when the time came. 9 girls later he decided that dream would never come true - but those girls could all work the farm like all the other farm "boys" in the community.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing wrong with that, you and your husband could teach them to figure skate. :pound:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. I know a farmer back home who dreamed of having a boy so he could have help around the farm and someone to take over when the time came. 9 girls later he decided that dream would never come true - but those girls could all work the farm like all the other farm "boys" in the community.
My favorite movie scene of all time - "My Dad wanted me to be a baseball player"...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always heard the term "take one for the team" but I have never heard it called this....

Mark Grace Quote

My soon to be boss and CFO was telling me about this the other day and it was so random but hilarious.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did text Milky

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane what happened to all your hoop cash?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always heard the term "take one for the team" but I have never heard it called this....

Mark Grace Quote

My soon to be boss and CFO was telling me about this the other day and it was so random but hilarious.

Slump buster is totally a thing, but it's more in regards to yourself than it is "taking one for the team". Those could be related, but also could be totally separate. Taking one for the team means that you really have no intention of hooking up with a girl, but do it solely to help get your buddy laid. Slumpbuster usually is when you haven't been successful in a while and go for someone below your standard level just to get it out of your system.

Allegedly...

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm really curious what sorts of activities I'm going to try to get my daughter into. Probably little league for sure, but also basketball, soccer and maybe golf or gymnastics too. I'll probably just sign her up for everything and let her decide which one she likes best. Not going to be one of those "do what I did" guys, because even I wasn't like that.

My dad played baseball in HS and some Junior college. Considering he was a really small Asian guy(like me), I'm assuming he was pretty good to be able to accomplish that. Unfortunately, Baseball just wasn't for me. I played little league for a while, but eventually quit when A) I realized I might not just be able to bunt all the time and B) these guys are throwing fast enough for me to fear for my life. I had literally zero power behind any swing because I was small and just was intimidated by the ball for some reason. Kind of wished I stuck that out a bit longer.

I picked up basketball though and ended up being decent. Parents wouldn't let me try out for my middle school team in the city probably because they thought I was just gonna get cut. Ended up making the team and starting for my team that went to a city championship (we lost). HS though I tried out for JV my sophmore year, but everyone was literally a head taller than me and I wasn't good enough to overcome that. I was a better shooter and ball handler than most everyone out there, but I just couldn't guard anyone(short and not anywhere near physically strong). I was told by the coach that I could keep coming to practice and work out, but he wasn't reserving a spot for me on the taxi squad (basically a true practice squad, with the chance of being able to make the team). So being an emo HS kid, I declined which now I kind of regret. He was probably giving me a way to stick around.

I ended up coaching HS aged basketball in a rec league for a few years. Unfortunately my players weren't terribly good, and had a few with major fundamental problems which took a lot of time to help them overcome. Instead of working on plays or execution of offense, I concentrated on teaching them things that they could improve on individually, like shooting techniques, how to set a screen and how to position yourself on defense for helping, pretty basic things essentially. While we didn't win a lot, we were largely better at the end of the season and the players themselves were much better. Even had a kid who tried out for a HS team who didn't make it, make it the following season after I helped him with some fundamentals. He eventually became a starter too. So that was my highlight as a coach.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm really curious what sorts of activities I'm going to try to get my daughter into. Probably little league for sure, but also basketball, soccer and maybe golf or gymnastics too. I'll probably just sign her up for everything and let her decide which one she likes best. Not going to be one of those "do what I did" guys, because even I wasn't like that.

My dad played baseball in HS and some Junior college. Considering he was a really small Asian guy(like me), I'm assuming he was pretty good to be able to accomplish that. Unfortunately, Baseball just wasn't for me. I played little league for a while, but eventually quit when A) I realized I might not just be able to bunt all the time and B) these guys are throwing fast enough for me to fear for my life. I had literally zero power behind any swing because I was small and just was intimidated by the ball for some reason. Kind of wished I stuck that out a bit longer.

I picked up basketball though and ended up being decent. Parents wouldn't let me try out for my middle school team in the city probably because they thought I was just gonna get cut. Ended up making the team and starting for my team that went to a city championship (we lost). HS though I tried out for JV my sophmore year, but everyone was literally a head taller than me and I wasn't good enough to overcome that. I was a better shooter and ball handler than most everyone out there, but I just couldn't guard anyone(short and not anywhere near physically strong). I was told by the coach that I could keep coming to practice and work out, but he wasn't reserving a spot for me on the taxi squad (basically a true practice squad, with the chance of being able to make the team). So being an emo HS kid, I declined which now I kind of regret. He was probably giving me a way to stick around.

I ended up coaching HS aged basketball in a rec league for a few years. Unfortunately my players weren't terribly good, and had a few with major fundamental problems which took a lot of time to help them overcome. Instead of working on plays or execution of offense, I concentrated on teaching them things that they could improve on individually, like shooting techniques, how to set a screen and how to position yourself on defense for helping, pretty basic things essentially. While we didn't win a lot, we were largely better at the end of the season and the players themselves were much better. Even had a kid who tried out for a HS team who didn't make it, make it the following season after I helped him with some fundamentals. He eventually became a starter too. So that was my highlight as a coach.

I loved playing basketball as a kid. Was lead scorer on my Jr. High squads, but a football injury my freshman year had me concerned about even trying out - so I didn't. Being the stat lover I am, I did keep score for the high school team from my Sophomore year through my senior year, as well as write the articles for the team in the local paper (wanted to be a sports journalist), and with those opportunities I still got to travel with the team on away games. Tried for the team again as a senior, but I got the flu real bad and spent most of the week long try-outs outside the gym in the parking lot emptying my stomach. Coach offered me one of the spots usually designated for JV players (seniors on the team asked him to give me a spot), but I felt it was unfair to the younger players to take their chance of getting experience, so I declined.

I did play 4 years of Mormon church basketball - which if you're not familiar with Mormon ball - think a sport that roughly resembles basketball, but has the physicality of hockey without the pads. It's jokingly referred to as the "brawl that starts with prayer" and I received more injuries on those basketball courts than I ever got from playing football. I led that league in scoring once and rebounding twice - though I didn't get really good until I moved to North Carolina for 2 years in my early twenties. Now, when my knees allow it, I play and just enjoy it, as long as I don't get hurt. :)

My son on the other hand, doesn't seem to like basketball - and since I haven't seen any leagues around here I haven't even tried to see if he wants to play. Maybe when he's a little older and can go out for the Jr. High team he'll want to, but not all that concerned.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW guys, with how long this draft has taken - and the looks that it should finish up today, I need to tell you - I'm gone starting this afternoon and won't be back until possibly Monday. If voting happens this weekend, I won't be able to vote for or against any one - nor defend or explain my team. Not saying it shouldn't happen - just saying that you all will just have to survive without me.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right guys, I have a house showing, so will be away for the next couple hours