• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

:: 2014-2015 Cap Central ::

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he can't be the long-term back-up. I'm just saying that Mason isn't a sure thing yet, and the Flyers need to have solid back-up again next year just in case. Heeter might be the guy in another year or two.

He's going to be 26 next season tho. If he doesn't get his chance now there might not be much of a future.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you JBM73, but at some point you have to take the plunge with the kid and I think Heeter is ready to be the back-up.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya.. thats how i feel about niskanen and stastny too. especially niskanen. the flyers have a trio of prospects that will definitely need some space on the roster for in the next 2-3 years, and they already have streit, schenn, coburn, and macdonald locked up for a while. that's why i'd shy away from niskanen (and because i think he's this year's ville leino). up front they have a little more room roster wise, just not for a center IMO.

i just think they could do without gilbert.. keep schenn in the top 6 and give gus the opportunity if you want. or i'd have schenn in the lineup over gilbert. really its just me nit picking at this point haha

Yeah they need to keep some space for the up and coming d-men - don't want too much invested in the current group

They probably could do without Tom Gilbert, give Gus an opportunity and keep Luke Schenn - and possibly try to move Nicklas Grossmann, but I wonder if Nicklas Grossmann being out for a game 7 hurt them a bit - I don't know if you can have two defensive defensemen like Luke Schenn and Nicklas Grossmann - I think one of them would need to be moved - maybe they give Oliver Lauridsen the 7th d-man spot, I dunno

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you JBM73, but at some point you have to take the plunge with the kid and I think Heeter is ready to be the back-up.

:agree: if they don't trust him now might as well trade him IMO.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to be 26 next season tho. If he doesn't get his chance now there might not be much of a future.

True, but I'm not really concerned about the career of a goalie whose ceiling is probably as an NHL back-up. If the Flyers were truly rebuilding, I'd be all for Heeter as the back-up. As it stands, they'll do everything they can to centend next year, in which case Heeter is too risky of a gamble.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goaltending:
Clearly Mason has earned the right to go into next year as the clear-cut starter. I doubt Emery returns. However, considering how Mason's play tailed off after a hot first 2 months, handing the back-up job to Heeter would be a huge mistake. The Flyers should look to bring in someone who has the potential to be effective for stretches in the event Mason slumps or gets hurt again. Thomas Greiss?
Defensemen:
Definitely the D still needs work. IMO, it's still too slow. I think you have to move Grossmann for a defensive d-man who can skate better, in the Coburn mold (from the neck down). You can get by with one slow d-man, but not 2 in today's NHL (Grossmann/Schenn). Until we know whether or not Timonen is coming back, it's hard to say what other moves are needed on D.
Forwards:
The core is there, and I'm ok with leaving Hartnell on the top line. Schenn/Simmonds need a faster forward to join them. I'd give Raffl another shot, but I agree with awaz that I see him more as a bottom 6 guy. Maybe Akeson? Couturier/Read need a partner on the 3rd line as well. Again I agree with awaz that they need a Steve Downie banger-type who can also put a few pucks in the net, and this will have to come in free agency. The 4th line CANNOT have 2 dead weight offensive players again (Hall/Rinaldo). One of them has to go or be bumped to the 13th forward. Hopefully Laughton makes the team. Perhaps a Raffl-Laughton-Rinaldo line? I have no idea what to do with LeCavalier. Maybe he gets one more chance at 2C, bumping Schenn to LW. He's not a good winger, so it's either that or back to the 4th line, in which case you really have to trade him (I think he'd be open to this rather than rot on the 4th line again) or buy him out.

Not really a Thomas Greiss fan, Coyotes missed the playoffs because they had to play him at the end of the season and he couldn't cut it - maybe Alex Stalock if the Sharks blow things up and decide to let him walk? Or Al Montoya if the Jets keep Pavelec?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really a Thomas Greiss fan, Coyotes missed the playoffs because they had to play him at the end of the season and he couldn't cut it

I don't think it's fair to blame Greiss. After Smith got hurt, Greiss gave up the following goals per game to end the season: 2, 2, 2, 1, 4, 2, 4, 2, 1. That certainly doesn't seem like the problem was the goaltending.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but I'm not really concerned about the career of a goalie whose ceiling is probably as an NHL back-up. If the Flyers were truly rebuilding, I'd be all for Heeter as the back-up. As it stands, they'll do everything they can to centend next year, in which case Heeter is too risky of a gamble.

I could respect that, if you see his ceiling as a backup then it's not worth the risk. I was always under the impression he was the Flyers' goalie of the future.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
opinions on a few things:

i think if heeter becomes a serviceable NHL backup, that would be a coup for the flyers. he was a decent college UFA that they signed with hopes that maybe he could be a diamond in the rough. they really haven't seen that. he had a nice year with the phantoms this year, but that doesn't mean he's backup material.

on having 2 stay at home dmen.. i think you need 2. i was saying gilbert was just unnecessary entirely. i'm not the biggest lauridsen fan, but i'm good w/ him at 7. and with schenn in the lineup you don't need gilbert. but if you go with gus and streit, you have to have 4 guys that are good on the PK then because neither of them will be PK-ers if you want to be successful. i'm good w/ that being macdonald, coburn, schenn, and grossmann.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on having 2 stay at home dmen.. i think you need 2. i was saying gilbert was just unnecessary entirely. i'm not the biggest lauridsen fan, but i'm good w/ him at 7. and with schenn in the lineup you don't need gilbert. but if you go with gus and streit, you have to have 4 guys that are good on the PK then because neither of them will be PK-ers if you want to be successful. i'm good w/ that being macdonald, coburn, schenn, and grossmann.

I agree, I just think that doesn't necessarily mean 2 slow, plodding defensive d-men, because that's just too big of a liability 5 on 5. I see Coburn, Schenn and Morin as the future defensive d-men. MacDonald will still be around. Streit might be well on the downside by then. Hopefully Ghost becomes the PP QB of the future. Hagg seems like a MacDonald-type with a bit more size and offensive skill. Gus is probably just a stop-gap. Lauridsen and Alt probably don't have much of a future with the team beyond serving as depth players.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I just think that doesn't necessarily mean 2 slow, plodding defensive d-men, because that's just too big of a liability 5 on 5. I see Coburn, Schenn and Morin as the future defensive d-men. MacDonald will still be around. Streit might be well on the downside by then. Hopefully Ghost becomes the PP QB of the future. Hagg seems like a MacDonald-type with a bit more size and offensive skill. Gus is probably just a stop-gap. Lauridsen and Alt probably don't have much of a future with the team beyond serving as depth players.

couldn't agree more w/ this post. i just don't think morin will be ready for another couple years, so i'd hold on to grossmann, unless you can get value for him. i just dont wanna dump him to dump him.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just don't think morin will be ready for another couple years, so i'd hold on to grossmann, unless you can get value for him. i just dont wanna dump him to dump him.

I agree you can't move him without bringing in someone to replace him. I'm just worried that with ANOTHER leg injury, he's going to be even slower next year. The Flyers should explore their options. Boy, Hamhuis sure would look good in that role about now... :gaah:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree you can't move him without bringing in someone to replace him. I'm just worried that with ANOTHER leg injury, he's going to be even slower next year. The Flyers should explore their options. Boy, Hamhuis sure would look good in that role about now... :gaah:

heh, aint that the truth. on both accounts.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just noticed that Mark Alt is a right handed shot. Besides Luke Schenn I believe he's the only other RH d-man on the Flyers or in their prospect pool.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing big in free agency please. I'd be fine signing Michalek to a one year deal which would never happen. Stay put and bank cap for when we actually need it.

Hopefully Vinny is gone. I think he'd be fine with getting traded to somewhere where he has an actual role, but I don't know what team wants him. Edmonton maybe?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing big in free agency please. I'd be fine signing Michalek to a one year deal which would never happen. Stay put and bank cap for when we actually need it.

Hopefully Vinny is gone. I think he'd be fine with getting traded to somewhere where he has an actual role, but I don't know what team wants him. Edmonton maybe?

Why would Edmonton want him? Don't they have other pressing needs? I'd rather buy Vinny out at this point - get a little bit of cap space by doing it

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Edmonton want him? Don't they have other pressing needs? I'd rather buy Vinny out at this point - get a little bit of cap space by doing it

Edmonton's center depth is atrocious. They very well could be drafting a center that they could slate at the #2 C though. It also seems like Gagner is good as gone

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edmonton's center depth is atrocious. They very well could be drafting a center that they could slate at the #2 C though. It also seems like Gagner is good as gone

I don't think he'd be a great fit there regardless, I'm not sure where else he'd go though - Taylor Hall can play center and RNH can play center too so they can split them if needed