• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RB Rashaad Penny in the 1st

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did any of you guys honestly want Penny in the first round?

I wanted a runningback in the first round. I admittedly wanted Guice over Penny... but it's clear to me none of the RBs are going to be available late 2nd round and I didn't want Chubb or Jones.

Would've been happier if we could've moved back into the 2nd... but given an FO called John Schneider to ask if we'd trade for him (likely the Pats) it's whatever.

Either way the team needed a runningback. I really don't understand why all the analysts are like, "OMGOMG they need line and CB why a RB!" Did they watch our runningbacks last year? We acquired a bunch of D-Line and just re-signed Maxwell. Why the fuck was everyone so hung up on Seattle drafting a CB? It's like people are pissed they're wrong.

And everyone screaming, "Seattle has no O-Line" are idiots. We got numerous OL coming back from injury, Brown will have an offseason, we have a new OLine coach, and Penny was THE #1 RB in the draft in terms of broken tackles and yards after 1st contact. Sounds like the best RB to draft for a shitty O-Line, if that's the case.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a fair assumption. the homers on here are praising his ability to get yards after contact behind the LOS, this must be one of the big reasons they liked him so much. is it wrong to then assume our OL is going to be garbage yet again?

that being said, i love solari and think he is one of the best OL coaches in the league possibly ever. but that doesnt mean we can continue to disregard the talent.
New OL coach, traded for Brown in the middle of last season, Pocic is probably the starting LG now and was drafted just a year ago. Fluker signed this off-season. Whether you like the moves is irrelevant -- it's clear the "plan" is to address the OL and running game, and that's exactly what they have been doing.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New OL coach, traded for Brown in the middle of last season, Pocic is probably the starting LG now and was drafted just a year ago. Fluker signed this off-season. Whether you like the moves is irrelevant -- it's clear the "plan" is to address the OL and running game, and that's exactly what they have been doing.

Fant coming back healthy, may end up being a RT, he would be an upgrade over Ifedi

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to see Penny play

Love the fact we went after a RB,

With Carson and Davis, the best we could hope for is average

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fant coming back healthy, may end up being a RT, he would be an upgrade over Ifedi
Yeah, should be a competition at RT for sure. The organization is definitely addressing the OL/running game with the draft picks, trades, coaching moves, etc.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really? what team was that? he probably just said that because he needed to justify his reach.

Rumors are it was the Cleveland Browns... They were planning on taking him w/ their first pick in the 2nd round...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TE, Ed Dickinson signed as well... He's a very good run blocker...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep 3 RBs taken the first 10 2nd round picks, 6 RBs total last 15 picks... and good chance Pats would've taken Penny from their scouting reports and the call to the Seahawks right after.

That pick is looking more and more correct. Guice is still available granted... but doesn't necessarily mean a trade down to mid 2nd would've been available. And that's even if Seattle wanted Guice.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penny pick for me is a ok pick only because they did NOT have a 2nd rounder and like i have heard if you believe a guy is a 2nd rounder and you pick late in the 2nd then you got to take him with your late first. I am sure the Hawks were trying to get out of the first and some how get a early 2nd round pick. That didn't happen and so they pulled the trigger. I am fine with it. He wouldn't have been there for their next pick.

Green pick is also a ok pick for me. It's a big time need and they need to get some more bodies that play DE. People Bennett is gone ( YAY about fucking time ) Avril may never play again and Clark is in his last year, will he even be resigned? Green wont be the last DE the Hawks pick in this draft. I think he might turn into a solid rotational player at best, hope for more though.

Can't help but compare him to another USC DE the hawks drafted. Hope he doesn't go the same way.

Those two picks are not lights out picks both have issues with them but you know what i don't care. I am more excited to see all these 5th rounders come in here and BATTLE. with a 4th and four 5th rounders i am excited to see tomorrow play out. This is the meat and potatoes of our draft boys. Fingers crossed we hit on 2 or 3 of these guys.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected at least one running back to be taken by the Seahawks in this draft, but it was still somewhat of a surprise to me that they took one in the first round. Granted, they traded back and made the pick towards the end of the round instead of the middle, but my most recent thought was that they might take one as early as the 3rd round, but were more likely to take one later than that.

Say what you want about whether we could have had Penny later than we got him (difficult to believe if there were multiple teams looking to take him in the 2nd round), but we should all know by now that when Carroll and Schneider trade down, they're doing it because they know that their guy is more likely to still be there than not and if he isn't, they can either take the next guy on their board in their new spot or trade down again to hoard more picks later in the draft. It doesn't always work out for the best, but we've also seen how their drafts can turn out when everyone and their mother thinks it's terrible.

I liked taking a defensive end with our second pick. It's a need and I'd like to think that Carroll still has enough connections in southern California (not to mention working in the same city as someone who coached in the same conference as and could have a good scouting report for Green) to make a good pick there. That doesn't mean it'll work out, but none of these picks for any team, no matter what any "expert" might tell you is guaranteed to work out (or fail).

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I like Penny, was it a little early to take him maybe but with the number of picks they have what choice did they have but to take him when they knew he would be available. I feel the same about Pettis for the Niners I like the player but yeah a little early for him and trad I g up to get him be because they thought he would be gone before they picked can't fault them for that.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, Ronald Jones II being taken in the 2nd round (as well as 2 other RBs) destroys any case that Penny would have been there in the 3rd at any pick. On top of that, look at what Cleveland did. They had the 1st and 3rd pick of the 2nd round. Not taking Chubb with the first of those 2 means they did not rate him higher than the other guys available, so they took a different position with the 1st pick and then would have went with whatever RB was left with that 2nd pick between the 2 they liked the most. Could have very well been Penny had we not taken him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always get a kick out of fans saying that a player was taken too early. It is based almost exclusively guys like Kiper or McShay saying so. Kiper and McShay are knowledgeable but they aren't professional scouts and they don't know what each team specifically looks for.

Teams can't try to get too cute with the draft. Every team should take the highest rated player on their team boards when they are up. It doesn't matter if the "consensus" says that there are 3 other guys that are better. Maybe the team's board is wrong, and it often is, but so is the consensus.

Take a look at Mayock's top prospects for 2015.

2015 NFL Draft: Mike Mayock's top 100 prospects

Mayock is highly respected and, IMO, the best public prospect rater around. But his lists are littered with busts. If you look at his WR list, the only highly rated guy to pan out was Cooper(#2 WR). Most of the others until you get down to around #10 are varying degrees of busts.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always get a kick out of fans saying that a player was taken too early. It is based almost exclusively guys like Kiper or McShay saying so. Kiper and McShay are knowledgeable but they aren't professional scouts and they don't know what each team specifically looks for.

Teams can't try to get too cute with the draft. Every team should take the highest rated player on their team boards when they are up. It doesn't matter if the "consensus" says that there are 3 other guys that are better. Maybe the team's board is wrong, and it often is, but so is the consensus.

Take a look at Mayock's top prospects for 2015.

2015 NFL Draft: Mike Mayock's top 100 prospects

Mayock is highly respected and, IMO, the best public prospect rater around. But his lists are littered with busts. If you look at his WR list, the only highly rated guy to pan out was Cooper(#2 WR). Most of the others until you get down to around #10 are varying degrees of busts.
Yep, the vast majority of fans' opinions are just a compilation of other opinions. Unless you have LOTS of time on your hands and exclusive access, there's just no way you can be armed with the level of information and expertise that the actual teams have. What us fans think should happen is colored by what someone else tells us should happen plus our own biases.

Now, acknowledging that...haha...I was SHOCKED that Dante Pettis went in the 2nd round. I liked him at UW and all, but I don't know if he is going to be that great of a WR in the NFL. He should contribute as a PR, but is that a 2nd round player? Sf even traded up to take him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the vast majority of fans' opinions are just a compilation of other opinions. Unless you have LOTS of time on your hands and exclusive access, there's just no way you can be armed with the level of information and expertise that the actual teams have. What us fans think should happen is colored by what someone else tells us should happen plus our own biases.

Now, acknowledging that...haha...I was SHOCKED that Dante Pettis went in the 2nd round. I liked him at UW and all, but I don't know if he is going to be that great of a WR in the NFL. He should contribute as a PR, but is that a 2nd round player? Sf even traded up to take him.

I don't know much about Pettis. But the story sounds similar to the Hawks drafting Locket.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about Pettis. But the story sounds similar to the Hawks drafting Locket.
TL was a much more accomplished college WR. The funny thing about this pick is while I was listening to Mayock talk about him last night, I think he was describing his speed 180 off from what it actually is. Mayock said he was very sudden/quick but had questionable top end. I see it totally opposite of that. He is a long strider who takes a minute to build up to top speed, but once he gets there then he's tough to keep up with. Runs faster than it appears due to the long strides. He's not a quick start/stop or change of direction guy though. Really good vision and instincts on the returns. Will be interesting to see how his game translates.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am absolutely loving people roasting the Seahawks for this pick.