• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RB Rashaad Penny in the 1st

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem would be if this trade doesn't go thru Seattle still doesn't have a second and Penny could possibly be off the board by the time the Hawks pick in the third.

Penny wouldn't had made it to the 3rd anyways...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing missing from Penny's resume is pass catching. Even though he's described as a 3-down back, he only caught 19 passes in '17.

He was still San Diego State's second leading receiver. Very run heavy offense. If he's even as good as Marshawn at catching the ball - then defenses have to respect the pass to the back - as Russell threw to what most people saw as a pass handicapped Lynch quite often.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The run on the remaining top RB's will go fast top of the second round.

Cleveland could be looking at Guice or Chubb right out the gate in the second.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland could be looking at Guice or Chubb right out the gate in the second.

Very true and that would start the run. Trust the process and I can't wait to see this kid compete in TC.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick seems fine, but it's not gonna matter much if the O-line doesn't improve. Hopefully they hit on a couple linemen in the upcoming rounds.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was still San Diego State's second leading receiver. Very run heavy offense. If he's even as good as Marshawn at catching the ball - then defenses have to respect the pass to the back - as Russell threw to what most people saw as a pass handicapped Lynch quite often.

That's what I was going to bring up as well... He didn't have many opportunities to catch or pass block so that's not a fair knock on him, imo...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick seems fine, but it's not gonna matter much if the O-line doesn't improve. Hopefully they hit on a couple linemen in the upcoming rounds.

I don't feel like it was all on our OL last season regards to the running game...Rawls, Lacy, Davis didn't do our Ol any justice... Penny is a patient runner with a quick burst between the tackles... That's going to pay off dividends... Lacy nor Rawls were patient runners... Rawls would just run 110% once he received the handoff... With Fluker and Dickinson, who are both known for being very good run blockers, it's going to be much better imo... Especially with a talented back in the backfield like Penny...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel like it was all on our OL last season regards to the running game...Rawls, Lacy, Davis didn't do our Ol any justice... Penny is a patient runner with a quick burst between the tackles... That's going to pay off dividends... Lacy nor Rawls were patient runners... Rawls would just run 110% once he received the handoff... With Fluker and Dickinson, who are both known for being very good run blockers, it's going to be much better imo... Especially with a talented back in the backfield like Penny...

I generally believe that RBs are a product of their OL but last year the Hawks got some atrocious production from their RBs. Which is why most Hawks fans were comfortable with taking a RB this year late in the 1st.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember our last RB we selected in the 1st round? He had a pretty good career... :clap:

Plus, Penny is a 1st round talent so I'm not going to get caught up with "when" we drafted him... Hawks wanted there guy and they got him... I'm sure they have big plans for him... Guy is very, very versatile so he will help us in so many areas where we have glaring needs...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only knock on Penny from what I read is he doesn't know how to block. That was one of the things that hurt Michael seeing the field, but hopefully Penny can learn it and has a better work ethic than Michael (who seemed very lazy).

On a side note, who the fuck writes up those draft profiles on NFL.com and do they even know what the fuck they're talking about?

• Has modest yards after first contact numbers over the last two seasons
IMG_26042018_210713_0.png

I also found this weakness amusing:
  • High-cut, upright runner

Well I guess that's a great thing, because apparently lowering your head anymore will be a 15 yard penalty and ejection.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty big reach. He would have been available in late 2nd or even 3rd round.

He wouldn’t have been around, John even said teams were offering trades AFTER we selected him, and he said that’s never happened to him as a GM... he was gone had we not pulled the trigger ..

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, good point. I failed to look at the overall context of what his receiving stats meant in the big picture. This is why we keep you around.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out his play at the Senior Bowl, where he faced some of the best in college... He also won Co-MVP of the Senior Bowl... 9 rushes for 63 yards including a catch resulting in a 73 yard TD...

Top 5 Rashaad Penny plays | Reese's Senior Bowl

He led all college RBs in broken tackles and all RBs in yards after 1st contact (Barkley was 0.46, Penny was 3+). You can't keep drafting to 'replace Marshawn Lynch' but not hard to see why Seattle likes him.

Liking this pick more and more. I wanted a RB with our first selection (and IMO needed to be in the 1st round which I've said before as the run on RBs was going to be fierce in the 2nd round).

I have zero clue why analysts and the talking morons were saying he would've been available in the late 2nd. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Patriots that called and when Seattle said no they settled for Michel.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It sure seems like there’s a lot of comparisons out there to that of Barkley. I’m not saying he’s better, but it seems clear as day that he was knocked for playing in San Diego. If you put him on LSU or Alabama I think he gets rated higher than the guys who were above him other than Barkley, and this pick no longer becomes a reach. The more I research him the more it’s starting to look like we just landed a serious gem.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year's draft has been hugely different than other drafts in years past.

1 - For the first time ever, a Heisman trophy winner went with the first and last picks of the first round.

2 - For the first time since 2009 there were 2 centers taken in the first round. That was also the last time there were more centers than guards taken (there were no guards taken in 2009).

3 - For the first time since 1999 there were 5 quarterbacks taken in the first round.

4 - For the First time since 2010 there were more RBs selected than WRs in the first round.

5 - For the first time since 1986, there were 6 OL picks with and equal number inside linemen to tackles. There were actually more C/G than T if New England plays Wynn at G and just announced the wrong position (since everyone else had Wynn as a G).