• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RB Rashaad Penny in the 1st

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Penny has a better career than Guice Chubb and Michel we'll hear the critics going back on what they said at the draft and start praising our front office. My response to them will be "don't judge a book by it's cover."

What's kinda funny is that the Seahawks have now created a bit of a track record of picking "head scratchers" that get slammed by the critics only to turn into solid or great players. And some of the more self-aware draftniks are aware of this and will point that out at times.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's kinda funny is that the Seahawks have now created a bit of a track record of picking "head scratchers" that get slammed by the critics only to turn into solid or great players. And some of the more self-aware draftniks are aware of this and will point that out at times.

It's just what our scouting department does. They have a real eye for looking at players nobody else will and John Schneider drafts those guys nobody else will and they turn into Pro Bowlers. Doug Baldwin is a surefire case of this.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's just what our scouting department does. They have a real eye for looking at players nobody else will and John Schneider drafts those guys nobody else will and they turn into Pro Bowlers. Doug Baldwin is a surefire case of this.

I think we are good at seeing ourselves and understanding what types of players work in our system even though not a lot of other teams feel they would work in theirs. The last few drafts maybe havent been as strong as the first few for JS/PC, but I also think there are some younger players we've picked up in these recent drafts that just havent had a great opportunity to get on the field because our team has been so talented at the top of the roster.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are good at seeing ourselves and understanding what types of players work in our system even though not a lot of other teams feel they would work in theirs. The last few drafts maybe havent been as strong as the first few for JS/PC, but I also think there are some younger players we've picked up in these recent drafts that just havent had a great opportunity to get on the field because our team has been so talented at the top of the roster.

Some people may not like what John Schneider and Pete Carroll have done in recent drafts but I'm still giving those 2 guys the benefit of the doubt. They know what they are doing so we just have to trust in them. I doubt I'd be able to do what they've done for this team if given the opportunity because I'm not a talent scout and none of us are.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmm. We haven't had a home run draft like 2012 but that isn't likely to occur against any time soon.

But I think the last few drafts have been pretty darn good.

Mcdowell sucked certainly. But we got 3 starters out of last year's draft. 2016 was a bit problematic but not a lost draft. Really just 2013 was a terrible terrible draft.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. We haven't had a home run draft like 2012 but that isn't likely to occur against any time soon.

But I think the last few drafts have been pretty darn good.

Mcdowell sucked certainly. But we got 3 starters out of last year's draft. 2016 was a bit problematic but not a lost draft. Really just 2013 was a terrible terrible draft.

How can you say McDowell is terrible? He never saw the field. If he was able to stay healthy and not produce then we could label him a bust

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you say McDowell is terrible? He never saw the field. If he was able to stay healthy and not produce then we could label him a bust

Well he was terrible because he will never play football. No way to know that of course but that's who the ball bounces.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he was terrible because he will never play football. No way to know that of course but that's who the ball bounces.

Before those injuries (however they occurred) he had alot of upside coming out of Michigan State. I hope he has a healthy life outside of football.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before those injuries (however they occurred) he had alot of upside coming out of Michigan State. I hope he has a healthy life outside of football.

Agreed on both points.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on both points.

I know injuries are just apart of the game of football but you hate to see non-contact football injuries happen to any player at any position. Whether McDowell's injuries were the result of non-contact it's gonna feel weird not seeing him with us this season.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's terrible because he'll never see the field. It's not like you get that pick back. It's gone forever and literally any other person picked would have been better for the team. The pick is a complete bust and McDowell is now just another guy who isn't a football player.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's terrible because he'll never see the field. It's not like you get that pick back. It's gone forever and literally any other person picked would have been better for the team. The pick is a complete bust and McDowell is now just another guy who isn't a football player.
Got to admit it was hard to for see a accident like this, even if he’s a head case.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to admit it was hard to for see a accident like this, even if he’s a head case.

Of course. It wasn't a bad pick at the time, just like Aaron Curry wasn't. However, situations change that fact, and now both picks can well be considered huge busts.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. It wasn't a bad pick at the time, just like Aaron Curry wasn't. However, situations change that fact, and now both picks can well be considered huge busts.
Well yeah.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right pick at the time, just sucks we'll never know how it would have panned out. Shame!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aaron Curry was a bad pick. McDowell was bad luck.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad picks happen all the time and it's a shame when team scouts are to blame. Pity

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Bust" is a pretty broad description. Curry was a bust. McDowell was a bust. The difference in the picks is the team got 1 of them wrong and then on the other we were never able to find out either way. Both failed picks, but we cannot say a talent evaluation misstep was common among them.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Bust" is a pretty broad description. Curry was a bust. McDowell was a bust. The difference in the picks is the team got 1 of them wrong and then on the other we were never able to find out either way. Both failed picks, but we cannot say a talent evaluation misstep was common among them.

It's not just the talent... The talent assessments could be spot in, warranting the pick in that specific spot but it's how they gel with the coaches, players at the next level that determines if they'll make it or not... That's why it's risky to draft guys that are unstable, poor character, immature, etc... They may have the talent to warrant the spot but their immaturity could be their downfall... That is the part that is the most difficult to measure when drafting a player - how will they gel with their teammates/coaches/handle the pressure at next level...

This is why I love the Penny pick... High character, humble, hard working, diversified, durable, talented SOB... He's set up for success right away imo... A very safe pick for us that will more than likely pan out...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just the talent... The talent assessments could be spot in, warranting the pick in that specific spot but it's how they gel with the coaches, players at the next level that determines if they'll make it or not... That's why it's risky to draft guys that are unstable, poor character, immature, etc... They may have the talent to warrant the spot but their immaturity could be their downfall... That is the part that is the most difficult to measure when drafting a player - how will they gel with their teammates/coaches/handle the pressure at next level...

This is why I love the Penny pick... High character, humble, hard working, diversified, durable, talented SOB... He's set up for success right away imo... A very safe pick for us that will more than likely pan out...
Yeah, I know it's more than just talent. But my point was that the Curry pick failed on the field. We had pretty much the same "can't miss" assessment as the rest of the league, but that's not what we ended up seeing on the field for whatever reason. With McDowell, we never got to see him sink or swim on the field due to something not related to football.