• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2018

Who are we drafting at 19?

• Offense

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Defense

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett never made a pro bowl? Obviously not with us, but his stats were decent a couple years.

Back to the list, it doesn't really surprise me. Look at the draft capital that was used. (1) 1st, (2) 2nds and (2) 3rds all ended up being at least 6 year NFL vets. The rest were all 4th round or later - and those you don't hit very often. Crayton, Harris and Hanna were all decent "hit's" relative to their selection.

If you want stars, you have to invest and use your resources. We've been reluctant to do that at WR - but I think the reason isn't because we were set at WR, it was because we always needed to invest in other (weaker) areas.
At TE we've just kept stocking up on our depth and Witten keeps defying odds. At least we stopped throwing our 2nd rounder out the window -toward TE.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett never made a pro bowl? Obviously not with us, but his stats were decent a couple years.

Back to the list, it doesn't really surprise me. Look at the draft capital that was used. (1) 1st, (2) 2nds and (2) 3rds all ended up being at least 6 year NFL vets. The rest were all 4th round or later - and those you don't hit very often. Crayton, Harris and Hanna were all decent "hit's" relative to their selection.

If you want stars, you have to invest and use your resources. We've been reluctant to do that at WR - but I think the reason isn't because we were set at WR, it was because we always needed to invest in other (weaker) areas.
At TE we've just kept stocking up on our depth and Witten keeps defying odds. At least we stopped throwing our 2nd rounder out the window -toward TE.
Agree and maybe that has been part of the problem, that we didn't put enough emphasis on the WR position to fix it. But we certainly put more into TE than I'm sure most teams and still haven't found Witten's replacement so not sure what the excuse can be there.

But, it's also the number of picks, not just the quality of picks and we went there pretty much every single year. Good players are found in the back of the draft every year. So I'm not giving a pass for not finding better players because we drafted there in later rounds.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like I am in the minority here, has everyone else given up hope on Rico Gathers?

I don't think Dallas needs to address TE in this draft - I wouldn't personally spend a pick on one.

As for Gathers, the guy looked like a legit receiving threat in the preseason last year - he made several nice plays. With his size and athleticism he is a mismatch for most. It's hard to say what really happened with him last year after pre-season, I tend to think Dallas didn't trust Gathers in the other facets of the game (pass, run blocking) enough to let him see the field in the regular season. So the Cowboys stashed him on IR claiming that his concussion issues were slow to resolve themselves - presumably for contractual/control reasons, and the organization didn't want to carry a 4th TE who wouldn't see the field much at all. Gathers tweets early during the season last year seemed to allude to the idea that he was healthy long before the season was over.

Obviously this will be a make or break year for Gathers. I think Gathers and Hanna will be fighting for the same roster spot. Count me as a Gathers believer, I think he makes the roster this year and sees the field.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as draft targets go, it looks like the Cowboys 1st and 2nd round targets are starting to firm up...

Cowboys 2018 pre-draft Visit Tracker: Official visits, private workouts, Dallas Day invites

If I had to take a guess...

1st round targets at #19 (in no particular order)
1. Vita Vea, DT
2. Harold Landy, DE
3. Mike McGlinchey, OT
4. Calvin Ridley, WR
5. Legihton Vander Esch, LB

1st round trade back targets / 2nd round targets
1. Da'Ron Payne, DT
2. Taven Bryan, DT
3. Conor Williams, C/G
4. Rashaan Evans, LB(medical red flag at combine)
5. Dj Moore, WR
6. James Daniels, OT

Seems pretty evident to me that Dallas intends to grab a 1T DT in the first two rounds. This list is incomplete, so a few more names may pop up between now and the draft.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like I am in the minority here, has everyone else given up hope on Rico Gathers?

I don't think Dallas needs to address TE in this draft - I wouldn't personally spend a pick on one.

As for Gathers, the guy looked like a legit receiving threat in the preseason last year - he made several nice plays. With his size and athleticism he is a mismatch for most. It's hard to say what really happened with him last year after pre-season, I tend to think Dallas didn't trust Gathers in the other facets of the game (pass, run blocking) enough to let him see the field in the regular season. So the Cowboys stashed him on IR claiming that his concussion issues were slow to resolve themselves - presumably for contractual/control reasons, and the organization didn't want to carry a 4th TE who wouldn't see the field much at all. Gathers tweets early during the season last year seemed to allude to the idea that he was healthy long before the season was over.

Obviously this will be a make or break year for Gathers. I think Gathers and Hanna will be fighting for the same roster spot. Count me as a Gathers believer, I think he makes the roster this year and sees the field.
Certainly don't need to use an early pick or even any picks on TE. I still think WR will be picked in 1st few rounds. The only #1receiver I see is Ridley. Great route runner with the speed to be a deep threat. Ridley is always getting separation.

My gut tells me we pick Arden Key. It would be so jerry like to draft Key in the 2nd.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I remember hearing, the issue with Gathers seemed to go deeper than catching the Football. Poor blocking as you mentioned, but worse than that apparently kept missing his assignments. Ran poor routes and at times didn't know what routes to run or who do block or where he should be in the offense. That isn't they type of guy Garrett will ever put on the field. But, he is still young and inexperienced and the more reps he gets with the first and second teams in practice the more they will find out if he can start to put it together.

As you said this is a make or break year. He has the skill set but he needs to learn how to play Football. He isn't close to being an every down player so I don't think he will affect our drafting or not drafting of a TE. My hope for him is that he either makes the game day roster consistently or is cut. I don't think he is PS eligible any more and at some point you need to produce or you need to be gone. I think there is a chance he could get 10-15 snaps a game and if he is put in the right position I think he can help us this year with one or two big plays a week. But if we only go with 3 TEs I don't think he will be one of them. If we cut Hanna we just don't have the run blocking TEs (unless a blocking TE replaces him) that we need for this offense.

If I had to guess I would say we keep 4 TEs on the final roster and Gathers makes the cut and I think he will have enough good plays this year to make him part of our future too. The more he learns the better he will be. We need a guy that can be a mismatch at TE to open up the Offense a little and he has shown he is capable of that. We also need very good blocking TEs and he hasn't shown he can be that. I am kind of excited to hear how he does in the preseason this year and to watch him in the preseason games again.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Fasano was a solid pro, just never had a spot with Witten in his prime years. But our receivers have been a mess.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I remember hearing, the issue with Gathers seemed to go deeper than catching the Football. Poor blocking as you mentioned, but worse than that apparently kept missing his assignments. Ran poor routes and at times didn't know what routes to run or who do block or where he should be in the offense. That isn't they type of guy Garrett will ever put on the field. But, he is still young and inexperienced and the more reps he gets with the first and second teams in practice the more they will find out if he can start to put it together.

As you said this is a make or break year. He has the skill set but he needs to learn how to play Football. He isn't close to being an every down player so I don't think he will affect our drafting or not drafting of a TE. My hope for him is that he either makes the game day roster consistently or is cut. I don't think he is PS eligible any more and at some point you need to produce or you need to be gone. I think there is a chance he could get 10-15 snaps a game and if he is put in the right position I think he can help us this year with one or two big plays a week. But if we only go with 3 TEs I don't think he will be one of them. If we cut Hanna we just don't have the run blocking TEs (unless a blocking TE replaces him) that we need for this offense.

If I had to guess I would say we keep 4 TEs on the final roster and Gathers makes the cut and I think he will have enough good plays this year to make him part of our future too. The more he learns the better he will be. We need a guy that can be a mismatch at TE to open up the Offense a little and he has shown he is capable of that. We also need very good blocking TEs and he hasn't shown he can be that. I am kind of excited to hear how he does in the preseason this year and to watch him in the preseason games again.

I think Gathers is one of the more exciting prospects on the roster for sure. He has huge potential, certainly a tremendous barrier to reach it, too. If Gathers does put it together, he has flashed the tools to become a huge weapon, and just the thought of that is very exciting. Who knows what his chances are, but if he does hit, it will be like winning the NFL lottery.

Of course, he may never be anything in the NFL, but let's dream big here.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem with that.

Payne can definitely help. I'm on board with it if it came to be. My only concern is Alabama products are such a crap shoot - especially linemen. Some 'Bama players look better than they are because they are surrounded by so much other talent.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payne can definitely help. I'm on board with it if it came to be. My only concern is Alabama products are such a crap shoot - especially linemen. Some 'Bama players look better than they are because they are surrounded by so much other talent.
That is so true. Alabama has had some busts lately. It has become a crap shoot with them. They have field alot of talent in college, but the linemen have been so so on both sides of the ball. The SEC does produce talent, but Dallas seems to whiff on them, Skyleer Green, Claiborne etc..

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as draft targets go, it looks like the Cowboys 1st and 2nd round targets are starting to firm up...

Cowboys 2018 pre-draft Visit Tracker: Official visits, private workouts, Dallas Day invites

If I had to take a guess...

1st round targets at #19 (in no particular order)
1. Vita Vea, DT
2. Harold Landy, DE
3. Mike McGlinchey, OT
4. Calvin Ridley, WR
5. Legihton Vander Esch, LB

1st round trade back targets / 2nd round targets
1. Da'Ron Payne, DT
2. Taven Bryan, DT
3. Conor Williams, C/G
4. Rashaan Evans, LB(medical red flag at combine)
5. Dj Moore, WR
6. James Daniels, OT

Seems pretty evident to me that Dallas intends to grab a 1T DT in the first two rounds. This list is incomplete, so a few more names may pop up between now and the draft.
Doubtful we can get Payne by trading back.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubtful we can get Payne by trading back.

You may be right.

Personally, I don't think Payne is a premier prospect in this draft - not like Vea. Payne may go anywhere in the back half of the first round, but certainly not the top half, like Vea probably will. I can see Dallas being able to slide back a few spots and still get him - teams may want to trade up for a QB like Jackson or Mayfield if he falls a little.

I'm just trying to read the tea leaves and don't know anymore than you.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to make a choice based on need it would be Vander esch or derwin james. Going into the season with just jaylon and Lee would be crazy. Since James is most likely gone before 19 then Vander esch makes sense.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want 2 LBs from our 10 picks, and prioritize skill for the position and not flex. I don't want two same size and skill set dudes that can play two spots but aren't great at either. Give me an honest-to-God Mike and a Will/Sam flexible guy. I would accept a Will and a Mike/Sam.
As soon as Lee is off the field, all hell breaks loose. Seems like everyone gets lined up, the play starts and LBs get fooled and are out of position. And we've had some veteran guys in the game in those situations and they still take the bait. Lee's instincts are second to none. Georgia's Smith is the closest thing this draft has to offer in that department. LVE is probably next on that list. I really want one of those two.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want 2 LBs from our 10 picks, and prioritize skill for the position and not flex. I don't want two same size and skill set dudes that can play two spots but aren't great at either. Give me an honest-to-God Mike and a Will/Sam flexible guy. I would accept a Will and a Mike/Sam.
As soon as Lee is off the field, all hell breaks loose. Seems like everyone gets lined up, the play starts and LBs get fooled and are out of position. And we've had some veteran guys in the game in those situations and they still take the bait. Lee's instincts are second to none. Georgia's Smith is the closest thing this draft has to offer in that department. LVE is probably next on that list. I really want one of those two.

Agreed. I also don't want a "defensive back". Give me a strong safety. He doesn't need to play the pickle, or ability to switch to corner, or anything else. Just give me a guy that can lock down a specific position.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I also don't want a "defensive back". Give me a strong safety. He doesn't need to play the pickle, or ability to switch to corner, or anything else. Just give me a guy that can lock down a specific position.

That is why I wish they had taken a one year flyer on Honey Badger. He would have been an upgrade over what we have now.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why I wish they had taken a one year flyer on Honey Badger. He would have been an upgrade over what we have now.
It was kind of the opposite with HB. Wasn't part of the concern with him pre-draft that he didn't have a specific position?