• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks Offseason Thread

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, apparently I was mistaken about TVR being sent down, so apparently they ARE carrying 8 d-men. I'm ok with that if Roszival is the 8th man, but I don't want youth being wasted in the press box.

I dont think they will. If Rosie gets a game a week its enough til you get closer to the playoffs.

I also read Versteeg suffered a lower body injury in practice yesterday. He showed some value this preseason, its too bad we could not have moved him before he got hurt again. He should be down for three weeks so Regin will probably be back up.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors:
Wings are interested in Sharpie.
Yotes are interested in Bickell.
Hawks may keep RFA Rundblad & Kruger.

Awards:
Crawford wins his 2nd Jennings trophy (tied with Habs for fewest goals against).
Toews wins Messier Leadership Award.

Other:
Preds released Stalberg. I wonder if he comes back?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors:
Wings are interested in Sharpie.
Yotes are interested in Bickell.
Hawks may keep RFA Rundblad & Kruger.

Awards:
Crawford wins his 2nd Jennings trophy (tied with Habs for fewest goals against).
Toews wins Messier Leadership Award.

Other:
Preds released Stalberg. I wonder if he comes back?

I was reading that Washington has moved to the top of the heap looking at sharp, but nobody is gonna give up the first rounder, top prospect and entry contract top 6 for the declining sharp. The only thing I believe is they are only looking at eastern teams to deal with so they see him as little as possible. I really question if Hossa is gonna keep playing here after next season, this is the last big money year for him at 7.9 per that one new site. Then he drops to 4 and then 1 million.

As far as keeping Rundbad, really cannot see why. He was not given much of an opportunity during the real season, the playoff season. He seems to have a heavy shot, but Q just does not trust him and really seems like a hard head situation between Bowmans and Q. It would make you wonder if a second D man would be leaving with Oduya if they keep Runblad.

Was expecting something to have happened by now, guess its gonna be a busy night as the hawks try to get a first round pick back.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think these teams really think they can see a way of the hawks dressing 20 skaters a night at the cap without moving some of these deals, or are the hawks really believing they can healthy scratch enough until the cap does not matter in the playoffs?

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JBM73 @anotheridiot
So now that some of the major smoke has cleared and we lose Saad, Sharp, Raanta, Oduya, etc... what do you think of the 2015-16 Hawks so far? And do you think we have a shot a repeating?

My opinion: Very sad to see Saad and Sharp go. But I still think the Hawks may be in decent offensive shape for the upcoming season. I think back to 2010, and after we won that Cup, we lost Soupy and Cam Barker (not to mention Niemi). I think that was a big hit to the defense IMO. We also lost Brouwer (had 22 goals that year) and Ladd (he had 17). Get this - Saad had 23 goals and Sharp 16 - same total of 39 as Brouwer/Ladd from 2010.

In a nutshell I think we can still be competitive for 2016. However I'm worried about these rumors about Seabrook and Shaw. Seabs disappears at times, but the guy always seems to help more than he hurts. And Shaw? Well, I hate to lose a guy with a heart as big as the game itself.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a problem that Bowmans almost always want to tear it down to show they can build it up again, but then rarely go to our own youth to do it.

Think of last season, players that were healthy scratches during the regular season, Q scratches to get a point across included Saad and Kruger. So there are always questions of how bad they think they need these guys.

We had star players go to the third line, which should have had an advantage against lesser defenders, like Shaw, Saad, Sharp, Versteeg and they did not do anything. If they have to play with Toews (ESPY's best hockey player) to be effective, then maybe its true that anyone could do it.

I will miss Saad and Sharp, do not think they lost much with Oduya for Daley since Oduya was rumored to be moved seemingly every year. Raanta was a good game goalie, but shootouts killed him, and if you are gonna be an NHL goalie playing in the regular season you need better. The downside was the team always played better in front of Raanta, seemed like they loved the kid.

The players they got back are already put ahead of Teuvo for the second line center, which pissed me off. Anisimov will start there, Teuvo probably left on a wing now. I dont know if they expect to ride Teuvo down so he cant demand big money when his contract is up, but he was great in the playoffs and still is compared to Datsuk, why would they pick Anisimov and Dano to take that place when he is still on the cheap?

As far as Shaw, I guess this kid Garbutt is that instigator to replace shaw if he goes, but with half his salary being picked up by Dallas, you think he will end up in Rockford all year. Shaw has all those intangibles you look for in that lower 6 forward. He can take face offs and is the one guy other than toews that is not afraid to get in the blue paint. With the replacements we got, I am sure he can be replaced, he just is one that should not be replaced.

I still want to see McNeil get a shot at being a point man for the power play, so you still figure that Versteeg or Bickell need to be moved. I dont know if Morin will be on this club when season starts either. Guess we wait and see who else decides to come here on the cheap for a chance at a cup before we put any of these youngsters in the lineup.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a problem that Bowmans almost always want to tear it down to show they can build it up again, but then rarely go to our own youth to do it.

I keep hearing this, but it's not really true. Saad, TVR, Kruger, Shaw and TT all had little trouble breaking into the line-up at very young ages. What CAN be said about Q is that he seems to make decisions on whether or not he likes a player very quickly, usually in training camp. If a guy gets sent to Rockford for more than one season, it almost always means he's not Q's type of player. What this says to me is that our prospects that aren't in the NHL after one season in Rockford really aren't that good. Certainly none of the ones that the Hawks have traded away have gone on to be anything special. I hope that remains true with moving Paliotta and Johns...

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JBM73 @anotheridiot
So now that some of the major smoke has cleared and we lose Saad, Sharp, Raanta, Oduya, etc... what do you think of the 2015-16 Hawks so far? And do you think we have a shot a repeating?

My opinion: Very sad to see Saad and Sharp go. But I still think the Hawks may be in decent offensive shape for the upcoming season. I think back to 2010, and after we won that Cup, we lost Soupy and Cam Barker (not to mention Niemi). I think that was a big hit to the defense IMO. We also lost Brouwer (had 22 goals that year) and Ladd (he had 17). Get this - Saad had 23 goals and Sharp 16 - same total of 39 as Brouwer/Ladd from 2010.

In a nutshell I think we can still be competitive for 2016. However I'm worried about these rumors about Seabrook and Shaw. Seabs disappears at times, but the guy always seems to help more than he hurts. And Shaw? Well, I hate to lose a guy with a heart as big as the game itself.

Well, I like the forward group - I don't think the Hawks really lost much up front in all honesty, at least if the new guys (Panarin, Tikhonov, Dano, Anisimov) play close to their potential. Hopefully they can find a way to re-sign Kruger. What scares me is the D. I'll give Daley the benefit of the doubt and say he replaces Oduya in the top 4. TVR as a 5 is fine if he can stay healthy. Rundblad as the clear #6? A rookie as the #7? Scary as hell. The Hawks have traded their prospect depth on D (Johns, Paliotta) - I think only Pokka might challenge for a roster spot. After that? Not much.

Honestly, I still see another forward or two being moved and another veteran 5/6 d-man signed if not acquired in a trade. I'm hoping for better than Rozsival, though...

I do think Shaw could be one to go if he''s going to be slotted into a 4th line role again. I REALLY can't see moving Seabrook. I would think Crow would be traded first if it came to it.

Chicago Blackhawks Contracts -- war-on-ice.com -- war-on-ice.com

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing this, but it's not really true. Saad, TVR, Kruger, Shaw and TT all had little trouble breaking into the line-up at very young ages. What CAN be said about Q is that he seems to make decisions on whether or not he likes a player very quickly, usually in training camp. If a guy gets sent to Rockford for more than one season, it almost always means he's not Q's type of player. What this says to me is that our prospects that aren't in the NHL after one season in Rockford really aren't that good. Certainly none of the ones that the Hawks have traded away have gone on to be anything special. I hope that remains true with moving Paliotta and Johns...

I cant agree that TT had trouble breaking into the lineup, sure, the first season was purposely left in Rockford to gain another year of control, but he should have had a better shot to make the team out of camp last year, only playing in 34 games. It was close to looking like he was one of the guys Q did not like. Saad got 46 games in his first full season. We will see where he stands this year, with all the new forwards and more experience. He definitely showed up in the playoffs, with the Hossa mentality of if I give the puck away, I will go get it back. An exciting line could be Hossa, Teuvo and Dano together, just cant see it happening.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant agree that TT had trouble breaking into the lineup, sure, the first season was purposely left in Rockford to gain another year of control, but he should have had a better shot to make the team out of camp last year, only playing in 34 games. It was close to looking like he was one of the guys Q did not like. Saad got 46 games in his first full season. We will see where he stands this year, with all the new forwards and more experience. He definitely showed up in the playoffs, with the Hossa mentality of if I give the puck away, I will go get it back. An exciting line could be Hossa, Teuvo and Dano together, just cant see it happening.

TT only spent a 1/2 year in Rockford. My point was that Q's "guys" tend to spend one year or less in Rockford. I consider TT at a 1/2 season to fall into that category. I especially understand wanting to give guys coming over from Europe a little time at the AHL level. But, I guess I understand your comment that it was touch and go with him for a bit, considering how much the Hawks had hyped him up.

With Hossa, TT and Dano, who do you see playing center? TT? I've read where Dano has said he hasn't played center in a few years.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely want to see Teuvo at center. He just has those magic hands that kane has that made them even try him at center for a while. I really watch Teuvo on the ice, and he is really responsible defensively. I just dont see my dream line of Teuvo and Kane happening with Anisimov here now, so Teuvo and Hossa, with Dano wanting to follow Hoss around like his shadow sounds like it would make sense. I think it would make a scary third line.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely want to see Teuvo at center. He just has those magic hands that kane has that made them even try him at center for a while. I really watch Teuvo on the ice, and he is really responsible defensively. I just dont see my dream line of Teuvo and Kane happening with Anisimov here now, so Teuvo and Hossa, with Dano wanting to follow Hoss around like his shadow sounds like it would make sense. I think it would make a scary third line.

Well, as frequently as Q changes lines both game to game and within a game, I'm sure we;ll see those combos together at SOME point...

C

cubzzzfanincali

seems to me like the main issue at this point is just the basic roster structure rather than worrying about who exactly will be on what line and when. Q will sort that out, In Q I Trust. I am more worried about getting another defenseman on this roster with this cap at this point in things.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems to me like the main issue at this point is just the basic roster structure rather than worrying about who exactly will be on what line and when. Q will sort that out, In Q I Trust. I am more worried about getting another defenseman on this roster with this cap at this point in things.

Why dont you want TVR, Pokka or Svedberg to make the club?

We still have Keith, seabs, hammer, daley, tvr, runblad as it is, with the convention this week, I doubt any other big names are going to be traded.

Its different when you have a richards type that wants a shot at the cup to take the place of an up and coming hawk center. If you want seabrook here past next season, he is going to demand 7 million per season, he is already our highest paid D man at 5.8. You need to get these kids involved if you plan to keep him around. It takes a couple 800k guys to be on the roster to support the multi millionaires so getting them real time on the ice the first half of the season to see what they have before they get replaced at the deadline is a path that is going to need to be followed.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I guess I would like to see them have 7 D's in the hopper, and I'm not convinced Rundblad should be one. So I see 5 (Keith, seabs, hammer, daley, tvr), and sure hopefully either Pokka or Sverberg becomes #6. Hey maybe both of them pan out, but seems like a lot to ask.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it currently stands, I see the following players as the likely choices to start the year (I'm excluding Kruger as he's unsigned and would require other moves to sign):

Forwards (14):
J Toews
M Hossa
P Kane
A Anisimov
T Teravainen
M Dano
V Tikhonov
A Shaw
A Panarin
B Bickell
K Versteeg
R Garbutt
A Desjardins
K Baun

Defensemen (7):
D Keith
B Seabrook
N Hjalmarsson
T Daley
T van Riemsdyk
D Rundblad
E Gustafsson

Goalies (2):
C Crawford
S Darling

Ideally, Bickell and Versteeg are traded, Kruger is signed and a free agent d-man is signed to split the 6/7 role with Rundblad, bumping Gustafsson to Rockford.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would expect to see Nordstrom in the mix if Kruger is not signed so there is a solid PK guy that Q trusts a little. I also expect Morin to be there in place or Garbutt with that half contract he is easier to hide there. Kinda redundant with Shaw in the lineup, dont know if they would both play together. I mean they did get sweaters for the convention.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would expect to see Nordstrom in the mix if Kruger is not signed so there is a solid PK guy that Q trusts a little. I also expect Morin to be there in place or Garbutt with that half contract he is easier to hide there. Kinda redundant with Shaw in the lineup, dont know if they would both play together. I mean they did get sweaters for the convention.

Nordstrom is a definite possibility, but I think he's still an unsigned RFA. I don't see Morin making the team to start. He's not a 4th line player - he either needs to be in the top 9 or in the AHL, and I think he starts at the latter with a chance to work himself into a position to be recalled.

Last edited:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about Danault. He's got a good chance to make the team, too.