• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Official Seahawk Draft thread

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said as long as it didn't turn Pete sour. Like JS said it was more along the lines of "I could tell when he didn't like a trade or acquisition". Other than that Pete let him do what he pretty much wanted to help the team.
I don't think it's much different then how Lynch works with Shanahan or how Snead works with McVay.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's much different then how Lynch works with Shanahan or how Snead works with McVay.

I don't think its much different than what a lot of teams do it's just people here assumed Pete was a tyrant king and that was what was holding the team back. What was holding the team back was bad FO moves, out dated philosophy and scheme. Add to the the inability to adapt to the "New NFL" or draft well and failing to often on high profile trades/players. both were Pete AND JS issues. Then they went into band-aid mode reminding me of the TR years.

All band-aids do is keep you strapped for cash and drafting in the early 20's. The talent just bleeds away slowly and the next thing you know you're a 4 win team with a long rebuild path out of it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are all aware that a trade down is a possibility this draft. Fieldgulls has listed the trade downs under JS and who the Seahawks have drafted in this article:

My feelings after seeing the history of the results after trading down is it usually doesn't work out well. Still the obvious lack of draft capitol makes it seem inevitable this draft. Sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are all aware that a trade down is a possibility this draft. Fieldgulls has listed the trade downs under JS and who the Seahawks have drafted in this article:

My feelings after seeing the history of the results after trading down is it usually doesn't work out well. Still the obvious lack of draft capitol makes it seem inevitable this draft. Sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I mean according to that article none of them really worked lol.

Where we did stay put, Devon Witherspoon made the pro bowl his rookie year, Charles Cross was coming along nicely until he got injured - but he still finished with a decent PFF grade (almost 70), and a lot of good games came once he started to get the rust off after his injury. He also had one of the worst LGs (Lewis) playing along side him last year. And then JSN really started to come along nicely as the season went on and is backlogged anyway at WR with Lockett/Metcalf ahead. ET was a HOFer, Okung was a 2x pro bowler, he just couldn't stay healthy. I guess Carpenter kind of sucked but we put him all over the place (his first 2 years in NYJ he was pretty good).

I know it's still very early, but so far NOT trading back seems to have worked better than trading back. And then STOP TRADING OUR FIRST ROUND PICKS!!!! Every person we've traded a 1st for started to suck out of nowhere. Now that could be scheme, or we're just not good at scouting injuries/mental health, etc.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where we did stay put, Devon Witherspoon made the pro bowl his rookie year, Charles Cross was coming along nicely until he got injured - but he still finished with a decent PFF grade (almost 70), and a lot of good games came once he started to get the rust off after his injury. He also had one of the worst LGs (Lewis) playing along side him last year. And then JSN really started to come along nicely as the season went on and is backlogged anyway at WR with Lockett/Metcalf ahead. ET was a HOFer, Okung was a 2x pro bowler, he just couldn't stay healthy. I guess Carpenter kind of sucked but we put him all over the place (his first 2 years in NYJ he was pretty good).

I know it's still very early, but so far NOT trading back seems to have worked better than trading back. And then STOP TRADING OUR FIRST ROUND PICKS!!!! Every person we've traded a 1st for started to suck out of nowhere. Now that could be scheme, or we're just not good at scouting injuries/mental health, etc.
It doesn't generally work out, but is it because the draft class is lacking? I got to say there are some interesting prospects that will go in round two this draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly outside of the top 3 I think the other 3 QBs should all be 2nd rounders or maybe a LATE 1st for the 5th year option... I think McCarthy could maybe start since he comes from a pro style offense but he's VERY young.... Nix/Penix IMO should BOTH sit for a year which is why Seattle may work out as Geno is the starter this year. I know Wilson overtook Flynn, but it was Flynn... guy had one GAME of success.

That said, teams want QBs so they'll think about moving up, trading, or maybe Schneider/MacDonald likes someone. It is the most important position in sports so I see no reason why you wouldn't bring in Nix and Penix Jr. (since McCarthy and the other 3 will be long gone by then). You may really like one in which case you make a play, or you at least know quite a bit about more about them and can gauge how attractive they may be to other teams for trade value.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This could be a good year to trade back and pick up a pick or 2 with defensive players falling back. It's possible 5 QBs, 3 or 4 WRs and a couple o-line guys go off the board before Seattle pick.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tvondre sweat was arrested for dui, not that i thought he was a possibility but now its 0%.

If he fell to round 4 because of this, i would take a shot at him. Dude is massive and talented.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tvondre sweat was arrested for dui, not that i thought he was a possibility but now its 0%.

If he fell to round 4 because of this, i would take a shot at him. Dude is massive and talented.
Macdonald typically likes a massive DT and Sweat and Maason Smith were 2 that fit the bill this draft, but now both may be off JS list due to character issues. I was intrigued with Sweat as he would have gone a long ways to improving the run defense. Some team will take a gamble on him day 2 of the draft but it won't be the Seahawks.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WalterFootball had Sweat going in the 3rd round and that was before his DUI. If he's there with our early 4th from the Skins I'd snag him.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweat is my favorite "non-1st-round" prospect.... hope we end up with him, even after this.

Edit: he's the reason I've been hoping we'd trade down for two 2nds

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was an interesting mock...

Has us trading back with the Eagles (our 16th and early 4th for their 22nd and 50th):

Then taking:
1st: Newton - DT (good)
2nd: Trevin Wallace - LB (bit of a surprise. I don't know if the plan would be to convert him to ILB or what. His athleticism was off the charts, ran a 4.51 at nearly 240 lbs!). I haven't seen anyone mock him to Seattle. Walt Football has him in the 4th round for what it's worth.
3rd: Layden Robinson - G (no surprise for the need here)
4th: Jalyx Hunt - EDGE (this is an interesting one. He used to play safety apparently so I would ASSUME he's okay in coverage - for an EDGE anyway?)

One of the more interesting mocks I've seen. All those guys are crazy athletic (maybe with exception of Newton although he's no slouch). Guard off the board in the 3rd I GUESS would be a starter? So that leaves a concern on the OL but I dunno... there's no guarantee Fautanu would work either so *shrugs*.... that still leaves a major hole at IOL but the defense would be pretty shored up at that point outside of maybe safety.

Either way, a different take to a lot of mocks that I've seen. I know some of you will absolutely hate it.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was an interesting mock...

Has us trading back with the Eagles (our 16th and early 4th for their 22nd and 50th):

Then taking:
1st: Newton - DT (good)
2nd: Trevin Wallace - LB (bit of a surprise. I don't know if the plan would be to convert him to ILB or what. His athleticism was off the charts, ran a 4.51 at nearly 240 lbs!). I haven't seen anyone mock him to Seattle. Walt Football has him in the 4th round for what it's worth.
3rd: Layden Robinson - G (no surprise for the need here)
4th: Jalyx Hunt - EDGE (this is an interesting one. He used to play safety apparently so I would ASSUME he's okay in coverage - for an EDGE anyway?)

One of the more interesting mocks I've seen. All those guys are crazy athletic (maybe with exception of Newton although he's no slouch). Guard off the board in the 3rd I GUESS would be a starter? So that leaves a concern on the OL but I dunno... there's no guarantee Fautanu would work either so *shrugs*.... that still leaves a major hole at IOL but the defense would be pretty shored up at that point outside of maybe safety.

Either way, a different take to a lot of mocks that I've seen. I know some of you will absolutely hate it.
It's a different draft, you don't see these players mocked to the Seahawks typically. Newton of course is the big name and some think he's going to be top notch in the pro's. Not a typical Macdonald DT as he usually has a big boy at DT like Hankins but maybe bigger. Wallace is really athletic and plays all over including offense at times, nice chess piece maybe. Layden Robinson I don't know much about but this is a scouting report on him from the draft network:
1712682310322.png
Layden Robinson is a muscle-bound offensive lineman who is best when working north-south in the ground game. At the snap, he is consistently the first off the ball. Heavy hands to shock linemen but will not displace defenders. Leg drive is present but Robinson will not relocate linemen unless given a vacant runway to do so.

In pass pro, he showcases excellent technique and is quick to establish an anchor if jolted off of his spot. Does a nice job with his hands to holster linemen into his frame where he can quickly stymie the momentum of opponents.

Concerns remain about his combination of athleticism, awareness, and knack for grabbing when beat. In the ground game, he’s been a primary zone blocker for the Aggies but most success could come in gap schemes due to concerns with his footwork, flexibility, and overall athletic profile. Will lunge at opponents to win first with his hands but can quickly find himself over his toes and off balance, especially when working up to the second level. Linebackers and secondary defenders are quick to dip and slide under his hands which limits his effectiveness as a puller. More experience against exotic fronts is needed to ID stunts/twists—Robinson can get tunnel vision at times and miss free runners (Alabama). Strong inside a phone booth but utilizing power outside in wider areas is an area of improvement.

Jalyx Hunt - EDGE Good size and a developmental type as he is considered raw and struggles on run defense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After his DUI I am surprised he's getting a visit considering JS talk about character being a big consideration.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After his DUI I am surprised he's getting a visit considering JS talk about character being a big consideration.
I think it's possible to hold character as a big consideration and still look at players who may have made a mistake. Everyone gets their day in court, and maybe the team wants to get a better feel for what he's all about.... whether the incident is more likely a one-off type deal or evidence of a true character flaw. And let's not forget that the supremely talented players tend to get 3rd and 4th chances, while average Joe has a much less forgiving operating space.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's possible to hold character as a big consideration and still look at players who may have made a mistake. Everyone gets their day in court, and maybe the team wants to get a better feel for what he's all about.... whether the incident is more likely a one-off type deal or evidence of a true character flaw. And let's not forget that the supremely talented players tend to get 3rd and 4th chances, while average Joe has a much less forgiving operating space.
I guess your right on that. I believe they interviewed Carter last season after his trouble last season.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now a lot of people are mocking and saying Penix is going to be a 1st round pick and ahead of Nix... some sources are saying he impressed the most at the combine for QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This mocks has us trading down with the Chiefs for their 1st and 2nd and a 2025 3rd rounder.

I would be happy with this trade down. Especially if Fautanu is gone at 16.