• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Official Seahawk Draft thread

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching staff mostly set so it is time to talk about the draft. So I'm kicking it off and starting a draft thread. Early @MrS said he had a "hunch" that the Seahawks take a interior OL with their first round pick. It is a need but I was doubtful about them using their first on a guard, but in fact ESPN has a guard with a first round grade ( for what ever that is worth this early). Interesting that it's a Husky player:

1707876514856.png

They also had a center with a first round grade:

1707876587398.png

A player I got my eye on for the Seahawks is this player:
1707876763072.png

They had McCarthy at #30 and Penix down further #45. If the Seahawks could drop back pick up both Sweat and Penix I would assume it must be a dream. Sweat is the proto type nose tackle for a 3-4. Unmovable in the center of the line and has some ability to pressure the QB up the middle. Now this is what I would want in a DT in a 3-4. The run defense would become so much better immediately and it would make the players beside him better IMO.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id love sweat dude was a beast in college, under performed in the senior bowl though i heard

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching staff mostly set so it is time to talk about the draft. So I'm kicking it off and starting a draft thread. Early @MrS said he had a "hunch" that the Seahawks take a interior OL with their first round pick. It is a need but I was doubtful about them using their first on a guard, but in fact ESPN has a guard with a first round grade ( for what ever that is worth this early). Interesting that it's a Husky player:

View attachment 354441

They also had a center with a first round grade:

View attachment 354442

A player I got my eye on for the Seahawks is this player:
View attachment 354443

They had McCarthy at #30 and Penix down further #45. If the Seahawks could drop back pick up both Sweat and Penix I would assume it must be a dream. Sweat is the proto type nose tackle for a 3-4. Unmovable in the center of the line and has some ability to pressure the QB up the middle. Now this is what I would want in a DT in a 3-4. The run defense would become so much better immediately and it would make the players beside him better IMO.

I see a lot of mocks that have us taking Fautanu. I would be happy with that. Sweat is a little worrisome given how large he is and I would be a bit worried if he has the needed athleticism.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will be taking a tackling linebacker with the 1st pick. As much as Bobby is loved here in Seattle I am sure Mcdonald would want a new face on his defense and I also can't image how he feels about jordyn brooks extending him and paying him. I would like to think that his team needs a change of coaching/maturation and chemistry. I feel like there is plenty of talent its just not coming together the right way.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will be taking a tackling linebacker with the 1st pick. As much as Bobby is loved here in Seattle I am sure Mcdonald would want a new face on his defense and I also can't image how he feels about jordyn brooks extending him and paying him. I would like to think that his team needs a change of coaching/maturation and chemistry. I feel like there is plenty of talent its just not coming together the right way.
i dont think there is a single inside LB projected to go round 1, that would have to be round 2 at the earliest. I think its a pretty weak LB class overall.

they might go and get a FA, maybe queen.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think there is a single inside LB projected to go round 1, that would have to be round 2 at the earliest. I think its a pretty weak LB class overall.

I think Queen would be a great signing

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is a weak class for LB, but maybe those two Michigan inside LBs would be considered-Colson and Barrett. Could wait until 3rd round or later for them.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see us sign Queen. But we need to free up a lot of cap to even think about doing this.
Indeed they need to figure out what they want to do to create cap space. How much space do they want to create? Should they kick the can down the road ( post June cuts, void years, extensions) or just take their lumps this season ( so cut those who will save some cap space outright).
Seahawks are not in a good place cap wise, but it is still fixable I think, but it is complicated. Don't think flashy free agent signings are going to happen this season, it's more about moving on from players not delivering bang for the buck and players that don't fit the rebuild. Seahawks will get younger IMO this season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed they need to figure out what they want to do to create cap space. How much space do they want to create? Should they kick the can down the road ( post June cuts, void years, extensions) or just take their lumps this season ( so cut those who will save some cap space outright).
Seahawks are not in a good place cap wise, but it is still fixable I think, but it is complicated. Don't think flashy free agent signings are going to happen this season, it's more about moving on from players not delivering bang for the buck and players that don't fit the rebuild. Seahawks will get younger IMO this season.

I agree with this more or less. I fully expect the obvious guys(Adams, Dissly, Money) to get cut pretty quickly. I also expect Diggs and Lockett to get cut or restructure.

Some other guys will really depend on how Macdonald sees them. Jones and Reed in particular I could see us moving on from if Macdonald doesn't see them as fitting what he is trying to do.

But the truth is that all of these cuts are going to come with a lot of cap hits for this year. Just replacing those guys will be a priority.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this more or less. I fully expect the obvious guys(Adams, Dissly, Money) to get cut pretty quickly. I also expect Diggs and Lockett to get cut or restructure.

Some other guys will really depend on how Macdonald sees them. Jones and Reed in particular I could see us moving on from if Macdonald doesn't see them as fitting what he is trying to do.

But the truth is that all of these cuts are going to come with a lot of cap hits for this year. Just replacing those guys will be a priority.
7 draft picks and the lower rounds are long shots, so realistically some of said cuts probably stick, maybe with some changes in their contracts.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 draft picks and the lower rounds are long shots, so realistically some of said cuts probably stick, maybe with some changes in their contracts.

Well we need to cut some players no matter how you slice it. Cutting the first 5 will produce somewhere between 36 million and 56 million in cap space depending on when they get cut(pre or post June 1st)

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see us sign Queen. But we need to free up a lot of cap to even think about doing this.

I wouldn't be cheap but I think his position would be worth the money because how the middle linebacker position effects the game.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take a shot with 4 options for the draft

A. Trade back for more picks
B. Draft Edge rusher
C. If edge rusher FO liked is off the board than OT
D. I don't think it'll happen but trade up and draft a QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting idea. Eagles trade 22 and their 2nd for the Seahawks 16 and one of their 3rds. With 22 they take Penix.

IMO, that's trying to thread the needle a bit much. If they really think that Penix is the guy they want then they should just take him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting idea. Eagles trade 22 and their 2nd for the Seahawks 16 and one of their 3rds. With 22 they take Penix.

IMO, that's trying to thread the needle a bit much. If they really think that Penix is the guy they want then they should just take him.
It would be sort of nerve wrecking if Penix was who they wanted.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be sort of nerve wrecking if Penix was who they wanted.

Agreed. While that would be brilliant maneuvering it just seems way too cute if QB was their target.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Cooper or Colson as an ILB but both will probably be 2nd rounders and we don't have one. If Colson is there with our first 3rd I think you pull the trigger.

This is probably the draft to get a QB, McCarthy (I know everyone is high on him) and Penix are your options at #16 IMO - I think Nix will go to Denver... if both are there at #16 I think you have to absolutely trade down as I think both will be there late 1st for the 5th year option.

Big needs are:
Center/Guard
ILB
FS
NT/DL (assuming MacDonald will go with a 3-4 like he did in Balti - we have some talent here, just guys couldn't stay healthy) - this depends what we do with Williams as NTs can be found in later rounds and we wont be doing that stupid 2-4-5 shit non-stop and actually making adjustments/schemes with MacDonald.

And then gotta think about wtf you're doing with Geno beyond 2024.... if the plan is to potentially keep him, extend him now while he's cheap(er) - coming off a season he met none of his bonuses and got banged up for a few games. If your plan is to move on, you have to draft a QB this year because next year's class is fairly abysmal if I recall correctly.