• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks from #3 to #8 or so seem to be more valuable in this Draft than they would be in other Drafts. From #10 downwards the value probably returns close to normal. I don't see both the Vikings 1st round picks being enough to trade into the top 4, if that's what they're looking to do. It's probably going to take an additional 2025 2nd, (and maybe a bit more). Both 1sts might get the Vikings to #6 if their desired player is still there. They still might have to sweeten that deal with a couple of 4th or 5th round picks.
The latest trade chart indicates Vikings 2 firsts are more then enough for the #3 and down and who else can even match those 2 firsts much less beat it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest trade chart indicates Vikings 2 firsts are more then enough for the #3 and down and who else can even match those 2 firsts much less beat it.
Going by Draft Tek's chart, which is my preferred version, being you can plug various teams name to see their pick #s highlighted, the Vikings would fall a bit short, points-wise, so they might have to throw in one of their two 4th rounders or perhaps a 3rd round from '25, something along those lines. But that aside, yeah, they're in a good position to move up.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going by Draft Tek's chart, which is my preferred version, being you can plug various teams name to see their pick #s highlighted, the Vikings would fall a bit short, points-wise, so they might have to throw in one of their two 4th rounders or perhaps a 3rd round from '25, something along those lines. But that aside, yeah, they're in a good position to move up.
Draft Tek uses the Rich Hill trade chart which is considered the most modern and accurate, here it is:

1713295017856.png

Note Viking firsts are worth 603 and Patriots pick #3 is worth 514, so Pats would need to add a bit in theory. Why would Vikings offer more, when no other team can match those two firsts? They would be bidding against themselves.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Tek uses the Rich Hill trade chart which is considered the most modern and accurate, here it is:

View attachment 359756

Note Viking firsts are worth 603 and Patriots pick #3 is worth 514, so Pats would need to add a bit. Why would Vikings offer more, when no other team can match those two firsts? They would be bidding against themselves.

Hmm fair. I guess the Skins really did have to give up 3 1st round picks and change to move up 4 spots (6 to 2). Future 1st rounders are valued so much less (basically a 2nd and a 3rd rounder in the current draft given they were 2 and 3 years out).

Didn't realize in that chart at least 1 and 2 are so much more valuable than 3 (where 3 and after all scale down minimally).

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not disputing the charts or their usefulness. However, they are generic. In some years some of the top picks are more valuable than in some other years either due to being better prospects or the prospects being in higher value positions. I'm merely suggesting that this year the top prospects seem to be of better quality and/or are in premium positions. Thus they have higher than normal values. The #3 pick in 2013 was cheap. The #6 pick in 2024 will probably be expensive.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not disputing the charts or their usefulness. However, they are generic. In some years some of the top picks are more valuable than in some other years either due to being better prospects or the prospects being in higher value positions. I'm merely suggesting that this year the top prospects seem to be of better quality and/or are in premium positions. Thus they have higher than normal values. The #3 pick in 2013 was cheap. The #6 pick in 2024 will probably be expensive.
I agree that this years top picks are better then the run of the mill but I also think this years top 20 is better then the run of the mill. Ultimately the value is whatever someone is willing to pay. Vikings and Cards are the only team with multiple firsts and the Cards are not bidding against the Vikings. Vikings have the option of waiting until pick 11 for a QB if the asking price for a top 5 pick is to high and if I was the Vikings the 2 firsts would be as high as I'd be willing to go, but any thing is possible.

Last edited:

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Vikings should just wait until pick 11, why trade up when it’s likely that Williams/Daniels/Maye will go 1-2-3 and i don’t see any other team taking a QB until the Vikings pick. So why trade up when the same guys will still be available at #11? Doesn’t make sense

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 12 is better than normal. After that I think it flattens out to be a somewhat regular draft. There is a consensus top QB, a consensus top 3 WR, a consensus top TE, and I think the top 3-4 OTs are probably very desirable. I'm not sure there are any 'chase' defensive prospects, though.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Vikings should just wait until pick 11, why trade up when it’s likely that Williams/Daniels/Maye will go 1-2-3 and i don’t see any other team taking a QB until the Vikings pick. So why trade up when the same guys will still be available at #11? Doesn’t make sense
If no one is trading up for your QB at 11, don't take a QB at 11 because he sucks.

"I don't have to trade up for Patrick Mahomes" - Sean Payton, probably

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mostly everyone agrees. What's baffling though is why they acquired another 1st to begin with. That said, Minny moved up 20 spots and didn't even have to return a 1st (just a 2025 2nd which is basically a 2024 3rd) so maybe Minny did it because Houston was stupid to begin with and lost the trade value lol.

On why they got another first... I guess I'll speculate that outside of QB the Vikes need help at CB and IDL/3-4 End (decent the first) and IOL (outstanding) in this draft. So even if they don't snag a QB the two firsts they now have can certainly fill out their roster for a QB of the future.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine if you want BPA. If you want a specific player at a specific position and other players/positions are of significantly less value to you then you should either move up to get your player or prepare to move down if he's not available to where you will get value. Expecting the #4 QB in this Draft to be available at #11 is optimistic. It might happen, but it's optimistic. 5 QBs could go in the top 10.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine if you want BPA. If you want a specific player at a specific position and other players/positions are of significantly less value to you then you should either move up to get your player or prepare to move down if he's not available to where you will get value. Expecting the #4 QB in this Draft to be available at #11 is optimistic. It might happen, but it's optimistic. 5 QBs could go in the top 10.

Yah if they really love McCarthy (or whoever is at 3) then you make the move... if I was a Vikings fan I could stomach moving to 3 for Maye more than moving to 4 or 5 for McCarthy who IMO would be a reach at 11 let alone the first round.

If he somehow fell to 16 and Seattle drafted him I'd be PISSED. If he falls to the 3rd, sure.. I'd take a flyer.

Last edited:

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not that optimistic IMO, I’m certain Penix/Daniels/Maye will go 1-2-3, but after that the only teams I see taking a QB in the first round are the Vikings and Broncos - possibly the Raiders, and the Vikings pick ahead of both the Broncos and Raiders. I don’t see the Cards, Chargers, Giants, Titans, Falcons, Bears at #9, or Jets taking a QB - the only one remotely possibly taking a QB in that group is the Giants. So if I were the Vikings I would wait until #11, and I might not even take a QB there, I don’t know if McCarthy/Penix/Nix are worth that high of a pick.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not that optimistic IMO, I’m certain Penix/Daniels/Maye will go 1-2-3, but after that the only teams I see taking a QB in the first round are the Vikings and Broncos - possibly the Raiders, and the Vikings pick ahead of both the Broncos and Raiders. I don’t see the Cards, Chargers, Giants, Titans, Falcons, Bears at #9, or Jets taking a QB - the only one remotely possibly taking a QB in that group is the Giants. So if I were the Vikings I would wait until #11, and I might not even take a QB there, I don’t know if McCarthy/Penix/Nix are worth that high of a pick.

I know you meant Williams in your first sentence... but either way I agree with the rest of your post. I would possibly put Penix in the 1st but the injury concerns really hurt him. That said, he still has the purest arm in this draft and actually a LOT of speed (it was never utilized at UW because first off he had the best WR core in football and second - the obvious injury issue), but yah...

It's just amazing to me after one Championship game Penix dropped to 2nd round status and McCarthy soared to a top 10 pick lol. I get McCarthy is attractive because he's 21... but is that it? I guess if he's drafted to basically be Wilson 2.0 with an elite run game and defense fine... but even Wilson had far better ability (scrambling and arm strength) than McCarthy. Wilson just never got much attention because of his height, school, and non-Harbaugh hype. And I almost guarantee Harbaugh is hyping the F out of McCarthy so the Vikes trade to #4 and then Harbaugh lands the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson.

I get if he goes to the Vikes he'll have one of the best receivers in the game, but he's not going to have that great D and run game he did in Michigan. I think he'll get destroyed if the plan is to start him week 1 (which would be the plan).

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you meant Williams in your first sentence... but either way I agree with the rest of your post. I would possibly put Penix in the 1st but the injury concerns really hurt him. That said, he still has the purest arm in this draft and actually a LOT of speed (it was never utilized at UW because first off he had the best WR core in football and second - the obvious injury issue), but yah...

It's just amazing to me after one Championship game Penix dropped to 2nd round status and McCarthy soared to a top 10 pick lol. I get McCarthy is attractive because he's 21... but is that it? I guess if he's drafted to basically be Wilson 2.0 with an elite run game and defense fine... but even Wilson had far better ability (scrambling and arm strength) than McCarthy. Wilson just never got much attention because of his height, school, and non-Harbaugh hype. And I almost guarantee Harbaugh is hyping the F out of McCarthy so the Vikes trade to #4 and then Harbaugh lands the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson.

I get if he goes to the Vikes he'll have one of the best receivers in the game, but he's not going to have that great D and run game he did in Michigan. I think he'll get destroyed if the plan is to start him week 1 (which would be the plan).

Yeah I obviously meant Caleb Williams at 1. I agree that it’s amazing the hype McCarthy is getting, he never impressed me in college, he was just a game manager QB and I agree that he’ll struggle in Minnesota or wherever he goes if he starts right away. I don’t know why teams think McCarthy is better than Penix, Penix is better IMO.
The Vikings would be really stupid to trade up to #4, because I don’t see any of the teams from #4 until the Vikings pick at #11 selecting a QB. So it would be a boneheaded move by the Vikings to trade up.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 359756

Note Viking firsts are worth 603 and Patriots pick #3 is worth 514, so Pats would need to add a bit in theory. Why would Vikings offer more, when no other team can match those two firsts? They would be bidding against themselves.
Fascinating. Whenever I bring up DT's chart, it's the exact same layout as above, but it's showing the old Jimmy Johnson formula, ie, the 1st pick is worth 3000, 2nd worth 2600 and so on. Thanks for this updated version - fewer points to mess with.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Giants could pull the trigger on McCarthy. But the fear of that is not worth totally mortgaging the future to get ahead of them.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants could pull the trigger on McCarthy. But the fear of that is not worth totally mortgaging the future to get ahead of them.

And the Giants could. I mean they're stuck with Jones this year but next year they can get out of it... and McCarthy would DEFINITELY benefit riding the pine for a year. A lot of people thought he should go back to school to develop his game. He probably could've been the #1 overall next year, but given where everyone is prospecting him (as a top 5-10 or near 10) might as well cash in now. Also, with Harbaugh leaving God only knows how good Michigan will be next year.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Giants could. I mean they're stuck with Jones this year but next year they can get out of it... and McCarthy would DEFINITELY benefit riding the pine for a year. A lot of people thought he should go back to school to develop his game. He probably could've been the #1 overall next year, but given where everyone is prospecting him (as a top 5-10 or near 10) might as well cash in now. Also, with Harbaugh leaving God only knows how good Michigan will be next year.
I could definitely see the Giants drafting McCarthy or even the Jets considering it and having him sit and learn for a year. Both teams really need to look at 2025 and beyond because they really have nothing right now in the QB room for the future. Of course, both those franchises are poorly ran so they may go something totally different. The Giants do need a lot on the offensive side as well. Arguably the worst WR room in the league right now or at least, in the conversation.