• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,646.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right that the chances are slim for the Raiders to work a deal for Daniels, but he is meeting with them.

Granted, so are five other teams.
Oh I have heard this before. Just doing their due diligence since he played at ASU when Pierce was there.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I have heard this before. Just doing their due diligence since he played at ASU when Pierce was there.
Of course their only shot at landing him, and this is assuming they're interested, is to offer one helluva package. Do you or your fellow Raider diehards think he'd be worth it? If your GM is hellbent on taking a QB, but don't want to give away the store in doing so, you can obviously sit back and wait for one of the other talented QBs to fall in your lap. Personally, I think Penix is a potential steal. His injury history is what keeps him from being included in the elite QB status, because it sure isn't due to a lack of talent.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,646.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course their only shot at landing him, and this is assuming they're interested, is to offer one helluva package. Do you or your fellow Raider diehards think he'd be worth it? If your GM is hellbent on taking a QB, but don't want to give away the store in doing so, you can obviously sit back and wait for one of the other talented QBs to fall in your lap. Personally, I think Penix is a potential steal. His injury history is what keeps him from being included in the elite QB status, because it sure isn't due to a lack of talent.
Do not know many diehard's that would want him. Heck, I would not want to give up a lot, LOL.

They were talking about Penix in the mock draft I am in. I think he COULD be the best signal caller. The injury issues are def the main concern of scouts.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not know many diehard's that would want him. Heck, I would not want to give up a lot, LOL.

They were talking about Penix in the mock draft I am in. I think he COULD be the best signal caller. The injury issues are def the main concern of scouts.
There are a lot of NFL minds out there who think Penix is simply injury history removed from being considered one of the top, if not outright top QB in this draft. Many say he has the purest arm out of them all. I'm a fan of his, but of course like so many others, I understand the concerns about his past hurts.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,646.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of NFL minds out there who think Penix is simply injury history removed from being considered one of the top, if not outright top QB in this draft. Many say he has the purest arm out of them all. I'm a fan of his, but of course like so many others, I understand the concerns about his past hurts.
Yeah.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spot on. He indeed has the best pure arm in this class and MAYBE outside of Maye/Williams, I wouldn't call it remotely close (meaning they are closer to Penix, but still not the SAME level). Velocity, strength, and accuracy - Penix is top in each category or at least tied with the others in one or two. He's also VERY FAST. UW never ran him much because of injuries and they didn't need to, but running can definitely be a part of his game. Course I can't imagine any team will want him scrambling because of his injuries and because his arm is so good... either way, teach him to slide early.

But yah, his footwork/vision are not GREAT by any stretch and his injury history is a major concern. If he gets a bit of good coaching and can sit a year though and finds the Holy Grail equivalent of NFL injury luck, I see him as the best QB in this class. That's a LOT of and very big ifs though.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a Raiders fan I'd be perfectly fine rolling the dice on Penix at their pick, I would not want to pay the price it would take to move into the top 3-4.

I'm a Vikings fan and I'd be alright with taking Penix instead of trading 3 1sts for McCarthy or especially not Maye.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Vikings fan and I'd be alright with taking Penix instead of trading 3 1sts for McCarthy or especially not Maye.

The Maye hate is getting a bit silly IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if he was O'Connell's guy.

I agree about 3 1sts though. If the two this year aren't enough, there's no way I would give another unless it was for Caleb. I would give the 2 for Maye, but would really have to think about it for JJ.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Maye hate is getting a bit silly IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if he was O'Connell's guy.

I agree about 3 1sts though. If the two this year aren't enough, there's no way I would give another unless it was for Caleb. I would give the 2 for Maye, but would really have to think about it for JJ.

By all accounts locally, you're absolutely right, he is O'Connell's guy. And that scares the hell out of me. I've never liked him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By all accounts locally, you're absolutely right, he is O'Connell's guy. And that scares the hell out of me. I've never liked him.

I don't know that he's a guy that you want to throw right into the mix, but the upside is there IMO.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trading away next year's 1st along with both 1st rounders they already have in this draft for Maye or JJ would be one of the biggest mistakes in Viking draft history. And that is already a long and colorful list.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading away next year's 1st along with both 1st rounders they already have in this draft for Maye or JJ would be one of the biggest mistakes in Viking draft history. And that is already a long and colorful list.

Well, they kind of dealt their hand acquiring the extra 1st rounder in this draft. I don't understand the trade up for McCarthy (if that's the plan) AT ALL. I get McCarthy comes from a pro style offense, but he needs at least a year to sit and the Vikings are looking for an immediate starter. It's really amusing to me how one Championship game all the sudden shot McCarthy into basically being a lock in the 2nd round to a top 5 pick and shot Penix from being a lock in the teens (possibly top 10) to a 2nd rounder lol.... ridiculous to say the least, but whatever. Then of course Penix shattered everyone at the combine and now he's back in the 1st... these analysts are a bunch of morons.

That said, I think the Pats will just take a QB. Their OL is DECENT. Their WRs and TEs (Henry is old) suck but it's a deep WR class... so they can work to fix that in the early 2nd.

In any event, I would have to imagine the Vikings are making a move. The Skins gave up 3 1st rounders and a 2nd or something for RG3 and that was to move up FOUR spots. I would assume the Vikes will have to give up both firsts, 2025 1st to move into the top 5 if that's their goal. Arizona may just take Harrison Jr. anyway... I can see Harbaugh moving down... he knows the value of doing so. Arizona is an inept organization.

If that is for #3 to get Maye... EH... I think Maye has a good potential to be an all pro QB. He didn't play with any elite WRs (whereas Daniels did) and is better under pressure than Daniels/Williams and has an arm that can make all the throws. I believe also has the quickest release as well. If they give up 3 1sts for Maye... I'd give it a C+ or so. If they give up 3 1sts to move to #4 and take McCarthy, F all day.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they kind of dealt their hand acquiring the extra 1st rounder in this draft. I don't understand the trade up for McCarthy (if that's the plan) AT ALL. I get McCarthy comes from a pro style offense, but he needs at least a year to sit and the Vikings are looking for an immediate starter. It's really amusing to me how one Championship game all the sudden shot McCarthy into basically being a lock in the 2nd round to a top 5 pick and shot Penix from being a lock in the teens (possibly top 10) to a 2nd rounder lol.... ridiculous to say the least, but whatever. Then of course Penix shattered everyone at the combine and now he's back in the 1st... these analysts are a bunch of morons.

That said, I think the Pats will just take a QB. Their OL is DECENT. Their WRs and TEs (Henry is old) suck but it's a deep WR class... so they can work to fix that in the early 2nd.

In any event, I would have to imagine the Vikings are making a move. The Skins gave up 3 1st rounders and a 2nd or something for RG3 and that was to move up FOUR spots. I would assume the Vikes will have to give up both firsts, 2025 1st to move into the top 5 if that's their goal. Arizona may just take Harrison Jr. anyway... I can see Harbaugh moving down... he knows the value of doing so. Arizona is an inept organization.

If that is for #3 to get Maye... EH... I think Maye has a good potential to be an all pro QB. He didn't play with any elite WRs (whereas Daniels did) and is better under pressure than Daniels/Williams and has an arm that can make all the throws. I believe also has the quickest release as well. If they give up 3 1sts for Maye... I'd give it a C+ or so. If they give up 3 1sts to move to #4 and take McCarthy, F all day.

I don't see where anyone has the leverage to demand 3 1sts to trade up for JJ. Who else is going to trade up other than the Vikes? I don't see the Giants going QB this year, but I suppose it's possible. Denver has very little draft capital to move up unless they want to mortgage the farm with future 1sts. I don't think the Raiders are looking to make that big of a move either.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see where anyone has the leverage to demand 3 1sts to trade up for JJ. Who else is going to trade up other than the Vikes? I don't see the Giants going QB this year, but I suppose it's possible. Denver has very little draft capital to move up unless they want to mortgage the farm with future 1sts. I don't think the Raiders are looking to make that big of a move either.
Who knows shopson... hence my pre-draft F grade if they do it lol.

And I know there's someone somewhere that will be like, "You'll change your tune if he becomes a Hall of Famer." No SHIT. I'm sure all of us 'would've changed our tune' if we bought 10K shares of Amazon stock in the 90s.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You look at "chart" value on any of the charts and you will see that to get to #5 overall from #11 shouldnt even be talking about giving up next year's 1st rounder. #11 and #23 are MORE than enough.

The difference between the #5 overall pick and taking the 4th QB off the board and going up to the #2 spot and taking the 2nd QB are two WILDLY different things.

IMO the Vikes got the #23 just in case Washington wants to trade out. Only if we move up to the #2 spot for the Vikes should they even entertain the idea of parting with yet another pick from next year's draft. And even then I am not crazy about the idea.

It's this exact silliness as to why I figured the Vikes would do the un-creative thing and just resign Cousins. The simple fact is that money is the easiest thing to find in the NFL when assembling a roster. What is hard to find is young controllable talent because for that you need a stash of draft picks to do. And here we are going the other way on that dept.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks from #3 to #8 or so seem to be more valuable in this Draft than they would be in other Drafts. From #10 downwards the value probably returns close to normal. I don't see both the Vikings 1st round picks being enough to trade into the top 4, if that's what they're looking to do. It's probably going to take an additional 2025 2nd, (and maybe a bit more). Both 1sts might get the Vikings to #6 if their desired player is still there. They still might have to sweeten that deal with a couple of 4th or 5th round picks.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You look at "chart" value on any of the charts and you will see that to get to #5 overall from #11 shouldnt even be talking about giving up next year's 1st rounder. #11 and #23 are MORE than enough.

The difference between the #5 overall pick and taking the 4th QB off the board and going up to the #2 spot and taking the 2nd QB are two WILDLY different things.

IMO the Vikes got the #23 just in case Washington wants to trade out. Only if we move up to the #2 spot for the Vikes should they even entertain the idea of parting with yet another pick from next year's draft. And even then I am not crazy about the idea.

It's this exact silliness as to why I figured the Vikes would do the un-creative thing and just resign Cousins. The simple fact is that money is the easiest thing to find in the NFL when assembling a roster. What is hard to find is young controllable talent because for that you need a stash of draft picks to do. And here we are going the other way on that dept.

When I said 3 firsts I was moreso meaning to move from #11 to #3 (although I did say top 5, so I get why you replied). And a 2025 first is the equivalent of a 2024 2nd which is quite a bit less. Also, that trade value chart is fairly archaic, I don't consider it the bible. There will be a number of teams looking to make a move to #3. My whole point has been if the Vikings trade both their 2024 first rounders for #4 or #5 to get MCCARTHY, F grade.

I agree from #11 to #5 to give up 3 first rounders would be ridiculous... but who knows. Depends if anyone else is interested moving up to #5 (if McCarthy is there and the top 3 QBs went 1, 2, 3...). I guess Raiders and Broncos would be the main competition. Vikings have two first rounders and being ahead of them gives them the ultimate bargain chip.