• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA offseason

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't read too much into it considering they haven't played one NBA game together.

Also, I wonder how Kyrie Irving is taking that.
No doubt he was trolling Kyrie

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and me both. lol

I think that, for the most part, the Kobe Kids have given up on that. But there are still a few around that think that way. Had a small debate about that with one the other day (you could tell he was a Kobe Kid because he was in his late 30's and wearing Kobe's Lower Merion high school jersey lol).

They're mostly ignored anymore because their argument basically boils down to..."Kobe has more rings" (which as always been a tiebreaker, not a main stat) and "Kobe had much more of a 'killer instinct' which was true at one point, but no longer really is (at least not since probably year 2 in Miami).
Honestly, I don't think LBJ every matches or passes Kobe's ring count. And, while LBJ has gotten better in terms of his killer instinct that still doesn't match Kobe's either.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What were his stats in the road games?
Stars arent limited to only playing well at home.
I think it's pretty clear Bos doesn't think Al is a star since they went after BOTH Hayward & Kyrie.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty clear Bos doesn't think Al is a star since they went after BOTH Hayward & Kyrie.

agreed. They will give Big Al another contract but it will be at a discount. Their star money is getting prepared for others.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't think LBJ every matches or passes Kobe's ring count. And, while LBJ has gotten better in terms of his killer instinct that still doesn't match Kobe's either.

I don't think he'll pass Kobe's ring count, but as long as he's on the Lakers, I hope he at least catches him.

To be fair to Lebron on killer instinct...Kobe's level probably qualifies as a mental illness. lol

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll pass Kobe's ring count, but as long as he's on the Lakers, I hope he at least catches him.

To be fair to Lebron on killer instinct...Kobe's level probably qualifies as a mental illness. lol
Just try to imagine what Kobe could have done if he had better talent the last few years and zero injuries

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay Thompson may now test free agency instead of signing a team-friendly extension, and it could make the Warriors' biggest problem worse

As Marcus Thompson reported, the Warriors had conversations with Klay about an extension starting at $23 million per year. That would come out to about a four-year, $92 million extension.

If Klay becomes a free agent, another team could offer him a deal worth as much as $139 million over four years. That would be a massive increase from the Warriors' proposed extension.

If Klay were to become a free agent, there would likely be teams willing to offer him that max deal (or somewhere close to it). That would force the Warriors to match or at least pay something close to another team's offer to keep Thompson.

The problem is the amount of money the Warriors are already paying for their roster. Stephen Curry is locked into a super-max deal that will pay him $166 million over the next four years. Draymond Green is owed $36 million over the next two seasons before his deal is up. Durant will have a $31 million player option next summer. Andre Iguodala is owed about $33 million over the next two seasons.

The roster is slated to become historically expensive, particularly because of the tax penalties.

Warriors GM Bob Myers explained to Tim Kawakami of The Athletichow the Warriors were hesitant to use their $5 million mid-level exception this offseason because adding $5 million in salary to the roster was really like adding $20 million because of taxes. They ended up using it on DeMarcus Cousins, with Myers arguing a player of Cousins' talent is worthwhile.

"We were reluctant to do the mid-level because of what it cost us," Myers told Kawakami. "You know this because you're pretty educated. But $5 million for us is, yes, the player gets $5 million, but it costs us $20 (million with luxury-tax penalties). So it's a $20 million acquisition for us, which, you don't do that lightly. I wouldn't try to spend $20 million of Joe's [Lacob] money without thinking it through, even though the player only makes a quarter of that."

If Klay Thompson were to turn down extensions to hit free agency, it suggests it's because he wants to make more than what the Warriors are offering. Thompson is set to make $18.9 million this season. If Thompson's next deal paid him, say, $7 million more per year to $26 million per year, it would add to an already hefty payroll for the Warriors, as Myers explained.