• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The offseason

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you guys think this team needs to do this offseason to make it to the Super Bowl next year? We have 18 free agents. Who do we re-sign and who do we let walk? We know there won't be any big named free agents signed and McCarthy has stated that Clay is moving back to OLB, how do we fill his hole at ILB?

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you guys think this team needs to do this offseason to make it to the Super Bowl next year?

Heal & stay reasonably healthy.

We have 18 free agents. Who do we re-sign and who do we let walk?
UFAs

Re-sign
Crosby
Guion
Neal
Raji

Walk

Jones
Hayward
Barclay
Meredith

Keep at similar cost or let walk

Perry
Starks
Tolzien
Richardson

Retire & take an alternate position with the organization
Kuhn

We know there won't be any big named free agents signed and McCarthy has stated that Clay is moving back to OLB, how do we fill his hole at ILB?

Barrington, Ryan, Palmer, Draft Pick.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only ILB worth a damn in that list is Ryan imo. Palmer is serviceable I guess but I'm not a fan of Barrington at all

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only ILB worth a damn in that list is Ryan imo. Palmer is serviceable I guess but I'm not a fan of Barrington at all

To be clear, I'm not saying it's what I want, it's what I think will happen. I'm not so sure any of those three are long-term solutions at this point.

Thompson has done a pretty good job of restocking the secondary through the draft. I think he's going to do some thorough homework on linebackers in this draft and end up drafting two or three of them.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resign one of Guion/Raji and Perry/Neal. I wouldnt mind having Hayward return based on his recent play but my guess is he gets us a comp pick by getting good money elsewhere. Also resign Crosby and Starks once he tests the market and sees that other teams wont pay him to be their #1.

Kuhn and Richardson likely retire. I think we let Tolzien walk and let Hundley take the backup spot. Also we likely let Jones walk regardless of Rodgers wanting to bring him back.

As for the draft, i would run to the podium in the first round if either Jaylon Smith or Johnathan Bullard are available.

LambeauRambo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan isn't fast enough to get outside in coverage when needed, inside LB is a need. The Pack needs help at TE and until that happens I don't see Kuhn going anywhere unless he wants to retire. Backups at tackle if not replacements, unfortunately Bulaga plays very good but is hurt a lot and time is catching up with him.

Mark87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With what we know right now, this next season, 2016, is probably the last year the window to get to a championship will be wide open. After that, I can easily see it narrowing. If Rodgers has more seasons like this one, I could even see it closing before he's done playing here.

Offense

QBs: Rodgers and Hundley are under contract. Tolzien is a FA, but my best guess is that he's back. I don't think anybody's gonna make a go at him. They have their TC QB lined up in Ryan Williams, who they signed to a futures deal. We won't see any new QBs in Green Bay this offeseason.

RB/FB: Kuhn, Starks, and Crockett are FAs, though Crockett is exclusive. That leaves Lacy and Rip as the only backfield players under contract. I would guess Crockett will be around for TC, and between Kuhn and Starks, my $$ would go towards Kuhn being the one who stays. Starks had problems holding onto the ball, and while he's been injury free for 2 whole seasons, I wouldn't trust that to hold out again. Crockett takes his place next season and the Packers draft a speed/third-down type back.

OL: Every starter comes back for one more season together. And this is the area which leads me most to believe that 2016 is the last shot for MM, Rodgers, and TT. Bakhtiari, Lang, and Sitton are Free Agents after next season, Linsley is a FA after 2017, Bulaga is locked up til 2020. The depth outside of Tretter is garbage (sorry Barclay, you're probably back, but we know your limitations (and Tretter is a FA in 2017 as well)). I don't think the Packers hold on to all three FA OLs after 2016, so drafting OL this year will be key. The offensive linemen taken this year have to have the ability to be good starters, in case we lose a guy up front. In my mind, the issues that exist on the o-line and d-line have to be of the utmost importance this offseason, because if you can't win at the line, you won't really win that many games.

WR: JJ is gone, thanks for the help, but it would border on lunacy to bring him back next season. Nelson and Montgomery will return from injury, Abbey and Janis have some game experience, and hopefully Adams is healthy and over whatever plagued him this season. The top five guys are here through 2018 (Abbrederis' contract info wasn't up on rotoworld), but I'd still like to see them go after a speedy receiver who can play on the outside.

TE: Backman, Henry, Perillo, and Richard Rodgers are all probably here at least through TC, which is a shame because this is the position in most need of an upgrade. Quarless is gone. He's a FA and I see no reason for TT to bring him back. If they can find the right kind of talent to bolster this roster spot, this and a speedy pass-catching RB are what will keep the window open on offense a little longer. Maybe we can trade Tretter, a pick, and Adams to NE for Gronk?

Defense

DL: Boyd, Daniels, Jones, Pennel, and Ringo are the only guys who we know right now will at least be here for TC next season. As a number one pick, Jones is a disappointment due to his draft position, but has flashed good talent, and did play fairly consistently this past season.
Guion and Raji are both free agents, but I think Guion is gone. Raji, keep him, keep him at the nose, but don't over pay him. He did ok up front this year, but I think it was the athleticism of Clay Matthews at the ILB spot that helped make the interior DL look good this year.

LB: Barrington comes back from injury and has one more year under contract. Bradford, Elliot, and Palmer will be here for TC. Matthews and Ryan are under contract through 2018. I would imagine we keep Peppers another season unless someone wants to make an offer for him, but I expect he'll become more situational next year. Thomas, Perry, Mulumba, and Neal are all Free Agents at the end of the league year. I think we need to keep one of Neal or Perry, and I'd lean towards Neal b/c he can play DL in a pinch.

It's very likely some sort of piping induced dream, but Von Miller, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson, Danny Trevathan, Bruce Irvin, and Mark Barron are all players that, if they hit free agency, I'd like knowing that TT was at least trying to make an offer.

CB: Goodson, Gunter, Randall, Rollins, and Shields are all back, and the two rookies played well, for rookies. If they can make the next step, we have a very good group of corners. If they come back and look like Casey Hayward (who is a free agent) then we'll be in a bit of trouble. I'd only keep Casey if he'll accept being paid like a slot corner. Otherwise, see ya.

S: Sean Richardson, I hope you're alright buddy. But he's gone. Hyde is here one more season, HHCD and Burnett are tied together until at least 2018, and Banjo is a exclusive FA. I think they'd like to find another body like Richardson, but I don't think they'll spend a draft pick here. Find a speedy UDFA and bring him in.

P: by all accounts, Masthay did what he was asked to do this year, and set a Packer record doing so. That leaves me not that impressed with the job done by the Zooker. That will be looked at during the offseason. Tim is under contract for one more year. His value as a holder will bring him back.

LS: Brett Goode is a free agent who tore his ACL in December, Rick Lovato apparently signed a 3 year deal. Looks like the transition is complete.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just did a four round mock and I was very happy with the outcome:
1 - Jonathan Bullard DE Florida
2 - Cody Whitehair OG Kansas State
3 - Scooby Wright ILB Arizona
4 - Eric Striker OLB Oklahoma

If I could sign up for this right now I would. Obviously things could change but I would really like this or something similar to this.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has a comment?

Mark87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting mock... here is one of mine:

Round 1
Jack Conklin, OT Michigan State
6'6" - 318 - rJr Can't keep going with the 2 OT we have. Conklin is well-built with excellent core strength, using his powerful upper body and center of gravity to be a mauler in the run game. He lines up with a firm anchor and rarely plays in reverse with quick eyes and smarts to pick up extra blockers. Very quick-minded and never takes a play off.

dfp1024conklin.jpg

Round 2 : TE Hunter Henry, Arkansas 6'5" 253
Henry had 51 receptions for 739 yards and three touchdowns in 2015. He did a nice job as a blocker and receiver for the Razorbacks, but they didn't use him enough in the passing attack. Henry has the quickness to get downfield with the athleticism to get open against safeties and linebackers. In the ground game, he was a steady blocker for Arkansas' potent rushing offense, I think he drops due to other position needs ahead of him.. nice get for GB.

Round 3 : Austin Johnson*, DT, Penn State 6'4 324

GB will need to add a NT off season I believe , Johnson produced a quality season for Penn State in 2015. He was a tough defender at the point of attack with 78 tackles, 15 tackles for a loss and 6.5 sacks. He had one sack as a sophomore and freshman. The jump was in part due to quarterbacks stepping up to avoid Carl Nassib. Johnson projects as a nose tackle for a 3-4 or 4-3 defense in the NFL.

Round 4 A: Blake Martinez, ILB, Stanford
6'2 252
GB needs to address ILB in this draft and does so here.
Martinez had an excellent senior year, making a lot of critical tackles for Stanford. He was the Cardinal's most steady defender. In 2015, Martinez totaled 141 tackles with 6.5 for a loss, 1.5 sacks, six passes broken up and one interception. He had 101 tackles as a junior.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqlKt9Z_Kr_C_VkA4-bo9NZgOiP3N4dH8hHywF2CPU_4-j2h5B.jpg

Round 4B:
Rashard Higgins*, WR, Colorado State 6'2 188

As above something that needs to be addressed.
Higgins totaled 75 catches 1,062 yards and eight touchdowns in 2015. He missed one game because of injuries, but his production was down a lot because of Jim McElwain's departure to Florida and Garrett Grayson's to the NFL. Higgins has good quickness, route-running and hands. He's a polished receiver.

Round 5. Taveze Calhoun, CB, Mississippi State
6'1 184
TT Loves to add DB and does so again. Calhoun had 39 tackles, two interceptions and eight passes broken up on the year at MSU.

Round 6. Kyler Fackrell, 3-4OLB, Utah State
6'5 245
In 2015, Fackrell had 82 tackles with 15 for a loss and four sacks. Needs a little work and time but a nice upside as a pass rusher.

Round 7. Tyler Marz, OT, Wisconsin
6'5 321
Poor man's Mark Tauscher ... add's depth to the OL group as well. Strictly a RT in the pro's but a upgrade in depth nonetheless.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henry is definitely going to be talked about for us. We just dont really take skill positions in the first round that often.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our team board is just very slow.

Mark87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will GB resign Peppers or does TT let him walk ?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green Bay should resign Crosby, give Jeff Janis more playing time at WR and McCarthy should do the play calling. Their defense is okay but they'll need to draft an ILB as the current group is subpar.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will GB resign Peppers or does TT let him walk ?

He is under contract this season for 10.5 mill. If we cut him we will have 2.5 mill in dead money but would save 8 mill. If we could count on Nick Perry staying healthy I bet TT would explore cutting him but since we cant I doubt he cut him. I fully expect Peppers to play one more year and then hang em up.

USS Shiloh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a hybrid TE like Finley was and ILB's. Get Matthews back on the outside.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly it appears the Pack will have 5 preseason games this coming season so more chances for players to get hurt:

Report: Packers, naturally, will play in annual HOF Game

Report: Packers, naturally, will play in annual HOF Game

Brett Favre is headed to Canton in August, and so are thousands of Packers fans.

So, it makes sense that the Packers will play in the Hall of Fame Game, the traditional start to the NFL’s preseason. Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported Saturday night that Pro Football Hall of Fame officials have expressed their desire to have the Packers as one of the two teams to play in the Hall of Fame Game.

An official announcement should be coming soon, McGinn reported.

Having Favre and Packer Nation in town is great motivation to make sure the Fawcett Stadium renovations going on will be finished in time for overflow crowds on the first weekend of August.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guion for 3 more years. Way overpaid for him imo