• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2024 free agents

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this could have been nested in our ongoing offseason thread, but I thought it would be nice to have a separate conversation focusing squarely on this year's free agents relative to our needs. And PFF is as good as any sports site out there when it comes to a ranked list to get the ball rolling:

The primary issue right off the bat is what actions will Poles take when it comes to chasing free agents. Little doubt he won't be as aggressive this year, if for no other reason than he has less cap space than last year. Right at the moment the Bears are ranked 7th in available space or somewhere around that spot, and at this point I believe it's in the neighborhood of $62 mil. Of course these numbers will change for all clubs when stuff like cuts and extensions start taking place.

Anyway, I see three primary positions of need: DE/Edge, Center, and Safety, preferrably free safety at that - I'm continuing with the assumption that Eddie Jackson won't be re-signed. Doesn't mean we don't have other positional wants, but right now those three should be our top requirements. How many, if any of such spots can be filled during the FA period remains to be seen.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this could have been nested in our ongoing offseason thread, but I thought it would be nice to have a separate conversation focusing squarely on this year's free agents relative to our needs. And PFF is as good as any sports site out there when it comes to a ranked list to get the ball rolling:

The primary issue right off the bat is what actions will Poles take when it comes to chasing free agents. Little doubt he won't be as aggressive this year, if for no other reason than he has less cap space than last year. Right at the moment the Bears are ranked 7th in available space or somewhere around that spot, and at this point I believe it's in the neighborhood of $62 mil. Of course these numbers will change for all clubs when stuff like cuts and extensions start taking place.

Anyway, I see three primary positions of need: DE/Edge, Center, and Safety, preferrably free safety at that - I'm continuing with the assumption that Eddie Jackson won't be re-signed. Doesn't mean we don't have other positional wants, but right now those three should be our top requirements. How many, if any of such spots can be filled during the FA period remains to be seen.
Oops, make that four positions of need: Add WR to the mix. Why I left this position out is puzzling, considering it's one of our top needs.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a suggestion from Bears Goggles for three possible FAs:

Summed up:

Andre James, C, Las Vegas Raiders: One of the two centers I've targeted for Poles to sign
Jonathan Greenard, DE, Houston Texans: His numbers blew up this year - 12.5 sacks, 52 tackles, 15 for loss, 22 QB hits
Curtis Samuel, WR, Washington Commanders: Not a big signing here, he'd be filling in the slot where the Bears wanted Scott to play

Not sure if Greenard can be tagged or if so, that the Texans will do so. I'm sure they're gonna try to re-sign him. I'd be thrilled if we could land James and him. I'm kinda meh/ok with Samuel, maybe a bit more so if the Bears plan to target a WR in the draft with one of their two 1sts.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curtis Samuel, WR, Washington Commanders: Not a big signing here, he'd be filling in the slot where the Bears wanted Scott to play
I may be on an island here but i dont feel WR is a pressing need.
Mooney is a 1K receiver who was not thrown to enough. I like Scott.
Whoever our QB is, we need to give him time to throw or design passing plays that play to his strengths.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be on an island here but i dont feel WR is a pressing need.
Mooney is a 1K receiver who was not thrown to enough. I like Scott.
Whoever our QB is, we need to give him time to throw or design passing plays that play to his strengths.
If, and that's a huge IF Mooney stays with the Bears, then I agree WR doesn't become quite the pressing issue as it otherwise currently stands. But do you think he'll re-sign with the Bears, and that's assuming Poles even tenders him a contract? The only scenario I see where both sides come to a mutual agreement is if he agrees to a one year 'prove it' deal. This might not be too farfetched being there will likely be few, if any, big money/multi-year offers coming his way. Other than that, I see him as an ex-Bear in the coming months.

I like Scott, but he definitely underwhelmed in his rookie year. His reputation for being a solid route runner, but with hands of stone, unfortunately came somewhat to fruition. He should get more playing time this year and maybe it's all he'll need to show he belongs. But after that, who....Jones? St. Brown? Take away Moore and suddenly the Bears have an NFL bottom 3 set of receivers. WR should be a pressing need this offseason, and make that double if Mooney leaves.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you think he'll re-sign with the Bears
Thats a good question.
Poles has indicated in the past they want to reward "home grown" talent.
I'm sure some team will throw a truckload of money at him.
Does Mooney chase the paycheck? Or if KC or Buffalo make offers, does he go to a playoff team?
Or does he see the Bears trending in a direction where he'd offer a "home grown" discount?
We shall see.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anothert Packers castoff?

Actually, this wouldn't be a bad choice if Poles is serious about inking Dillon. The man is still young, he'll be playing in his age 26 season next Fall. Dude is built like a tank and seems more FB than HB. He'd be good for moving the chains when it's 3rd or 4th and short. Plus he should come relatively cheap, something along the lines of a one or two year max contract in the $3-4mil per year range.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, make that four positions of need: Add WR to the mix. Why I left this position out is puzzling, considering it's one of our top needs.
According to this rag, the Bears have five positions of need:

Altho for #5, this is really more of which direction the Bears go with the QB position. Obviously if they ditch Fields, the QB role far and away becomes the #1 need, and without a doubt the position would be a lock for the first pick in the draft.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure it this will have any legs or if it's just wishful thinking on the writer's part:

While Evans has officially joined the wrong side of 30 club, the man remains incredibly productive. And we need production. As in big time. Take this little ditty from the article:

The other wide receiver corps --- Darnell Mooney, Equanimeous St. Brown, Tyler Scott, etc. --- weren't effective. Need proof? Rookie wide receiver Roschon Johnson was the team's fourth-leading receiver with 209 yards. The Bears need more in this area.

Our 3rd string RB was 4th in receiving yardage. Yeah, pretty sure we need help.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure it this will have any legs or if it's just wishful thinking on the writer's part:

While Evans has officially joined the wrong side of 30 club, the man remains incredibly productive. And we need production. As in big time. Take this little ditty from the article:

The other wide receiver corps --- Darnell Mooney, Equanimeous St. Brown, Tyler Scott, etc. --- weren't effective. Need proof? Rookie wide receiver Roschon Johnson was the team's fourth-leading receiver with 209 yards. The Bears need more in this area.

Our 3rd string RB was 4th in receiving yardage. Yeah, pretty sure we need help.

Altho some say wr is not a glaring need,I do.........I think there are 3 big needs and wr is one.

Id have to say no to Mike Evans,who would we over pay ( hi dollar) for an over 30 wr??

He would be a short term answer for an already playoff team needing a wr,such as Dallas if they could swing it.

Heck if we are going wr,lets get a draftee to pair with JF or whoever it is....
They would be young to grow with the team and cost a helluva lot less than Eans.....thats a big no to me.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Altho some say wr is not a glaring need,I do.........I think there are 3 big needs and wr is one.

Id have to say no to Mike Evans,who would we over pay ( hi dollar) for an over 30 wr??

He would be a short term answer for an already playoff team needing a wr,such as Dallas if they could swing it.

Heck if we are going wr,lets get a draftee to pair with JF or whoever it is....
They would be young to grow with the team and cost a helluva lot less than Eans.....thats a big no to me.
Good stuff. I'm certainly not hellbent on going after Evans, altho I do admire his accomplishments, and I think he has at least several more years of high productivity remaining. But still, he's gonna command a lot of $$$ and as you suggest, he might be a better fit for a team who's already playoff bound and can take that extra step by acquiring him. All I know is we need help at the WR position and it becomes even more important if Mooney's not on the roster this year, which I strongly suspect he won't be.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re not signing Mike Evans. He is a baller though.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how true this is,but:

If true,such a promising career turned to shit

Just glad we didnt get him......:peace:
I specifically recall a number of folks over on the main board and even a couple here on our board thinking we got fleeced when trading our 2nd round for Sweat, while it was SF who fleeced the Commanders by acquiring the younger Chase for a 3rd round. I sure hope Poles doesn't bite and sign this guy. There's a number of DE/Edge free agents out there this offseason, Poles won't be restricted to just Young as a choice.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can pick up a decent WR, DE, and a C in FA, then Poles will have a lot of freedom to draft the players he wants where he wants. For example, if he gets Tyler Boyd, he won’t be desperate for okunze to drop to him at 9.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can pick up a decent WR, DE, and a C in FA, then Poles will have a lot of freedom to draft the players he wants where he wants. For example, if he gets Tyler Boyd, he won’t be desperate for okunze to drop to him at 9.
That's precisely why the the free agent period of this offseason is as important or maybe more important than any other time in recent years. These three positions you've mentioned happen to be three obtainable positions in free agency. Maybe not top of the line FAs, but if we can fill in some spaces here with quality players, it will give Poles a ton of flexibility come draft day.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A funnny take by Bart Scott blasting on Chase Young's play with SF(they showed highlites of Chase vs Detroit in the Championship game on how bad he was getting beat by being lazy):

"Sometimes he plays like Tarzan,and then he turns around and plays like Jane".
"That was disrespectful to the game of football"( he was not hustling)

Mike Singletary says

"Iwould rather go out there with 10 players than play with a dude like that"

So glad we didnt trade for him and NO to him in freeagency.......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article where that always ubiquitous 'NFL Insider' names three good FA fits for the Bears, altho one of them almost doesn't count:

Of course the one that shouldn't count is Jaylon Johnson, being he's already a Bear. I'm pretty sure close to 100% of Bears fans want to see him inked to an extension, and it's 100% certain that at the very least he'll be tagged.

Not sure why Connor Williams name keeps popping up with the Bears. Yeah, we need a center big time, but it's not even a given that due to the torn ACL he suffered in December, he'll be ready to go when the '24 season commences. Too risky. In the meantime, there are a number of available centers who more than fit the bill for us. Tyler Biadasz, Andre James, LLoyd Cushenberry, and Aaron Brewer immediately come to mind.

Finally, last but best: Jonathan Greenard. Wouldn't surprise me if the Texans tag this guy, but if they don't. Poles would be wise to pursue him. Just entering his age 27 season, he exploded this past year with some solid numbers, including 12.5 sacks and an overall PFF grade of 78.2. If there's a downside, he does tend to miss games due to injury, never having finished a full season, altho this past year he was in 15 out of 17. Let's hope this 'insider' is on to something.