• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL really needs to fix the officiating issues

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I saw 6 flags on 6 consecutive plays Sunday...

Can't remember the game but remember thinking.... Tom Brady would have turned this game off by now... LOL

I think throwing a flag is kinda cool for them

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said for a while the problem is they're hiring lawyers to make the rules and lawyers to officiate. So they look at everything from a lawyer point of view. They write the rules as specifically as they can and then address any possible loopholes.

That's why you hear discussions like "Well, did he complete the process of the catch?" Or "But did he maintain possession throughout?" Or "Did he complete a football move?" My personal least favorite thing to hear every week "Remember the ball can touch the ground as long as the receiver has established possession and the ball doesn't move."

We've become completely inured to just how inane these sentences are and how our game has been taken away from us. Ask a 5 year old if somebody made a catch or not. They won't mention the process or maintaining possession throughout. There will be no mention of a football move. But I bet their calls will be a lot less controversial. Even more so if you use actual adults and teach them out of bounds and endzone rules and stuff. Don't give them the process definition or anything stupid like that, just the actual rules as intended and I bet they would have a higher rate of getting those calls right.

Bring common sense back to the game and make calls by the intent of the rule not the letter of the law.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't remember the game but remember thinking.... Tom Brady would have turned this game off by now... LOL
I think the JAgs/Saints game had that

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs had seahawks that game
You’re giving the refs too much credit in that one. Those were the replacement refs. They were hired from High School leagues (mind boggling) and lower level college divisions. They went from reffing 17 year old kids to the best athletes in the world and predictably screwed it up. That game actually ended the ref holdout.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re giving the refs too much credit in that one. Those were the replacement refs. They were hired from High School leagues (mind boggling) and lower level college divisions. They went from reffing 17 year old kids to the best athletes in the world and predictably screwed it up. That game actually ended the ref holdout.

I mean, I can even see that was a pick and I'm not a ref

Reactions: GNG

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pass interference challenge system hasn't worked either though. Obvious calls that needed to be changed were upheld. It's as if they're instructed to keep the call as is unless it's embarrassingly wrong (but even those aren't getting overturned, at least in terms of PI).

I think that was what's his names point about it being a league/rule issue instead of officials. Now with the ability to challenge PI Refs are keeping their flags in their pockets(welp, it can be challenging so why bother throwing it?)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we could back to when the refs were good and didn't make mistakes. I think it was sometime in the 19th century when Rutgers was playing Princeton.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was what's his names point about it being a league/rule issue instead of officials. Now with the ability to challenge PI Refs are keeping their flags in their pockets(welp, it can be challenging so why bother throwing it?)

Tell that to the refs in the Cowboys Jets game

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought it was 7 consecutive plays. But also pretty sure it was more flags in those consecutive plays, because I also think they had multiple flags on one or two of those plays.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we could back to when the refs were good and didn't make mistakes. I think it was sometime in the 19th century when Rutgers was playing Princeton.
but that was back when they were Gentlemen :)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PI challenging is the most BS this season. Look for the competition committee to address in the offseason.

Yep.

It was a trial fix...the refs clearly were not okay with having more of their work put under additional review and have used this "tough standard" to not overturn anything essentially just wasting time...it won't be back.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

It was a trial fix...the refs clearly were not okay with having more of their work put under additional review and have used this "tough standard" to not overturn anything essentially just wasting time...it won't be back.

I think they will just tweak it in the offseason so that the refs will be more comfortable with it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will just tweak it in the offseason so that the refs will be more comfortable with it.

Possibly...but it can't come back in the same fashion.

The coaches are totally in a clouded funk, most are just challenging for the sake of it...a hope and a prayer.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

I suspect there will be considerable pressure from teams in the offseason to lower the bar for what constitutes PI on replay.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect there will be considerable pressure from teams in the offseason to lower the bar for what constitutes PI on replay.

That needs to happen if they’re going to keep it.

It’s becoming a joke and it’s not just PI.

Ex...in the ATL @ AZ game, there was a clear fumble, and a recovery by the DEF. They called it down live...challenge, replay showed a clear fumble. No reversal...even the official review TV people thought it was a fumble.

They come back sometime later after play has resumed and said there was another camera angle that showed his butt cheek might have been on the ground and it was enough to leave the call on the field.

Okay...but they NEVER showed that camera angle to the public...that was piss poor.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That needs to happen if they’re going to keep it.

It’s becoming a joke and it’s not just PI.

Ex...in the ATL @ AZ game, there was a clear fumble, and a recovery by the DEF. They called it down live...challenge, replay showed a clear fumble. No reversal...even the official review TV people thought it was a fumble.

They come back sometime later after play has resumed and said there was another camera angle that showed his butt cheek might have been on the ground and it was enough to leave the call on the field.

Okay...but they NEVER showed that camera angle to the public...that was piss poor.

That sounds like a broadcasting problem, not a replay review problem.