• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFL really needs to fix the officiating issues

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Booger is not a good commentator but at least he's giving the officials some shit.

Booger is a quick observer and good commentator, describing exactly what happened, how and who did it.
He even points out good plays by offensive linemen more than I've heard described by other commentators.

But, Booger is no Romo in terms of predicting the action based on offensive and defensive formations.

Besides that, there's only one way you get the nickname Booger.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When are people going to realize it's not the refs, it's the rules. Seems each year they add new rules, written intentionally vague with the sole intent of forcing the refs to make discretionary calls. Rewrite the book, be specific, take out discretionary calls that just places refs in can't win situations.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has a fan whining problem is what it has.

There are always going to be a ton of mistakes in officiating. Always has, always will. Thinking they can find a system that fixes it is foolish. Just live with the mistakes. The alternative is games will take 1 hour longer to play because the officials will have to go through every play 4 times on replay to determine if it is allowed to stand (and even then there will be plenty of fans unhappy because they will still disagree with the calls).

The NFL changing/emphasizing their rules so much in the last 10 years is what has lead us to this point. Had they just left well enough alone NFL fans would still be used to the idea that officiating is imperfect and you just have to deal with those imperfections.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the officials are doing it intentionally to grow public sentiment in support of full time officials so that the NFL has to make them full time. There’s no other explanation. The officials have never been this bad.

They went full time a couple of years ago.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has a fan whining problem is what it has.

There are always going to be a ton of mistakes in officiating. Always has, always will. Thinking they can find a system that fixes it is foolish. Just live with the mistakes. The alternative is games will take 1 hour longer to play because the officials will have to go through every play 4 times on replay to determine if it is allowed to stand (and even then there will be plenty of fans unhappy because they will still disagree with the calls).

The NFL changing/emphasizing their rules so much in the last 10 years is what has lead us to this point. Had they just left well enough alone NFL fans would still be used to the idea that officiating is imperfect and you just have to deal with those imperfections.

That's just it, 10 years ago fans could live with it, with all these rules changing and the refs and players not knowing the rules...the flags are at an all-time level and it really isn't close. Not only do they miss those 50/50 calls but they miss blantant calls relying on instant replay as a crutch, like other have said. The NFL is broken more than ever and almost unwatchable. Bad calls happen in every sport but when you combine that with them missing easy calls...there is seriously a big problem with this sport.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just this game. I watched 2 games on Sunday and because it wasn't the Packers the officiating and game stoppage for bullshit made them borderline unwatchable. I've watched football since the early 70's and I don't ever recall being this disappointed that I can't watch the game because of all the bullshit calls and stoppage for replay and just the overall fuckery of the NFL and their idea of cleaning up the game.
AMEN!!!

CruiseControl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two non illegal use of hands to face calls on Detroit were suspicious as hell... two blatantly bad calls on a penalty that cant be challenged? That probably changed the game? I typically dont get too emotional about bad calls, but if I were a Detroit fan I would be livid.

Let them challenge anything they want to, two red flags a game, if you win the call you dont lose a flag. If you lose the call you lose the flag. Problem solved... but they wont so this for some strange reason. I cant even explain the current system where you lose a red flag if you are correct and it's a bad call... why is a team punished for getting it right?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just this game. I watched 2 games on Sunday and because it wasn't the Packers the officiating and game stoppage for bullshit made them borderline unwatchable. I've watched football since the early 70's and I don't ever recall being this disappointed that I can't watch the game because of all the bullshit calls and stoppage for replay and just the overall fuckery of the NFL and their idea of cleaning up the game.

Fair, but the 70s didn't have HD cameras that can zoom right up a players ass, 489 angles on the replay, and announcers swaying public opinion like that penis face Gruden on the 'fail mary' that was 100% legit (outside of offensive PI, but should've been roughing the passer regardless).

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am done watching. It is too messed up if not borderline corrupt. I wont even watch the Pats win another Superbowl.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two non illegal use of hands to face calls on Detroit were suspicious as hell... two blatantly bad calls on a penalty that cant be challenged? That probably changed the game? I typically dont get too emotional about bad calls, but if I were a Detroit fan I would be livid.

Let them challenge anything they want to, two red flags a game, if you win the call you dont lose a flag. If you lose the call you lose the flag. Problem solved... but they wont so this for some strange reason. I cant even explain the current system where you lose a red flag if you are correct and it's a bad call... why is a team punished for getting it right?

The pass interference challenge system hasn't worked either though. Obvious calls that needed to be changed were upheld. It's as if they're instructed to keep the call as is unless it's embarrassingly wrong (but even those aren't getting overturned, at least in terms of PI).

CruiseControl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pass interference challenge system hasn't worked either though. Obvious calls that needed to be changed were upheld. It's as if they're instructed to keep the call as is unless it's embarrassingly wrong (but even those aren't getting overturned, at least in terms of PI).

I haven't seen too many OBVIOUS calls not get reversed. I guarantee both those illegal hands to the face calls on detroit would have been overturned last night if that was reviewable, which it should be.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The hands to the face will get most of the press but the officials were bad all game. I think it’s getting worse leaguewide too
The officiating has been bad and continues to get worse. Goodell just sits on his ass and ignores it.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst call in NFL history...

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am done watching. It is too messed up if not borderline corrupt. I wont even watch the Pats win another Superbowl.

Never give up. I don't think the NFL is corrupt, I just think there is a psychological element to it. Refs are human, and it looks funny when a historical loser like Detroit is competing against a historical winner like GB. A ref is predisposed to look at Detroit's play with more scrutiny...

Because of this the Lions do have to "play better" than Green Bay...

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I saw 6 flags on 6 consecutive plays Sunday...

Can't remember the game but remember thinking.... Tom Brady would have turned this game off by now... LOL

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same conversation we've been having for decades