• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tank for Jones / 2013 Draft Thread

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Espn gave the Flyers an A-. Mainly based on first two picks. If those two make it who even cares about the rest!

A-? I don't know if I'd give it an A-.. I thought the top 2 picks were decent. Our 2nd was outstanding. I think Morin will turn out good for us years to come. As long as the Flyers org learn the word patience.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he got drafted by a team that has a nice defense on our team he steps right in.

Possibly, but I don't think he would've. I would've been mad if the Flyers rushed him.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd give the flyers a C tops.. 1st pick is OK, 2nd pick is amazing, 3rd is complete trash, after that you're in crap shoot territory so it really doesn't matter.

i think nashville will let him play his 9 games for sure, then they'll have to decide whether or not to send him back to portland (juniors) or have him play 3rd pair in nashville and burn a year of his ELC.. i tend to think another year in juniors would be more beneficial than playing 3rd pair minutes, plus then you save a year on the contract.. but who knows what they'll do

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd give the flyers a C tops.. 1st pick is OK, 2nd pick is amazing, 3rd is complete trash, after that you're in crap shoot territory so it really doesn't matter.

i think nashville will let him play his 9 games for sure, then they'll have to decide whether or not to send him back to portland (juniors) or have him play 3rd pair in nashville and burn a year of his ELC.. i tend to think another year in juniors would be more beneficial than playing 3rd pair minutes, plus then you save a year on the contract.. but who knows what they'll do

:agree:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think a Cs a little harsh Awaz after all they selected two 1st rounders which is huge. The rest of the draft is a bonus. If Morin resembles chara in any way I'm stoked. Apparently the kids a good skater for a big guy that's usually the issue. 3rd round hard to say even if he ends up being a solid role player I'm cool with that. Time will tell.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we'd taken Jordan Subban with that pick instead of Goony McFightsalot, I'd give us an A-. Dunno about Goulbourne; maybe the scouts have seen stuff I haven't. And even if they have, he's not likely going anywhere and you can pick him in round four. Or five.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a Cs a little harsh Awaz after all they selected two 1st rounders which is huge. The rest of the draft is a bonus. If Morin resembles chara in any way I'm stoked. Apparently the kids a good skater for a big guy that's usually the issue. 3rd round hard to say even if he ends up being a solid role player I'm cool with that. Time will tell.

they did end up w/ two 1st rounders essentially.. but i'm just not a big fan of the morin pick.. i really wanted pulock or morrissey there.. think about the guys that are the most valuable players in the league right now.. it's young, offensive minded, dmen, and it's something the flyers have none of.. hopefully gostisbehere gets there, but he's still pretty tough to project

big, tough, defensive minded d-men are a dime-a-dozen these days.. they're just not that valuable compared to OFD's and when you're picking between 3 guys that should all go somewhere in that range, picking the DFD is just not smart IMO

love the Hagg pick though. and on the 3rd rounder, Vadered hits the nail on the head.

If we'd taken Jordan Subban with that pick instead of Goony McFightsalot, I'd give us an A-. Dunno about Goulbourne; maybe the scouts have seen stuff I haven't. And even if they have, he's not likely going anywhere and you can pick him in round four. Or five.

my biggest problem w/ the 3rd rounder is that his ceiling is a rinaldo type player. so if he pans out, they get another rinaldo. in the 3rd round, you can do better than that. hell, you could've gotten the next PK Subban. obviously he was pumping his little bro's tires a little but in their post draft interview, PK said Jordan was the best of the bunch. for someone as cocky as PK to say that, he's gotta be at least pretty good.. not taking a chance on a guy like that so that you can get a guy who MIGHT be another zac rinaldo is just stupid.. you don't get a 0 grade on that, you get negative points.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my biggest problem w/ the 3rd rounder is that his ceiling is a rinaldo type player. so if he pans out, they get another rinaldo. in the 3rd round, you can do better than that. hell, you could've gotten the next PK Subban. obviously he was pumping his little bro's tires a little but in their post draft interview, PK said Jordan was the best of the bunch. for someone as cocky as PK to say that, he's gotta be at least pretty good.. not taking a chance on a guy like that so that you can get a guy who MIGHT be another zac rinaldo is just stupid.. you don't get a 0 grade on that, you get negative points.

My theory is that they just saw the guy's name and this happened:

"Goulbourne? Born to score goals?!?!!? MUST DRAFT HIM NOW! Also, silly Canadian scouts can't spell."

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no justifying our 3rd rounder. We could had Lodge, Saros, or Subban. I'm disappointed, but whatever.

I don't think we should even begin to limit Morin's game. He is a defensive defenseman, but Niklas Grossmann he is not. Morin is already a great skater for his 6'6 frame, and that will only improve. He apparently already has a great hockey IQ, and as we know by know he is one nasty motherfucker.

We are not going to ruin Morin's potential like the Leafs did to Schenn. Luke was rushed, and as a result he never seasoned his offensive game. Morin is going back to Rimouski to let his offensive game and puckhandling skills develop. Patience will be key, but I'm really feeling that Morin will be a gem. I've also seen online today that apparently he stated yesterday he wants to play around 240 lbs during his career. Holy shit, if we have smooth skating, nasty, point producing 6'6 240 defenseman then we won this draft. Obviously, many things need to go right for that to happen, though.

And for Hagg, just watch his World Junior highlight video. He is just so basic and simple, and I mean that in a great way. He himself said last night that consistency was his issue. Hopefully that comes with age while he plays at MODO.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i mean my issue with the goulburne pick is that they could have gotten him in the 5th round.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean my issue with the goulburne pick is that they could have gotten him in the 5th round.

My issue is that we already have him on the roster ...... his name is Rinaldo. No need for two of that player.

It was a completely moronic pick.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My issue is that we already have him on the roster ...... his name is Rinaldo. No need for two of that player.

It was a completely moronic pick.

ha yeah or that fun fact :agree:

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st 2 picks were great picks. Morin could be a Pronger/Chara type D-man.
3rd pick is questionable but the Flyers have done pretty well drafting as a team. Lets face it 3rd rounders are a coin flip to be NHLers anyways so maybe they seen something in this guy. He fits the Flyers makeup to a tee.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st 2 picks were great picks. Morin could be a Pronger/Chara type D-man.
3rd pick is questionable but the Flyers have done pretty well drafting as a team. Lets face it 3rd rounders are a coin flip to be NHLers anyways so maybe they seen something in this guy. He fits the Flyers makeup to a tee.

That's the way I see it too although I understand where the rest of the guys are coming from. You just don't know how these young guys will shape up even 2nd Rd can be dicey.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fuck.

Last edited by a moderator:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great so nOw we have a full roster of fighters. Emery will be the icing on the cake. LOl

Edit: never mind. Emery is resigning w the Hawks. So it's possible that a 39 yr old Thomas may come in? :L