• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What would you give up for Chris Jones?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jones is a really good player, but he's looking for Donald money, and he's not Donald.

He's had very good sack numbers, but before last years 15.5, his totals were 9, 7.5, and 9. Very good. But not 31+M a year good.

You have to go back to 2016 to find a year where Donald didn't have double digit sacks...excluding last year's injury season that saw him play in only 11 games.

If I'm KC, I see if there's a trade partner and wish him well if there is a trade to be had. If not....I let him sit, and he can come back whenever, but if he doesn't come back and play like gangbusters, he'll be entering the 30's with 4 of his last 5 years under double digit sacks (and yes, if he plays only 9 games, that would come into play - but if he gets only 3 or 4 sacks...it wouldn't bode well, IMO).
In 2018 he also had 15.5 sacks....

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about a trade of Taylor for Jones straight up?
Imo, Taylor wouldn't be a good fit in KC anyway and that trade would be severely lopsided. A DT like Jones is far more valuable than any RB, even as good as Taylor is. I know the money difference is also pretty big but it doesn't make up the difference. The Colts would have to throw in a draft pick and even a 2nd rounder looks like a top 40 pick right now.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the performance or value of the player, it's the value of the contract. Any team trading for Jones has to be willing to pay him close to $30M. At that price a healthy and motivated Jones is probably worth a mid-high 2nd round pick.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2018 he also had 15.5 sacks....
He did....and those are his ONLY 2 years with double digit sacks.

I understand while he was still very good and disruptive, he went for 7, 9, 7. And also got a big raise in 2020 despite not matching those sack numbers again. I also understand that there's more to it than sack numbers...

However, if you are going to ask for Aaron Donald Money, or just under it...you should be producing closer to Aaron Donald impact, especially in the sack department. Since Jones' 1st season of 15.5 sacks, Donald has had double digit sacks in every year except last year due to injury and appearing in only 11 games. Jones went 3 years in between before notching double digit sacks.

Again - I'm not saying he's not good, or that he's not worth some type of raise...but if you are going to put your name in the discussion with the top DT in the game, you better check off all the boxes, and to me that means not going 3-4 years between double digit sacks and then asking for 30+M a year.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did....and those are his ONLY 2 years with double digit sacks.

I understand while he was still very good and disruptive, he went for 7, 9, 7. And also got a big raise in 2020 despite not matching those sack numbers again. I also understand that there's more to it than sack numbers...

However, if you are going to ask for Aaron Donald Money, or just under it...you should be producing closer to Aaron Donald impact, especially in the sack department. Since Jones' 1st season of 15.5 sacks, Donald has had double digit sacks in every year except last year due to injury and appearing in only 11 games. Jones went 3 years in between before notching double digit sacks.

Again - I'm not saying he's not good, or that he's not worth some type of raise...but if you are going to put your name in the discussion with the top DT in the game, you better check off all the boxes, and to me that means not going 3-4 years between double digit sacks and then asking for 30+M a year.
Frank Clark is in Denver now so he probably due for another one.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And sacks aren't the only stat you need from a DL...pressures and hurries are also important.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone sees him as Aaron Donald but Chris Jones is in that top 5 conversation probably for the next couple of years. Even in the playoffs you don't actually see production from Chris Jones because generally the Chiefs secondary sucks and teams can consistently get out the ball.

The Chiefs, however, are relying on Chris Jones. Charles Omenihu got suspended for the first 6 games and the Chiefs got rid of Frank Clark and Carlos Dunlap from last year. The D line will likely be the weakest unit on the team in those first 6 weeks. Its been pretty routine for the Chiefs to have one of the worst defenses in the league at the start of the year and then something closer to the middle of the pack but the end, though.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone sees him as Aaron Donald but Chris Jones is in that top 5 conversation probably for the next couple of years. Even in the playoffs you don't actually see production from Chris Jones because generally the Chiefs secondary sucks and teams can consistently get out the ball.

The Chiefs, however, are relying on Chris Jones. Charles Omenihu got suspended for the first 6 games and the Chiefs got rid of Frank Clark and Carlos Dunlap from last year. The D line will likely be the weakest unit on the team in those first 6 weeks. Its been pretty routine for the Chiefs to have one of the worst defenses in the league at the start of the year and then something closer to the middle of the pack but the end, though.
Yep.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I agree. That Dline could be a problem until they sort everything out. Jones needs to be playing. Personally, I think this gets done within the first couple weeks, not 8. Just a hunch, mind you. The Chiefs might have to win a couple of shoot-outs in the meantime like they did most of 2018.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who has that money
Chicago. Still have money sitting and have the highest projected cap space again next season but do have 3-4 players to pay in the off season next.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago. Still have money sitting and have the highest projected cap space again next season but do have 3-4 players to pay in the off season next.
Interesting spot for him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got every penny out of that 4 year, 20M contract and he should get a bump as he's currently 8th among DTs at $20M per. $24.5M would put him 2nd. Can the Chiefs find another $4-5M in their cap to give him that extension, and would that be enough for him?