• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What would you give up for Chris Jones?

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that although he's under contract he's holding out for more money and the Chiefs seem to be a bit casual about his demands.

My personal feeling is thank god for trades because it gives the Chiefs an opportunity to load up on talent for another super bowl run.

For Chris Jones, he can go to another team for a bigger payday and watch the playoffs at home like Tyreek with his piles of money. Some players seem to prefer hosting a nice super bowl party instead of playing in it and I can see both sides of the argument.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jones is a really good player, but he's looking for Donald money, and he's not Donald.

He's had very good sack numbers, but before last years 15.5, his totals were 9, 7.5, and 9. Very good. But not 31+M a year good.

You have to go back to 2016 to find a year where Donald didn't have double digit sacks...excluding last year's injury season that saw him play in only 11 games.

If I'm KC, I see if there's a trade partner and wish him well if there is a trade to be had. If not....I let him sit, and he can come back whenever, but if he doesn't come back and play like gangbusters, he'll be entering the 30's with 4 of his last 5 years under double digit sacks (and yes, if he plays only 9 games, that would come into play - but if he gets only 3 or 4 sacks...it wouldn't bode well, IMO).

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is just so dominant. Single handedly beat the Cowboys when they played in 2021. It would be a huge trade. Would knock the Chiefs out of the favorite spot for the SB IMO (assuming no huge talent comes back to them and it's more for draft picks). Put him on any team in the top 5 and they become the favorite. Put him one of the next group of teams and they are solidly in the mix.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that although he's under contract he's holding out for more money and the Chiefs seem to be a bit casual about his demands.

My personal feeling is thank god for trades because it gives the Chiefs an opportunity to load up on talent for another super bowl run.

For Chris Jones, he can go to another team for a bigger payday and watch the playoffs at home like Tyreek with his piles of money. Some players seem to prefer hosting a nice super bowl party instead of playing in it and I can see both sides of the argument.
Chris Jones contract was front-loaded. He needs to play it out or sign an extension.
If the Chiefs feel they cannot afford to extend him, his options are limited.
If I were GM, I would not be held hostage.
But there are always teams like the Dolphins who renegotiate a 4 year contract every year!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is just so dominant. Single handedly beat the Cowboys when they played in 2021. It would be a huge trade. Would knock the Chiefs out of the favorite spot for the SB IMO (assuming no huge talent comes back to them and it's more for draft picks). Put him on any team in the top 5 and they become the favorite. Put him one of the next group of teams and they are solidly in the mix.
Its honestly one of those things where if Chris Jones says he isnt going to play until week 8, the Chiefs suck it up and wait until week 8. Maybe that means wild card instead of 1 seed or whatever but the Chiefs can't get rid of him for a future draft pick. The Super Bowl window is Mahomes+Reid+Kelce+Chris Jones. When the Chiefs got rid of Tyreek Hill it was at a time when teams basically just took away Hill and Kelce and that was there whole strategy and it kinda worked. Chris Jones is different. If you have no holes on your oline then you can take him away. If you have a hole, Chris Jones can take over a game. Everyone has a hole on their oline by the time the playoffs come around.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about a trade of Taylor for Jones straight up?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, Tyreek was IN the playoffs last year. He didn't watch from home. Hell, I can't believe the Phins even made a game of it without Tua.

Other than that, I don't think Jones really wants to play anywhere else. This is just his way of avoiding training camp while trying for more money. He's not gonna get Donald money, but he can certainly make more than the rest of the DTs.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the huge contract he is going to want?

wwe-la-knight.gif

He is a Game Changer when he is on his game

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn’t he on the last year of his deal? I don’t blame the guy. Tomorrow is never promised. When you have the leverage of being one of the preeminent DTs in the league you never should have to take the risk of playing on the last year of your deal.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he asking for Donald money? He says he will get DPOY this year so that attitude makes me think he wants close to top DT money. I think plenty of teams would want him and can pay him, that isn’t the issue imo. What else are you giving up? Surely not a 1st but are you giving up a 2nd rounder and paying him $25M+ a year. You better be in a Rams situation a couple years ago. He better be the final piece to a team that will compete for a championship.

I don’t see KC trading him

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its honestly one of those things where if Chris Jones says he isnt going to play until week 8, the Chiefs suck it up and wait until week 8. Maybe that means wild card instead of 1 seed or whatever but the Chiefs can't get rid of him for a future draft pick. The Super Bowl window is Mahomes+Reid+Kelce+Chris Jones. When the Chiefs got rid of Tyreek Hill it was at a time when teams basically just took away Hill and Kelce and that was there whole strategy and it kinda worked. Chris Jones is different. If you have no holes on your oline then you can take him away. If you have a hole, Chris Jones can take over a game. Everyone has a hole on their oline by the time the playoffs come around.
I agree. The versatility is what makes him unique. This year's AFC-C game was really won on defensive stops in the 4th quarter. The Chiefs made one more and it was mostly due to Chris Jones wrecking the passing game. I won't go say the Chiefs don't win that game without him (can't prove that kind of point anyway), but I will say he was the most impactful player on that D and that D came up big. And as you point out, they moved him around the line probing for the weaknesses to exploit. Hard to change your gameplan on the fly to account for him.

To the bigger point.... I think the Chiefs need to sign him because their D would be suspect without him. They can keep building on that side through drafts, but with their window still being wide open why not give him a bunch of up front money and some voidable years to absorb the cap impact?