• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tank for Jones / 2013 Draft Thread

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SUCK FOR SETH!

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My signature

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is looking like a better option to me everyday. If the Pens can tank seasons for picks then so can we.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't come in last do you think who ever does would accept Cooter plus our upcoming first round pick (possibly another piece as well) for the first pick?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't come in last do you think who ever does would accept Cooter plus our upcoming first round pick (possibly another piece as well) for the first pick?

oh ya they'd accept it.. the flyers absolutely should not do that

that's essentially couturier to move up 5-6 spots in the draft

there's a good chance you can get a future all-star anywhere in the 1st round this year

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they want a player that turns the puck over everytime he touches it resulting in a goal then yes they will eaccept that trade. I loved his game last year and instead of blossoming he regressed badly.Maybe he is waiting for the coaching change to play better.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh ya they'd accept it.. the flyers absolutely should not do that

that's essentially couturier to move up 5-6 spots in the draft

there's a good chance you can get a future all-star anywhere in the 1st round this year

I'm not as hopeful as you based on the Flyers past with drafting dmen. This would be a Redskins 3 first rounders to RGIII kind of deal. Could be worth it though.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as hopeful as you based on the Flyers past with drafting dmen. This would be a Redskins 3 first rounders to RGIII kind of deal. Could be worth it though.

no.. i will riot if the flyers trade couturier to move up to the 1st pick.. that would be a horrible trade. couturier by himself might be worth the 1st pick. even that i wouldn't consider i dont think

and regardless of RGIII's skill/talent that's still an awful trade for the redskins IMO.. in the NFL it's basically guaranteed that 1st round picks will become starters for your team, and if you draft early, that they'll be superstars. when you need as much as the redskins do/did, you cant make that sacrifice

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no.. i will riot if the flyers trade couturier to move up to the 1st pick.. that would be a horrible trade. couturier by himself might be worth the 1st pick. even that i wouldn't consider i dont think

and regardless of RGIII's skill/talent that's still an awful trade for the redskins IMO.. in the NFL it's basically guaranteed that 1st round picks will become starters for your team, and if you draft early, that they'll be superstars. when you need as much as the redskins do/did, you cant make that sacrifice
Disagree. RGIII was a sure thing. QB's like that don't come a long like that very often. Washington basically went 20 years without a good QB. Just last year alone I think made that trade worth it. Plus, they're only going to get better.

So you wouldn't trade Coots for Seth Jones? Would you trade a Selke for a Norris?

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you wouldn't trade Coots for Jones who would you trade him for?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. RGIII was a sure thing. QB's like that don't come a long like that very often. Washington basically went 20 years without a good QB. Just last year alone I think made that trade worth it. Plus, they're only going to get better.

So you wouldn't trade Coots for Seth Jones? Would you trade a Selke for a Norris?

with the flyers history in drafting/developing dmen, hell no.

and while jones is projected to be the #1 pick, assuming he'll win a norris is going a little far IMO.. he might be good, he might be great.. same for couturier.. but trading a guy of couturier's value (continuously shuts down the 2nd best player int he world) for an 18 yr old defensemen who has never set foot on NHL is just a bad idea..

seth jones will not have a major impact on an NHL roster for at least another 2 years. just look at the history of dmen in this league.. the super hyped guys of the past 5-6 years

doughty (08)
pietrangelo (08)
*e. johnson (06)
hedman (09)
gudbranson (10)
oel (09)
bogosian (08)
L schenn (08)

who on that list is really making a massive difference on their team? pietrangelo is looking elite this season.. doughty is still trying to live up to it, although he is pretty good.. oel is looking pretty solid this season.. everyone else on that list is still trying to live up to their hype, and currently, doughty is the only one that has made an all-star game (i think)

i starred johnson because he was a sure-fire, cant miss, #1 dman, big, can skate, move the puck, and shoot. aka, he was seth jones 7 years ago. and what has he done?

drafting dmen is hard, and it takes time. if jones is available when the flyers draft, they should take him. but i don't think they should give up pieces to get him. adding another piece to the bare cupboard is critical, if you give up couturier to move up in the draft, you are net-even in terms of prospects, and the flyers cant afford to do that. IMO

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i would move him for one of the guys that has played 50-100 nhl games and has shown they can hack it, while still having room to grow in to a bonafide superstar on the back end (pietrangelo, shattenkirk, oel, and with the way subban has been playing this season, possibly him too, even though i hate him and until recently thought he was very overrated. he's been quite good this year)

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the flyers history in drafting/developing dmen, hell no.

and while jones is projected to be the #1 pick, assuming he'll win a norris is going a little far IMO.. he might be good, he might be great.. same for couturier.. but trading a guy of couturier's value (continuously shuts down the 2nd best player int he world) for an 18 yr old defensemen who has never set foot on NHL is just a bad idea..

seth jones will not have a major impact on an NHL roster for at least another 2 years. just look at the history of dmen in this league.. the super hyped guys of the past 5-6 years

doughty (08)
pietrangelo (08)
*e. johnson (06)
hedman (09)
gudbranson (10)
oel (09)
bogosian (08)
L schenn (08)

who on that list is really making a massive difference on their team? pietrangelo is looking elite this season.. doughty is still trying to live up to it, although he is pretty good.. oel is looking pretty solid this season.. everyone else on that list is still trying to live up to their hype, and currently, doughty is the only one that has made an all-star game (i think)

i starred johnson because he was a sure-fire, cant miss, #1 dman, big, can skate, move the puck, and shoot. aka, he was seth jones 7 years ago. and what has he done?

drafting dmen is hard, and it takes time. if jones is available when the flyers draft, they should take him. but i don't think they should give up pieces to get him. adding another piece to the bare cupboard is critical, if you give up couturier to move up in the draft, you are net-even in terms of prospects, and the flyers cant afford to do that. IMO

Ok, what you say makes sense. Who would you trade Coots for though? You say you wouldn't want to give up Coots for an unproven defensive prospect and I get that. However, I also think that teams with proven dmen (the ones we actually want) won't want to trade one of them for a still unproven Cooter.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would move him for one of the guys that has played 50-100 nhl games and has shown they can hack it, while still having room to grow in to a bonafide superstar on the back end (pietrangelo, shattenkirk, oel, and with the way subban has been playing this season, possibly him too, even though i hate him and until recently thought he was very overrated. he's been quite good this year)

I agree with you. That's who I would want in return as well. I just don't think most of those teams would trade one of those guys for Cooter. I could be wrong though.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, what you say makes sense. Who would you trade Coots for though? You say you wouldn't want to give up Coots for an unproven defensive prospect and I get that. However, I also think that teams with proven dmen (the ones we actually want) won't want to trade one of them for a still unproven Cooter.

ha, posted this one right after but it was the last post on the page so it might get missed :)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. That's who I would want in return as well. I just don't think most of those teams would trade one of those guys for Cooter. I could be wrong though.

i dont think they would either.. and if i were them i wouldnt, so i cant fault them for that

the flyers are where they knew they would be eventually.. they're very low on ammunition outside of the NHL, and they have a glaring need that they really can't fix without giving it time (and drafting a dman in the first round).. the only real option i see for trading couturier to fill the need is if you trade him to the blues, because they have at least 2 (shattenkirk, pietrangelo) but possibly 3 (cole) future #1 dmen. but i would think if they were gunna move one of them, they would want the potential for 40 goals from teh guy they get back

outside of that, the only thing they could do is move couturier for one of the guys listed, in hopes that they will live up to their expectations.. and that's even more risky than trading up in the draft IMO

just as a personal desire, i'd really like it if the flyers could get justin faulk from carolina.. he wouldn't be as expensive as these other guys we're throwing around.. but i've watched a few hurricanes games this year and the kid can play.. very fast, can move the puck, and isn't afraid to jump in to the play.. not sure what it would take to get him, or if the canes would even consider moving him, but he's my dark horse desire if you will