• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tank for Jones / 2013 Draft Thread

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooter for Quick since Bernier seems to be taking over in LA as the go to guy and quick's value is down right now you guys think we could pull this off?

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooter for Quick since Bernier seems to be taking over in LA as the go to guy and quick's value is down right now you guys think we could pull this off?

Never. lol

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, I'm a little worried about the Flyers future.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, I'm a little worried about the Flyers future.

i'm not super concerned, but they need to play differently. they can't play run and gun hockey, the only playoff caliber team they can beat playing this way is the pens (who do the exact same thing and will get demolished in the playoffs)

defensively, the d-men on this team don't suck. timonen, grossmann, and schenn are all very capable, coburn is capable when he's not trying to do too much, and mesz is a season and a half of injury plauged hockey past being the flyers best dman.. the 6th spot looks horrific, but it's extremely greedy to expect anything else

but, the dmen outside of timonen do not excel (read: they suck) in the following:

1. pinching
2. outlet passes
3. point shots

and right now, those are the 3 most important things to the entire team's success, not just the defenders. you cannot play an ultra-agressive system with defenders that suck at pinching and passing. you have to play conservative offensively, not pinch unless its a sure thing, and have forwards come deep in to the defensive zone to retrieve the puck so defenders aren't forced to skate it up themselves, or look for a stretch pass.. it might slow down the offensive, but right now the flyers dont have an offense outside of the PP (which has been phenominal) so you have to just play prevent at 5 on 5 and win the game on special teams.. which the flyers can do, because rinaldo draws like 4 penalties a game and the PP kicks ass

up front i think they could use a scorer, but i dont think they're hurting up front at all really. i think read should be with giroux and voracek right now though, at least while hartnell continues to struggle

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the kings might be the only team in the league that needs centers less than the flyers.. hell they put loktionov on waivers because they had such a log jam, and last night shows you how good he is (cant believe he slipped all the way to the devils, that was a massive oversight by a lot of people i think)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not super concerned, but they need to play differently. they can't play run and gun hockey, the only playoff caliber team they can beat playing this way is the pens (who do the exact same thing and will get demolished in the playoffs)

defensively, the d-men on this team don't suck. timonen, grossmann, and schenn are all very capable, coburn is capable when he's not trying to do too much, and mesz is a season and a half of injury plauged hockey past being the flyers best dman.. the 6th spot looks horrific, but it's extremely greedy to expect anything else

but, the dmen outside of timonen do not excel (read: they suck) in the following:

1. pinching
2. outlet passes
3. point shots

and right now, those are the 3 most important things to the entire team's success, not just the defenders. you cannot play an ultra-agressive system with defenders that suck at pinching and passing. you have to play conservative offensively, not pinch unless its a sure thing, and have forwards come deep in to the defensive zone to retrieve the puck so defenders aren't forced to skate it up themselves, or look for a stretch pass.. it might slow down the offensive, but right now the flyers dont have an offense outside of the PP (which has been phenominal) so you have to just play prevent at 5 on 5 and win the game on special teams.. which the flyers can do, because rinaldo draws like 4 penalties a game and the PP kicks ass

up front i think they could use a scorer, but i dont think they're hurting up front at all really. i think read should be with giroux and voracek right now though, at least while hartnell continues to struggle

Lavi is the one who is implementing the system so either he goes or we have the full year of the same thing. I dont understand why we played this run and gun last year and the year before and we were fine, had a lot of wins. What is the big difference this years as compared to the last two years.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavi is the one who is implementing the system so either he goes or we have the full year of the same thing. I dont understand why we played this run and gun last year and the year before and we were fine, had a lot of wins. What is the big difference this years as compared to the last two years.

Puck moving dmen like Pronger and Carle?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the roster has changed a lot over the last cuople years.. it doesn't really seem like it because we're so used to it.

but during the run to the cup, gagne, richards, carter, lappy, and powe were all very defensively responsible, and we had pronger and carle on the backend that could move the puck and pinch.. plus timonen was younger back then.. plus they were still transitioning from stevens' system which taught everyone to be very defensively responsible.. and briere was a functioning player in the regular season (53 pts)

next year, pretty much the same story.. except mesz was a monster (34 goals from briere)

difference from this year and last year i think is primarily that teams figured out that stacking the neutral zone beats the flyers.. when it's that plane and simple, it's easy to gameplan.. when the flyers come up on the schedule, you know to play some variation of trap and you'll have a good chance

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the roster has changed a lot over the last cuople years.. it doesn't really seem like it because we're so used to it.

but during the run to the cup, gagne, richards, carter, lappy, and powe were all very defensively responsible, and we had pronger and carle on the backend that could move the puck and pinch.. plus timonen was younger back then.. plus they were still transitioning from stevens' system which taught everyone to be very defensively responsible.. and briere was a functioning player in the regular season (53 pts)

next year, pretty much the same story.. except mesz was a monster (34 goals from briere)

difference from this year and last year i think is primarily that teams figured out that stacking the neutral zone beats the flyers.. when it's that plane and simple, it's easy to gameplan.. when the flyers come up on the schedule, you know to play some variation of trap and you'll have a good chance
This sounds good but another very good question is if you know this why doesnt Lavi and do something about it.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds good but another very good question is if you know this why doesnt Lavi and do something about it.

Not sure. He's either not capable of changing systems or just flat out stubborn.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. He's either not capable of changing systems or just flat out stubborn.

this i think.. and who can blame him really, he wont a cup playing like that, why should he change his style and risk looking ridiculous for his next job.. because it's not like he wont get re-hired

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this i think.. and who can blame him really, he wont a cup playing like that, why should he change his style and risk looking ridiculous for his next job.. because it's not like he wont get re-hired

True, but this could also why he doesn't last very long at any one place (including Carolina).

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AWAZ the other guys like 4706 and raptor dont post on the same shit evry day thread for some reason. Can you make a new thread where we can all post on that one or is it a waste of time.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but this could also why he doesn't last very long at any one place (including Carolina).

true, but nobody really lasts long in hockey. going off the top of my head here i think vigneault, julien, babcock, torts, trotz, and bylsma are the only coaches that have been w/ their current team longer than lavy.. and some of those are just a year or two (torts, bylsma) longer

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I personally like the run and gun style hockey and i think if we can fix a few things we can be good at it again. I love the 6-5 games we play vs Pitt. With all the goals fights checks it makes for exciting hockey if i wanted to watch boring hockey i would just turn on the rags channel.