• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stefon Diggs traded to the Texans

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mixon has been one of the least efficient starting RBs in the league the past few years and he's nearing the end. DIggs is waning a bit. Even Hunter is getting up there. Texans spending big on some older bandaids IMO.
Not bandaids so much as a turbo boost. Spending on skill positions for a stud QB on his rookie contract is smart.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bandaids so much as a turbo boost. Spending on skill positions for a stud QB on his rookie contract is smart.
Exactly, the Texans want to compete now for a title and they are making smart moves. And Diggs is still a top tier receiver, he had over 100 catches and over 1000 yards last season, and he’s had 6 straight 1000 yard seasons. Adding him makes the Texans offense, which was already very strong, arguably the most dangerous in the NFL. The Texans didn’t have to give up much to get him either.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, the Texans want to compete now for a title and they are making smart moves. And Diggs is still a top tier receiver, he had over 100 catches and over 1000 yards last season, and he’s had 6 straight 1000 yard seasons. Adding him makes the Texans offense, which was already very strong, arguably the most dangerous in the NFL. The Texans didn’t have to give up much to get him either.

He's going to want that extension soon, as well as a healthy percentage of the targets. I just think he could be a bit of an irritant rather quickly if he doesn't get his targets. Houston has a good thing going, not sure adding guys for the last few years of their careers is great value. They could very well prove me wrong though.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so... now Diggs is TO ?

settle down ladies.
TO played for the Bills for about 5 years, roughly the same amount of time that Diggs was here.

While he was far from perfect, based my recollection TO really didn't do much of anything "disruptive" while with the Bills.

Diggs, OTOH, made a habit of whining/complaining about something.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buffalo fleeced them

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TO played for the Bills for about 5 years, roughly the same amount of time that Diggs was here.

While he was far from perfect, based my recollection TO really didn't do much of anything "disruptive" while with the Bills.

Diggs, OTOH, made a habit of whining/complaining about something.
Terrell Owens

i know he played in Buffalo one year, but?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buffalo fleeced them

You pay $25M for a single season of what they are hoping is an elite playmaker and what they essentially are doing is trading a 2025 2nd rounder for what will likely be a 2026 3rd round comp pick.

I dont mind this actually.

As a Texan fan, I would have been more worried about spending too much to an aging player and having the final years come with disappointment followed by dead cap. Now they just get a single season of a very motivated playmaker and they really arent going to lose that much in terms of draft pick value.

The only thing that sucks about it is that the Texans have to KNOW they arent going to be players on the FA market next offseason in order to get that comp pick. Which of course isnt ideal to back yourself into a no sign corner like that. But they know their books better than I would.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so... now Diggs is TO ?

settle down ladies.

He is more Keyshawn Johnson. A talented malcontent that is going to end up playing for 5 or 6 teams and none of them will want anything to do with him after he retires.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my take on this is that its probably a win/win.

Josh Allen in a weird way probably compares more to Lamar Jackson moving forward than CJ Stroud. Average pocket QB, superstar QB outside the pocket. Bills are better off investing in the team as a whole. Not only that, but unloading a veteran in one of the deeper WR drafts probably eases things a bit.

Texans have cash to spend. They get to see what CJ Stroud looks like at max strength when everyone knows he is coming. Chiefs did the same thing with Mahomes as they went out and got Sammy Watkins. Was Watkins great? Not really. Did he help them win a Super Bowl? Yes. This is what you do when you get a franchise QB. You find out just how good he is.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diggs regressed hard last year(last season was his worst since 2019 by far and he caught 2x as many balls) so this could be a case where Buffalo got rid of him at the right time.

Still a Top 15 WR but no longer top 5.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pay $25M for a single season of what they are hoping is an elite playmaker and what they essentially are doing is trading a 2025 2nd rounder for what will likely be a 2026 3rd round comp pick.

As a Texan fan, I would have been more worried about spending too much to an aging player and having the final years come with disappointment followed by dead cap. Now they just get a single season of a very motivated playmaker and they really arent going to lose that much in terms of draft pick value.

The only thing that sucks about it is that the Texans have to KNOW they arent going to be players on the FA market next offseason in order to get that comp pick. Which of course isnt ideal to back yourself into a no sign corner like that. But they know their books better than I would.
I guess it is OK but Buffalo won this but it all comes down to hitting on the draft. This WR class might be one of the best ever…but that’s the risk. You have risk with a rookie but if you hit on him you get a stud for the next 4 years at least. I think Buffalo is doing the right thing here and they really had no leverage bc Diggs wanted out. That is the main point here why I think it is a win for Buffalo. I still like it for Houston, no doubt. Chargers got a 4th for Keenan, who didn’t have the top peak of Diggs but was overall more productive. For one year why not but Buffalo could get two stud WR’s in the first two rounds…just gotta hit on those picks. I just think getting a 2nd for a guy that wants out is a great return

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buffalo could get two stud WR’s in the first two rounds…just gotta hit on those picks.

They did in our mock lol. However, Bills might get aggressive and try to trade up into the Onunze range. I wouldn't put it past them.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how the Texans can "cancel" the last three years on Diggs' contract and apparently have no dead cap penalty. I get that Diggs would have had to agree but does he really think he'll be able to get a new contract that will beat what was in those 3 years.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Diggs would now qualify for the compensatory pick formula as per overthecap:

Prior to the 2020 CBA, players who have options declined by their former teams qualified for the compensatory formula, even though the team had a method to keep them under contract. For one example, see Donte Stallworth in 2009, who qualified in favor of New England despite having an option on his contract declined. However, the 2020 has closed the loophole. However, App. V, §8 now makes explicit that such players, as well as any player who does not complete the “Maximum Possible Term” of the contract will not be eligible to become CFAs. This similarly applies to any player whose contract was shortened via renegotiation.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Diggs would now qualify for the compensatory pick formula as per overthecap:

Prior to the 2020 CBA, players who have options declined by their former teams qualified for the compensatory formula, even though the team had a method to keep them under contract. For one example, see Donte Stallworth in 2009, who qualified in favor of New England despite having an option on his contract declined. However, the 2020 has closed the loophole. However, App. V, §8 now makes explicit that such players, as well as any player who does not complete the “Maximum Possible Term” of the contract will not be eligible to become CFAs. This similarly applies to any player whose contract was shortened via renegotiation.

The loophole is the void years. I would assume that is what Houston did.

If that didnt work and they arent going to get a comp pick, then giving up a 2nd round pick for a 1 year rental is pretty silly if that player isnt a QB.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how the Texans can "cancel" the last three years on Diggs' contract and apparently have no dead cap penalty. I get that Diggs would have had to agree but does he really think he'll be able to get a new contract that will beat what was in those 3 years.

Dead cap is for money already paid and/or guaranteed money. Diggs didnt have any guaranteed money still in his deal. And the money already paid in the form of a signing bonus is all on the Bills cap space and account for $31M.