• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson benched

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I care. The cool thing about us "nobodies" is we are generally unaware of our status.
You want to make a point. Theres a difference.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care Bears used to be a thing!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George has a huge collection of Cabbage Patch Dolls!
Ever see George try to talk a waitress into playing "Little Orphan Annie" to his Daddy Warbucks?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have intelligent Chiefs and Raiders fans coming in here nd they are always welcome. But I’d suggest that when you are a guest in someone’s house you learn the rules of the house.

No one here,frankly, cares a lick about your comments about our team.
Missed this.....

I love you man!!!!!

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ready for Russell Wilson in the silver and black, DJ?
We ain't trading for him.

Somewhere on here (and I was here looking for it) I saw that it's worse for you guys to trade him than outright releasing him....

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We ain't trading for him.

Somewhere on here (and I was here looking for it) I saw that it's worse for you guys to trade him than outright releasing him....

Any other time of the year, this wouldn't be worth posting, but the Broncos' season has been over for what seems like months already :

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler recently spoke with an NFL exec who named the Las Vegas Raiders as a logical suitor for Wilson. The executive cited the fact that the Raiders were one of the teams on Wilson’s wish list when Wilson asked the Seattle Seahawks to trade him.

“[The Raiders] need a vet, and they are one of Wilson’s original teams he wanted to go to,” the executive said. “He’d stay in the [AFC West], West Coast, and [Wilson’s wife] Ciara can do a [Las Vegas] residency [as a live performer].”

The Broncos would love to trade Wilson, but that would probably require some serious financial gymnastics. Wilson signed a 5-year, $242.6 million contract with Denver after the team acquired him prior to the 2022 season. He is guaranteed $39 million next season, and his $37 million salary for 2025 will also become fully guaranteed if he remains on Denver’s roster on March 17. Wilson carries salary cap hits of more than $50 million each season from 2025 through 2028.

If the Broncos cut Wilson, they will take an $85 million dead salary cap hit. They may be willing to do that just to reset at the quarterback position

One of the most sobering, groan inducting things I have red in a long time : "Russell Wilson is under contract with the Broncos to the 2029 season"

Nice goin' George Payton .. This lets John Elway off the hook for the worst QB maneuver ( Paxton Lynch ) in recent memory

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing a QB switch with the Raiders .. who knows .. I don't have a clue on this but that has been said a lot .

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any other time of the year, this wouldn't be worth posting, but the Broncos' season has been over for what seems like months already :

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler recently spoke with an NFL exec who named the Las Vegas Raiders as a logical suitor for Wilson. The executive cited the fact that the Raiders were one of the teams on Wilson’s wish list when Wilson asked the Seattle Seahawks to trade him.

“[The Raiders] need a vet, and they are one of Wilson’s original teams he wanted to go to,” the executive said. “He’d stay in the [AFC West], West Coast, and [Wilson’s wife] Ciara can do a [Las Vegas] residency [as a live performer].”

The Broncos would love to trade Wilson, but that would probably require some serious financial gymnastics. Wilson signed a 5-year, $242.6 million contract with Denver after the team acquired him prior to the 2022 season. He is guaranteed $39 million next season, and his $37 million salary for 2025 will also become fully guaranteed if he remains on Denver’s roster on March 17. Wilson carries salary cap hits of more than $50 million each season from 2025 through 2028.

If the Broncos cut Wilson, they will take an $85 million dead salary cap hit. They may be willing to do that just to reset at the quarterback position

One of the most sobering, groan inducting things I have red in a long time : "Russell Wilson is under contract with the Broncos to the 2029 season"

Nice goin' George Payton .. This lets John Elway off the hook for the worst QB maneuver ( Paxton Lynch ) in recent memory

You do understand that if he's traded the cap hit at worst is two years and much less than cutting him outright.

Even cutting him with a June designation means dead cap money over 2 years. And the rest of his GUARANTEED money is accelerated, so no cap hit after 2025, no matter whats in his contract.

I get so tired of people blaming Paton for something his coaches wanted, and the owners wanted just as much as he did.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do understand that if he's traded the cap hit at worst is two years and much less than cutting him outright.

Even cutting him with a June designation means dead cap money over 2 years. And the rest of his GUARANTEED money is accelerated, so no cap hit after 2025, no matter whats in his contract.

I get so tired of people blaming Paton for something his coaches wanted, and the owners wanted just as much as he did.
You hit the Bravo button.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And herein lies the problem

George Paton is trading for, and then - I think we can all agree - foolishly - extending Wilson before we even get him on the field, based on what -- what Nathaniel Hackett wants ?!?!?!

We've got a GM who is listening to Nathaniel Hackett ?? .. a guy who has zero experience as a head coach ??

Or is he listening to some guy who has previously made decisions for WalMart

Paton's job is to make these decisions, not listen to advice from people who have no experience with this type of thing

One thing that is lost on the Russell Wilson mess is that Paton chose Nathaniel Hackett .... the guy who topped Josh McDaniels for worst HC ever here

Just the fact that Paton hired and listened Hackett gets him labeled a failure

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

btw, I just cut-and-pasted the article ... The author's words, not mine

The only thing I added was

Any other time of the year, this wouldn't be worth posting, but the Broncos' season has been over for what seems like months already :"

and

Nice goin' George Payton .. This lets John Elway off the hook for the worst QB maneuver ( Paxton Lynch ) in recent memory"

So before asking if I "understand", it might be worthwhile to actually read what I posted - which includes the disclaimer and the link

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

George Paton is trading for, and then - I think we can all agree - foolishly - extending Wilson before we even get him on the field, based on what -- what Nathaniel Hackett wants ?!?!?!

We've got a GM who is listening to Nathaniel Hackett ?? .. a guy who has zero experience as a head coach ??

Paton's job is to make these decisions, not listen to advice from people who have no experience with this type of thing

One thing that is lost on the Russell Wilson mess is that Paton chose Nathaniel Hackett .... the guy who topped Josh McDaniels for worst HC ever here

I think one thing we need to move on from is the narrative that trading for Russ was fine, but giving him the extension was what killed us. Russ likely only waived has no trade cost to come here because he would be extended.

• Bullseye
Reactions: LGM

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And...are the rumors that it was the ownership wanted him extended correct?

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So now that Paton listens to what Sean Payton wants, is he just as foolish? As the article below shows, there is an obvious connection and reason for the Wilson contract extension that likelyincluded more than just Paton. You dont spend 240 million dollars of a new owners money without discussing that process.

Paton, nor any other NFL (or business for that matter) executive make decisions in a vacuum. Im sure they wanted to get Rodgers, regardless of what they all said when Hackett was there. Would we view him differently had that worked out, because Hackett wanted him too.

So before chastising me for a lack of understanding, reread what I wrote about the "blame" should be shared, just as much as the successes like Brandon Johnson, Gut, McKinney, Cush, Sterns, Surtain, and a ton of other players, coaches and staff.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that Paton listens to what Sean Payton wants, is he just as foolish? As the article below shows, there is an obvious connection and reason for the Wilson contract extension that likelyincluded more than just Paton. You dont spend 240 million dollars of a new owners money without discussing that process.

Paton, nor any other NFL (or business for that matter) executive make decisions in a vacuum. Im sure they wanted to get Rodgers, regardless of what they all said when Hackett was there. Would we view him differently had that worked out, because Hackett wanted him too.

So before chastising me for a lack of understanding, reread what I wrote about the "blame" should be shared, just as much as the successes like Brandon Johnson, Gut, McKinney, Cush, Sterns, Surtain, and a ton of other players, coaches and staff.
Fair enough

But I'm wondering what George Paton's role will be .. or if he is even needed here anymore ...