• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletic is such a weird model. I get it from a "random blogger who wants a slightly better paid gig" point of view. I don't get it from a "why the fuck would I pay to read opinion pieces, which have been free for decades, now?" point of view.
I guess there are people who still enjoy a good sports column, or an in-depth profile on a player, and hey great for them and Athletic is probably worth the money for them.

But all I really care about in hockey media are insider rumours and good statistics and the former almost entirely eminate from the national "insiders" like McKenzie and Friedman, both of whom are currently and likely will always be employed by national broadcasters, while the latter is usually served up by unique websites whose owners get signed by teams within a year or so and the website then folds and another pops up in its place.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer to make up stats and with the proliferation of advanced stats these days and the amount of people in the know I find it harder to pull a fast one. It's makes bullshitting somebody more difficult and I'm up for that challenge.

/the Athletic will have to combat password sharing by this time next year I bet

//hey, BBB, want to go halfsies on a subscription?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess there are people who still enjoy a good sports column, or an in-depth profile on a player, and hey great for them and Athletic is probably worth the money for them.

But all I really care about in hockey media are insider rumours and good statistics and the former almost entirely eminate from the national "insiders" like McKenzie and Friedman, both of whom are currently and likely will always be employed by national broadcasters, while the latter is usually served up by unique websites whose owners get signed by teams within a year or so and the website then folds and another pops up in its place.

I recently got a subscription. You luck out that there are countless places to read Leafs articles. There has been nonstop turnover at the local papers for Devils writers, the coverage that's left is dowright horrific. I will gladly pay the $2.50 a month to read intelligent Devils analysis.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Athletic is such a weird model. I get it from a "random blogger who wants a slightly better paid gig" point of view. I don't get it from a "why the fuck would I pay to read opinion pieces, which have been free for decades, now?" point of view.

I'm assuming the truly interesting stuff will be retweeted out by someone.

besides, I'm a Canucks fan. there's only so may ways to put lipstick on that pig.
I don't need to pay for 4 different deep hits on why they suck. I see it.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

guaranteed Weasel comes out of this with no admitted fault or guilt.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recently got a subscription. You luck out that there are countless places to read Leafs articles. There has been nonstop turnover at the local papers for Devils writers, the coverage that's left is dowright horrific. I will gladly pay the $2.50 a month to read intelligent Devils analysis.
Like I said, if it's your thing go for it. I'm sure there's a lot there for a lot of people.

I just don't really read columns period anymore no matter where they are. I usually skim quickly through Elliotte's 30 Thoughts to see the ones where he mentions almost-trades and maybe-fired execs, can't really be bothered to spend time reading 19. Ran into a goalie coach for a division opponent last week and he mentioned that Carey Price seemed to have an ingrown hair on his neck that was probably affecting his ability to keep his sv% above .860.

There really aren't any Leaf writers I particularly care for. Like puck said, most needed information can be gleamed off of twitter usually and the rest you get by watching the game.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My only memory of him is watching him at CBJ Camp. He was cleaning up pucks after practice and Derek Dorsett was flicking pucks at his backside and laughing. He finished with the pucks, grabbed his stick and gloves skated by Dorsett and punched him right in the face and kept going.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only memory of him is watching him at CBJ Camp. He was cleaning up pucks after practice and Derek Dorsett was flicking pucks at his backside and laughing. He finished with the pucks, grabbed his stick and gloves skated by Dorsett and punched him right in the face and kept going.

My favorite sestito moment was the night torts tried to fight hartley after the line brawl at puck drop which sestito was a part of and post game he says “Torts told us they were starting their idiots over there, so we had to match that” :sly:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moj was in the cesspool the other day and threw out an old mike keane quote (not to be confused with mike keenan ... or mike kennan :nod: )... “you want loyalty ... buy a dog” lol

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a few people who have subscriptions to "The Athletic", they speak highly of it. I don't subscribe to it though.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the athletic last season as a friendly favour to do my part and help keep the kurtenbloggers employed. Must say that i rarely went on the app even though they have a fairly deep stable of contributors across all sports :noidea:

It was set to renew sept 12 but i cancelled the auto renew in august. May rethink that now that botch is there because hes an entertaining must read.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not complete without the Whalers.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not complete without the Whalers.

On that note, check out the new logo of junior b expansion hockey team white rock whalers (suburb of vancouver) (part owner is canucks d man troy stecher)

No word on whether theyll wear cooperalls

White Rock Whalers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.