• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one thing to expand the zone for a power guy and another to swing at pitches in the dirt that you can't drive. Since we have only had a couple of real power guys the last few years, I can't blame them on the lack of OBP.

Now if a slugger can handle himself on the bases like going from 1B to 3B, then walks are great. But when I see Morales walk, I just think DP. Even of not, he stops anyone from going two bases behind him. Again, maybe I am wrong but never understood worrying about a power guys OBP.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3h 3 hours ago

#Mariners made offer to VMart, looking at all hitters, including Cruz. Jack Z was scouting director for MIL when Cruz was with #Brewers.
0 replies 73 retweets 55 favorites

Seems like V-mart and Detroit was pretty much guaranteed. I dont even think 4/80 would done the trick, curious if the amount on that offer ever gets leaked out

I agree. Sounds like he never really wanted to leave and I can appreciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one thing to expand the zone for a power guy and another to swing at pitches in the dirt that you can't drive. Since we have only had a couple of real power guys the last few years, I can't blame them on the lack of OBP.

Now if a slugger can handle himself on the bases like going from 1B to 3B, then walks are great. But when I see Morales walk, I just think DP. Even of not, he stops anyone from going two bases behind him. Again, maybe I am wrong but never understood worrying about a power guys OBP.

When first base is open and you walk a power hitter, that is the equivalent of containing him. When a walk is a victory for the pitcher, the walk should not be allowed to inflate the hitter's OBP/OPS. But, what are you going to do? The sabermaticians need to get busy and create a statistic that neutralizes this anomaly.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a rumor being reported that Miami and Stanton are working on a deal worth $300 million. If that were to happen, you can put any trade scenarios involving the Mariners and Stanton to rest.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a rumor being reported that Miami and Stanton are working on a deal worth $300 million. If that were to happen, you can put any trade scenarios involving the Mariners and Stanton to rest.

I dont get it, he's not that good (30 million, largest contract ever) of a player. I mean he has light tower power sure. But with all that power, he's never hit 40 hr in a year. If he gets 30 million a year, What in the world will Trout get?

Hell looking at their lines, what will Seager get??? Again baseball just throwing around ridiculous contracts.

89run 37 hr 105rbi, .288 avg Average RF defensively
71 run, 25 hr, 96 rbi, .268 avg Gold Glove 3b

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont get it, he's not that good (30 million, largest contract ever) of a player. I mean he has light tower power sure. But with all that power, he's never hit 40 hr in a year. If he gets 30 million a year, What in the world will Trout get?

Hell looking at their lines, what will Seager get??? Again baseball just throwing around ridiculous contracts.

You're ignoring the obvious: he's only 25

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's the Marlins, who probablY need to overpay more than any other MLB team to keep a star player with that franchise.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trout made a mistake with his contract that he already signed through 2020. he may get $30mill+ per year after that, but it won't be for 10 years.

seager won't be anywhere near any of that ever.

stanton in this day and age of MLB offensive output is about to get paid about right, imo.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trout made a mistake with his contract that he already signed through 2020. he may get $30mill+ per year after that, but it won't be for 10 years.

stanton in this day and age of MLB offensive output is about to get paid about right, imo.

He hit .250 the year before last............ Adam Dunn?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hit .250 the year before last............ Adam Dunn?

Oh no, he hit .249 in a season where he was hurt and missed nearly 2 months with injury...what a scrub.

This past season he led the NL in HR, SLG, total bases, and has had a .950+ OPS in two of the past three years...and he only just turned 25.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only on a Mariners thread would Kyle Seager be compared to Mike Stanton.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, he'll be getting $33.25MM per year in three years. That's what they Angels gave him for the FA years they bought.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea huge mistake for him but brilliant obviously for the team. Maybe his camp thought his value was at his highest last offseason but at his age I would have tried to wait.

Seagar isn't in the same class as Stanton, Trout but I do however think its important that an extension gets done for him sooner rather then later because I think that number only gets higher. Important to lock down the only decent position player you have developed since A-rod.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trout got himself a $145MM payday three years before he was a free agent. Anyone who is calling that a huge mistake does not understand risk vs reward, the economics of baseball or both.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea huge mistake for him but brilliant obviously for the team. Maybe his camp thought his value was at his highest last offseason but at his age I would have tried to wait.

Seagar isn't in the same class as Stanton, Trout but I do however think its important that an extension gets done for him sooner rather then later because I think that number only gets higher. Important to lock down the only decent position player you have developed since A-rod.

I honestly thought that the era of $25mill+/10 years was at an end, even for players in their primes like Stanton, so at first I thought the Trout contract wasn't quite so uneven in terms of benefits for himself vs his team.

The fact that Stanton's agent was able to negotiate this made me rethink it, though.

We'll see if Trout ever ends up in a 7-year contract for $30mill+ in 2020, and matches or exceeds Stanton's total for 10 years. I just don't see it happening. A lot can happen, though.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly thought that the era of $25mill+/10 years was at an end, even for players in their primes like Stanton, so at first I thought the Trout contract wasn't quite so uneven in terms of benefits for himself vs his team.

The fact that Stanton's agent was able to negotiate this made me rethink it, though.

We'll see if Trout ever ends up in a 7-year contract for $30mill+ in 2020, and matches or exceeds Stanton's total for 10 years. I just don't see it happening. A lot can happen, though.

Salaries have been and will continue to explode in MLB.

The league is swimming in more cash than it ever has with the mega TV contracts and the wild success of MLBAM.

I saw a thing with Tom Verducci and he was saying that even though these contracts look insane, MLB as a whole is spending less on player personnel as a percentage of revenue than it was 20 years ago. He also said that the revenue numbers they looked at did not even include the MLBAM revenue streams.

Hold on to your hats.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuba's Yoan Moncada cleared

Updated: November 15, 2014, 4:37 PM ET
By Keith Law | ESPN.com
<LI class=print> Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada, who left the country with the government's permission earlier this year, has been cleared by Major League Baseball to sign as a free agent, a source confirmed Saturday.

Moncada still must be cleared by the Office of Foreign Assets Control before he will be eligible to sign and begin his professional career.

MLB.com earlier reported Moncada's clearance.

Moncada, 19, is considered by major league scouts to be one of the best prospects to come out of Cuba. Under the terms of the current collective bargaining agreement between MLB and the player's union, however, he will be treated as an amateur free agent rather than a professional, as Yasiel Puig and Jose Abreu were.

Any major league team that signs Moncada must do so out of its July 2 budget for international free agents, and will pay a penalty of 100 percent on any amount paid to Moncada over that team's fixed budget amount. With the bonus paid to Moncada expected to exceed $30 million, the team that signs him would thus pay nearly $60 million in salary and penalties and would be proscribed from signing any July 2 (international) amateur free agent for the next two years for over $300,000.

The Cubs and Rangers are currently prohibited from signing any player over that number due to exceeding their bonus pool limits in previous years, and thus will be unable to sign Moncada unless OFAC delays his ultimate free agency.

Moncada worked out in front of scouts from all thirty teams on Nov. 12 in Guatemala City, and is expected to travel to the United States for private workouts with teams once he's cleared by OFAC.

A switch-hitter and natural shortstop, he's worked out around the infield, and is more likely to end up at second base, showing power from the left side and above-average running speed.

Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada cleared for free agency - ESPN

Hopefully the M's are interested but the Yankees will probably go all out to get him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with my memory of M's baseball, if it's reported M's have a great chance to sign a guy then in reality he ends up signing elsewhere. :noidea:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with my memory of M's baseball, if it's reported M's have a great chance to sign a guy then in reality he ends up signing elsewhere. :noidea:
Especially regarding Nelson Cruz after the reports of last offseason's facepalm. If the report is 75%, the reality is more like 30%.

Gotta say though, I would love it no matter the cost. I would have loved it even more last season, but :L

I would also find it very interesting if the M's actually did sign Cruz so soon after having that signing vetoed last offseason. It might show that someone upstairs is actually recognizing that they screwed up last year and have the ability to make it right, if a year late.

Either way, signing Nelson Cruz would boost my optimism quite a bit for next season.

Jackson/Saunders (If the Jackson for Gattis move would happen)
Ackley
Cano
Cruz
Seager
(DH) - Gattis?
Morrison
Zunino
Taylor/Miller

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially regarding Nelson Cruz after the reports of last offseason's facepalm. If the report is 75%, the reality is more like 30%.

Gotta say though, I would love it no matter the cost. I would have loved it even more last season, but :L

I would also find it very interesting if the M's actually did sign Cruz so soon after having that signing vetoed last offseason. It might show that someone upstairs is actually recognizing that they screwed up last year and have the ability to make it right, if a year late.

Either way, signing Nelson Cruz would boost my optimism quite a bit for next season.

Jackson/Saunders (If the Jackson for Gattis move would happen)
Ackley
Cano
Cruz
Seager
(DH) - Gattis?
Morrison
Zunino
Taylor/Miller

I'm with ya on that lineup.