• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the World Series being over and Free agency and the offseason beginning I figure we can put any rumors/ deals that come up in this thread.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll jump in. First 2 rumors of the off season are the rumors of most of last year: Cuddyer and Butler. I like Cuddyer and have mentioned on here many times. He fits the definition of 'Professional Hitter'. Yes he is old. Yes he is injury prone. But Stanton isn't coming and unless you want to deal have your young pitching and or Peterson, a better hitter isn't walking through the door.

I would also take a shot at Rios if the price were right. A Cory Hart type deal would work for us, not sure if it would work for him.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll jump in. First 2 rumors of the off season are the rumors of most of last year: Cuddyer and Butler. I like Cuddyer and have mentioned on here many times. He fits the definition of 'Professional Hitter'. Yes he is old. Yes he is injury prone. But Stanton isn't coming and unless you want to deal have your young pitching and or Peterson, a better hitter isn't walking through the door.

I would also take a shot at Rios if the price were right. A Cory Hart type deal would work for us, not sure if it would work for him.

Those are my two guys also. Especially Cuddyer. I think he can hit anywhere in the lineup and be effective both at home and on the road. I like Rios too. My only issue with Rios is that I think he needs to hit in front of Cano in order to maximize his ability and that is also where Ackley needs to hit in order to get the most out of him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are my two guys also. Especially Cuddyer. I think he can hit anywhere in the lineup and be effective both at home and on the road. I like Rios too. My only issue with Rios is that I think he needs to hit in front of Cano in order to maximize his ability and that is also where Ackley needs to hit in order to get the most out of him.

Rios- Agreed. Not a cleanup hitter, but better option than what we have lower in the order.

Cuddyer- Bad news today. Rockies tendered Cuddyer which means signing him costs us a 1st round pick. I really hate that rule.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I cant believe the Rockies gave Cuddyer a qualifying offer. What a head scratcher. I figure he would have to take that but even so I agree not worth the pick.

Ideally were looking for a DH, a corner OF and another starter. I assume we will involve Saunders in some sort of deal, hopefully bringing something decent.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suggested on another thread two deals (yes both highly unlikely):

1- Saunders/Elias/Miller or Taylor for Zobrist and Jennings.
They get cheaper players, a starting SS, and a starter for an aging vet who doesn't fit a rebuild and Jennings who has yet to reach is full potential and isn't a kid anymore.

2- Jackson for Gattis.
Braves get a great defensive CF with a better bat than Upton who they dislike for a DH they can't use in the N.L.

Fantasy ball at its best, but there is some logic to both.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love Gattis for sure but I cant see the organization wanting to trade Jackson. They seem like him as much as they dislike Saunders. I like both ideas but yea highly unlikely

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rios- Agreed. Not a cleanup hitter, but better option than what we have lower in the order.

Cuddyer- Bad news today. Rockies tendered Cuddyer which means signing him costs us a 1st round pick. I really hate that rule.

I also know a certain player who probably hates that rule(morales), but I can't imagine most players like this rule, because it takes away from potential deals they could get.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love Gattis for sure but I cant see the organization wanting to trade Jackson. They seem like him as much as they dislike Saunders. I like both ideas but yea highly unlikely

Yeah, I don't like Jackson at all but I think we arr stuck with him. He and McClendon have history together with Detoit.

I'd much rather give $500,000 to James Jones and spend the saved money elsewhere than give $8 million to AJax.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I cant believe the Rockies gave Cuddyer a qualifying offer. What a head scratcher. I figure he would have to take that but even so I agree not worth the pick.

Ideally were looking for a DH, a corner OF and another starter. I assume we will involve Saunders in some sort of deal, hopefully bringing something decent.

Considering they might be shopping Tulo (and get a few prospects in return), it's possible they felt the need to keep Cuddyer just to show fans that they're not going in full fire-sale mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cuddyer getting a QO is an example of the fresh TV revenue money that has flooded baseball. Some of the guys that have gotten the $15.3 million QO - you have to wonder what their teams are thinking. David Robertson, for example, who has only closed one seaosn in his entire career and has never made more than $5.3 million in a year. Or Russ Martin. Or Francisco Liriano who hasn't pitched more than 162 innings in a season in the past five years and has never had a 200 IP season.

I mean, if these guys are worth $15 million then clearly there is a whole lot of new money floating around baseball. When are the Mariners going to spend theirs?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuddyer getting a QO is an example of the fresh TV revenue money that has flooded baseball. Some of the guys that have gotten the $15.3 million QO - you have to wonder what their teams are thinking. David Robertson, for example, who has only closed one seaosn in his entire career and has never made more than $5.3 million in a year. Or Russ Martin. Or Francisco Liriano who hasn't pitched more than 162 innings in a season in the past five years and has never had a 200 IP season.

I mean, if these guys are worth $15 million then clearly there is a whole lot of new money floating around baseball. When are the Mariners going to spend theirs?

Better to overpay for one season than commit long-term and risk having an albatross down the road. I mean, I'd rather have Liriano for one year at $15M than sign him for a 4 year deal at $12M a season (my guess on what he'd command if he were to become a free agent and test the market).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jack wants to make a big splash.....

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears the Rockies are keeping their "eyes and ears open" for potential trades involving Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez.

Rosenthal clarifies that the club isn't shopping either player, but rather that they'd be willing to listen to offers for either or both. It's not surprising given how much money the team has tied up in the pair despite annually finishing near the bottom of the National League. Even so, a deal for either would likely require a team to pay a steep price in terms of prospects and major league players.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was sarcasm if it wasn't obvious all ready. :nod:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports the Mariners are believed to have a workout scheduled soon for Cuban outfielder Yasmany Tomas.

The M's would become just the latest team to work out the 23-year-old Tomas, as the Phillies, Rangers, Giants, Dodgers, Padres and, most recently, Diamondbacks have seen the outfielder. The Phillies have long been considered the favorites for him, but he'll have no shortage of suitors, it appears. That's one of the reasons Heyman believes his price tag will approach $100 million.

-------------------

Add another Cuban bat we are linked to but remember the last one we signed was Betancourt...lol

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i

Add the Seattle Mariners to the list of teams who are kicking the tires on Cuban outfielder Yasmany Tomas. As Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports, Seattle is the latest club to have scheduled a workout with the free agent.

The organization has expressed a desire to add a pair of hitters to improve the middle of their order, and the corner outfield spots currently held by Dustin Ackley and Michael Saunders would seem to be the easiest places in which to upgrade.

However, ESPN.com's Buster Olney thinks there's another outfield option that the Mariners might want to consider in the form of Hanley Ramirez -- provided, of course, that the infielder finally admits a willingness to change his position.

"Here is a thought for Ramirez as he begins down the road of free agency: He could simply announce right now that he is ready to play in left or right field. If he does this, embracing the idea of a position change, he will be viewed within a completely different context by club executives, and could make them more comfortable in offering a long-term contract," writes Olney.

He goes on to say that "as a left fielder, Ramirez would be a tremendous match for the Mariners as the right-handed hitter who can bat either right in front of Robinson Cano or right behind him." Other teams that might be interested in a "converted" Ramirez include the Giants, Mets, Tigers and Cubs.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanna know something sad? If Hanley Ramirez were to accept a LF role and come to Seattle, he would become the Mariners' greatest left fielder that day.

Even in the steroid days, how did we never have a mashing left fielder who couldn't field? Always mediocrity.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the truth. Greg Briley being a close second...lol.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i

Add the Seattle Mariners to the list of teams who are kicking the tires on Cuban outfielder Yasmany Tomas. As Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports, Seattle is the latest club to have scheduled a workout with the free agent.

The organization has expressed a desire to add a pair of hitters to improve the middle of their order, and the corner outfield spots currently held by Dustin Ackley and Michael Saunders would seem to be the easiest places in which to upgrade.

However, ESPN.com's Buster Olney thinks there's another outfield option that the Mariners might want to consider in the form of Hanley Ramirez -- provided, of course, that the infielder finally admits a willingness to change his position.

"Here is a thought for Ramirez as he begins down the road of free agency: He could simply announce right now that he is ready to play in left or right field. If he does this, embracing the idea of a position change, he will be viewed within a completely different context by club executives, and could make them more comfortable in offering a long-term contract," writes Olney.

He goes on to say that "as a left fielder, Ramirez would be a tremendous match for the Mariners as the right-handed hitter who can bat either right in front of Robinson Cano or right behind him." Other teams that might be interested in a "converted" Ramirez include the Giants, Mets, Tigers and Cubs.

Hey this organization has tons of experience in converting infielders to outfielders. He will fit right in!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True...lol. With that said, here is another article how they want to trade an actual OF.

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports that the Mariners are expected to shop Michael Saunders "hard" at next week's GM meetings.
Saunders is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter and Crasnick writes that both sides appear ready to move on. The 27-year-old earned $2.3 million this season while batting .273/.341/.450 with eight home runs and 34 RBI over 78 games. His season could have looked a lot better if he didn't miss so much time due to injury. He should draw plenty of interest if the M's truly intend to shop him. Nov 7 - 12:04 PM