• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me he is a 1B, DH player on regular basis, but then can also be backup catcher (since ours only plays once a week on average) and emergency LF. Heck, if Hart and LoMo can play OF so can he. Same goes at catcher with Buck playing it.

Well if the Mariners were able to acquire Gattis wouldn't that take them out of the Martinez sweepstakes? I'm not a fan of them getting Ramirez in really any capacity. I really like the idea of Martinez in a Mariners uniform, he definitely fills a need and is proven and don't think there is much doubt he wouldn't succeed here. Until the offense becomes better I'd stay away from NL guys unless they are game changers ala Stanton.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a decade ago I would have worried about the changing leagues thing, but with all inter-league play, and more importantly, and with the umps being MLB umps and not A.L. or N.L. umps I no longer worry about it. Gattis can hit for what we need him to do and his salary works for us so I would take him all day long in the right deal. I still would have no problem offering either Jackson or Saunders for him. Anything more you would have to look over.

I also don't think Gattis has any impact on getting Martinez. VMart is a DH only and Gattis is still able to play the field somewhere.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, makes sense

i was just wondering if people had given up the ghost on zunino already or something

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zunino is the next Johnny Bench. I know this because Jack said so and Dave Sims repeats him. Doesn't make it anymore so than that.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not worried about NL thing, nor am I worried about LH thing. We just need guys that can hit. Since we are dumping Saunders, I think working out something with Gattis may make sense. I dont think you would be able to get rid of Saunders in deal with the Dodgers for Kemp because they have to many outfielders with Pederson trying to break in.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised at only a 3/45 for VMart. I would be all over that in a second. Detroit may be able to get him at that price but the M's probably need to offer in the 4-70 range

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners would have to go 4/60M to 4/70M is my guess.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that the Mariners will prioritize Victor Martinez because he's cheaper than Ramirez. If for some reason they can't land V-Mart, I have a feeling they go all in after Hanley Ramirez. Perhaps I'm just drunk and optimistic, but I think that the Mariners want to make a big move, they'd prefer it be in the V-Mart salary range, but if necessary will give Hanley Ramirez market value.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the M's get both Ramirez and Martinez I'll actually make some trips to Seattle to attend a bunch of games for the first time since 2005.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that the Mariners will prioritize Victor Martinez because he's cheaper than Ramirez. If for some reason they can't land V-Mart, I have a feeling they go all in after Hanley Ramirez. Perhaps I'm just drunk and optimistic, but I think that the Mariners want to make a big move, they'd prefer it be in the V-Mart salary range, but if necessary will give Hanley Ramirez market value.

I think they'll try to make a splash this year, if for no other reason then this is their window. Cano and Felix in their primes, gotta try to win now before canos deal become an albatross.

I think they value Vmart over Hanley, cause hanleys been a headache where ever he's gone.

But also this is the M's so I wouldn't be surprised if their big splash is billy butler.......

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has Nintendo and this front office done to make so many people think they'll even go after 1 top-tier free agent?

Cano was the only bat in a decade at the $10 mill/year+ threshold, and he costs 2.5X that for next ice age.

The M's organization is so addled, Nintendo and Co. probably truly think the team is just a few bargain basement pieces away, and that they can appease M's fans by talking about acquiring v-mart/etc. It's been their MO year after year after year after year after year.

I realize people will call me a downer, but I don't think I'm being unrealistic in the slightest. It's completely pie in the sky to think this corporation will try to make this team better by actually spending real money like the big boys.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has Nintendo and this front office done to make so many people think they'll even go after 1 top-tier free agent?

Cano was the only bat in a decade at the $10 mill/year+ threshold, and he costs 2.5X that for next ice age.

The M's organization is so addled, Nintendo and Co. probably truly think the team is just a few bargain basement pieces away, and that they can appease M's fans by talking about acquiring v-mart/etc. It's been their MO year after year after year after year after year.

I realize people will call me a downer, but I don't think I'm being unrealistic in the slightest. It's completely pie in the sky to think this corporation will try to make this team better by actually spending real money like the big boys.

Tis the season for hope. Dream big, deal with the disappointment later.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for sure.

if i'm dreaming big, the m's get to $120 million in payroll for the first time ever and z pulls off the best trade of his career with the m's.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vmart is off the board. Reports are he resigned in Detroit for 4 years/ 70 mill. I think he was the Mariners top target so hopefully they have a plan B figured out

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4/$68 for VMart. Next.

I still like Gattis and would live with Hanley and his 120 games per year. Take a one year chance on Rios and we are still better than last year.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4/$68 for VMart. Next.

I still like Gattis and would live with Hanley and his 120 games per year. Take a one year chance on Rios and we are still better than last year.

Yeah I'm glad the M's didn't sign VMart since it would've taken more than 4/68mill.

I like Gattis's power and good contract but that seems to be it. Almost like an Adam Dunn without the walks/good OBP.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood why fans put value into OBP in regards to slugs like Gattis or Dunn? I mean who really wants to see Morales walk 100 times? He just clogs the bases once on 1B. It's like worrying about a leadoff hitters slugging percentage. I just want him getting on and getting over. Not knocking you for the comment because I read it all the time, but it is just something I don't understand. Maybe I am just not seeing the big picture, but I would rather see a slugger expand his zone a little and try to drive one rather than accept a walk and clog the bases.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
m's were dead last in the league in OBP this year, and have been dead last in 3 of the past 4.

power DH's in good lineups walk quite a lot actually. our DH's never seem to have much on base to work with, though, so they've hacked away at shitty pitches trying to be the hero for the past half decade and more.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator: