• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jacoby Brissett

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what this team can and will do with Sam. That's the scary part. I do think if you drop Mahomes, Burrow, or even Herbert onto this roster, we'd be contenders.....maybe even favorites in the NFC. You could say that about a lot of teams when it comes to those QBs though.

I think this is the best roster top to bottom since Gibbs 2.0

Gruden and Kirk never had a defense like this.
Not unless we shore up the OL…..if we don’t, it wont make much difference who the QB is.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero confidence in Ron Rivera, especially when it comes to the QB position. His #1 priority for years has been to finally fill the QB void here in D.C. His answers have been Fitzpatrick, Wentz, Allen, and Heinicke.

The QB1 call will be made by Rivera with a lot of input from EB. I know this because it's Rivera who bought the groceries for EB to work with. I dislike bringing this up but like the Wince situation, Rivera will at some point want to prove himself correct... this time with Howell, even though I believe that Brissett is the better QB at this point in their careers.

Howell could prove to be the better QB in the long run, but the odds are against that happening. (
1. He's a rookie
2. He has one year to prove himself
3. I'm not sure that they are finished acquiring QBs because trade and the draft offer them options.
4. New ownership next year and changes will definitely occur.

well of course JB is better right now b/c he has way more experience and Howell has only played one game. Howell is still an unknown. I think EB and RR will give Howell a legit shot to prove himself starting Week 1. IF SH stinks it up after 4 games then yes a move can be made. IMO Howell will be the Week 1 starter.

Last edited:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howell played ok against Dallas. I wouldn't day played well.

He had some great plays but then some head scratches. He didn't even throw for 200 yards against a team that was looking toward the playoffs.

I am pulling for howell, but if brissett beats him out, so be it.

That is why I am disappointed in free agency at this point. Can anyone honestly say that the team did all they could to get howell protected?

They got 2 lineman in FA and probably one or 2 in the draft. The glaring weakness right now is LG assuming Roullier is 100% healthy. If Roullier is not healthy, they go to Gates which is not bad at all at Center. The team is not done yet adding to the oline. Lets be patient.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He absolutely has to earn his spot. But if he can’t beat out JB, we have bigger problems. JB is not the savior of this team, but was brought in to provide vet support In the case of implosion by SH. JB isn’t leading this team to the playoffs. The question is can SH.

Drsftva QB every year until we finally hit on one. Then draft one the next year just to be sure…..
If ever there was a time to temper expectations, this season gives us that and the opportunity to set ourselves up for a pleasant surprise if it happens.

Unfortunately, some on this board represent the mindset and operational habits of the team when the question is how to solve the long-running QB quandary. While I agree with all efforts and sentiments to "draft one until they finally hit on one" the actual practice of doing that has major flaws. They are...
1. A reluctance to move up in any draft to get a high-end one that increases their chance of success because of the loss of draft capital.
2. An insistence upon drafting one late in the draft usually rounds 4-7. AND...
3. Some sort of functional disconnect in trying to fit that late-round QB onto a team that doesn't have the necessary parts to give him a chance at success.
4. Conservatism in a scoring-promoted league that suggested game manager types and they've gotten progressively worse scoring points.
In 2022 they averaged 18.9 ppg (The league average was 21.6ppg)
In 2021 they averaged 19.7 ppg (The league average was 23.0 ppg)
In 2020 they averaged 20.9 ppg (The league average was 24.8 ppg)
In 2019 they averaged 16.6 ppg (The league average was 22.8 ppg)

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not unless we shore up the OL…..if we don’t, it wont make much difference who the QB is.
LG definitely could use an upgrade. I'd love Schmitz at 47, but they seem to like Gates. Ine needs work for sure.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well of course JB is better right now b/c he has way more experience and Howell has only played one game. Howell is still an unknown. I think EB and RR will give Howell a legit shot to prove himself starting Week 1. IF SH stinks it up after 4 games then yes a move can be made. IMO Howell will be the Week 1 starter.
While I don't disagree with any of this, Rivera risks everything on that unknown and just as you suggest will go with him even if JB out-performs him in camp. Howell WILL BE the week one starter, there's little doubt about that and there will be significant struggles as we know because the best that's ever played the game had growing pains. You'd have to admit that hoping that Sam Howell is going to be the one exception in the history of the NFL is truly far-fetched.

"Stinking it up" is subjective despite the fact that we've had a long history of being first-hand witnesses to the same. That said Howell might or may not perform to such a putrid level but, as I suspect, become another version of Taylor Heinicke with a stronger arm. Perhaps a better NFL comparison is Chase Daniel who had a prospect grade of 6.7 meaning that he will eventually Be an average starter. Howell's prospect grade was 6.22.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got 2 lineman in FA and probably one or 2 in the draft. The glaring weakness right now is LG assuming Roullier is 100% healthy. If Roullier is not healthy, they go to Gates which is not bad at all at Center. The team is not done yet adding to the oline. Lets be patient.
I think Roullier is done as a healthy center . The guys we picked up are avg guys at best , gates isnt much better health wise either . We need to draft o/ line early and often

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Roullier is done as a healthy center . The guys we picked up are avg guys at best , gates isnt much better health wise either . We need to draft o/ line early and often

If Roullier is out, I say yes. I also could see us going CB at #16. Especially if Gonzo, Porter, or Spoon is there. #16 Cb and 2nd round og/C Aviala would be a good start.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Roullier is out, I say yes. I also could see us going CB at #16. Especially if Gonzo, Porter, or Spoon is there. #16 Cb and 2nd round og/C Aviala would be a good start.
we need another center , OG , and OT

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larsen and Gates can play center and if we draft Aviala he can play center or OG
Being able to play center dean and actually be good at it are 2 different things . Larsen and Gates are just as injury prone as Roullier and hence aren’t solid solutions

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being able to play center dean and actually be good at it are 2 different things . Larsen and Gates are just as injury prone as Roullier and hence aren’t solid solutions

well it could be the solution this year if we don't draft one which its very possible.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. are you going to flip if we don't go oline in the 1st round?
No.

It might make sense to go CB if the board doesn't have any value at OLine at 16.

What I will say is that if we have the same grade on a CB and OL, Rivera will go CB. He is a defensive coach and I am now used to his absurd roster decisions. I have zero trust in him doing the right thing.

Rivera is the coach and GM; however, I would have approached the offseason much differently than him.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

It might make sense to go CB if the board doesn't have any value at OLine at 16.

What I will say is that if we have the same grade on a CB and OL, Rivera will go CB. He is a defensive coach and I am now used to his absurd roster decisions. I have zero trust in him doing the right thing.

Rivera is the coach and GM; however, I would have approached the offseason much differently than him.

If the Ohio St and Georgia Lt's are there at #16 its going to be interesting. I think Gonzo will be off the board. If Porter or Spoon is still there with those two LT's then there is a huge decision to make.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I was not a supporter of signing JB, I disagree with people who claim he would be incapable of leading this team to the playoffs. Last season we had he worst QBs in the league and almost squeezed into the playoffs. JB is better than both CW and TH. We have improved the OL, regardless of what people claim. Our offense has good playmakers and our defense is top 5, and we get Chase back.

I wanted to give SH an opportunity and that is why I did not want JB. While I see JB as capable of getting into the playoffs, I do not see him as a SB winner.