• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jacoby Brissett: Ya'll wanna talk about it now?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier in the season when there was still a season to salvage, I suggested inserting Brissett as starter because he offered things that Howell simply didn't have. What followed was the usual stuff about sticking with Howell, blah,blah, blah. On Sunday, you all got a look at what a seasoned NFL QB brings to the team and worse the opportunity to compare and contrast differences between the two. Even now, the same rationalizing is stubbornly being held as responsible for Howell's limitations. Clearly, there's no future here for Brissett as anything other than the role he's currently holding but the bigger question, now that you've seen a first-hand comparison is, has your mind changed about Howell's future as the franchise guy?

Gosknz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on where they pick in the draft and who is available. Clearly Howell has struggled as of late and the team is doing him no favors either. If you are talking about the 3rd or 4th best QB in the draft than I roll Howell. Will also depend on who the OC is. You can do a lot worse than Howell, especially if he is the 4th overall pick and he doesn't pan out.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier in the season when there was still a season to salvage, I suggested inserting Brissett as starter because he offered things that Howell simply didn't have. What followed was the usual stuff about sticking with Howell, blah,blah, blah. On Sunday, you all got a look at what a seasoned NFL QB brings to the team and worse the opportunity to compare and contrast differences between the two. Even now, the same rationalizing is stubbornly being held as responsible for Howell's limitations. Clearly, there's no future here for Brissett as anything other than the role he's currently holding but the bigger question, now that you've seen a first-hand comparison is, has your mind changed about Howell's future as the franchise guy?
I admittedly was guilty of that, but I sent you a post about possibly moving on to Daniels weeks ago.

As far as Howell's future, I'm willing to give him three more weeks before I make a final decision. Definitely leaning Daniels though.

I get the line is bad, but Burrow was the most sacked QB in the league and he took his team to the Superbowl.

I really wanted to find out if QB was a need. That's why it was so important for us to play Howell this year.

Brissett had no future here and he has no future here, so inserting him as the starter would have at best allowed us to back into the playoffs and ruin our draft position.

At worst, we still wouldn't know what we had in Howell and spend 2024 trying to figure that out.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look if you think 1/2 a quarter of football in garbage time means anything i cant help you . putting brisset in to go 9-7 (doubtful ) doesnt do this team any good . finding out about howell in a transition year is more important then deciding to spend 20 mil plus on a journeyman qb

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to give howell the benefit of the doubt.

Looking back, at this point, brissett looked better in the offense. I can't say he is better unless we have a bigger sample size.

Brissett looked more relaxed and calmer than howell. Seemed night and day. Maybe the Rams simply went into prevent defense and didn't care. Maybe not.

I don't think Howell is our qb of the future. I was wrong in my original evaluation.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on where they pick in the draft and who is available. Clearly Howell has struggled as of late and the team is doing him no favors either. If you are talking about the 3rd or 4th best QB in the draft than I roll Howell. Will also depend on who the OC is. You can do a lot worse than Howell, especially if he is the 4th overall pick and he doesn't pan out.
I also pointed out who the best 3 QBs in this draft were and after some consternation, time proved me right.
There's near consensus that Williams will be the first QB taken, Daniels and Penix finished 1-2 in the Heisman race. Any of those guys gives you more than Howell fresh out of the box. I am a bit concerned about Penix's height though.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brissett is a JAG with no upside. He won't be in contention for a 2024 starting QB job anywhere in the NFL. This season was always about trying to develop Howell, and it still is. If Howell doesn't pan out move on to the next guy. If you don't want Howell for 2024 will be teams who would trade for him.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't anoint Brissett for two drives. You keep notes on Sam if you are the new GM and HC. Brissett has a career history that says he is not Mahomes or Burrow.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, Brissett ended up playing meaningless minutes due to Howell getting abused all season. What we learned is, Howell is a very capable starter in this league. A star? No one knows this after 17 games played which he still have a few to go to reach those games played. I saw good, bad and indifferent during Howell's play this season. Having said that, he played on a team with absolutely the worst defense in football. He played on a team with absolutely the worst offensive line in football. Played for a HC who did NOT set his young QB up for success. Played for an OC who is pass happy and trying to obtain a HC position so why not throw it 35x per game. This year was an absolute chit show and its was unfortunate for Howell. He is on his rookie contract so keep him around. Draft Daniels and let them complete for next years starting gig.
This team has so much work to do, it won't matter much who starts next year either.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brissett came into the game after it was essentially over, with the Rams holding a three touchdown lead, correct?

I’m glad he looked good, but I think its important to call it what it was: mop up duty for a career backup against a team likely done with their defensive game planning.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look if you think 1/2 a quarter of football in garbage time means anything i cant help you . putting brisset in to go 9-7 (doubtful ) doesnt do this team any good . finding out about howell in a transition year is more important then deciding to spend 20 mil plus on a journeyman qb
My thoughts exactly. We already know what Brissett is, that garbage time meant nothing. They absolutely had to roll with Howell, the record would have probably been close to the same and everyone benefitted from having the young guy play and develop as the team evaluates him.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admittedly was guilty of that, but I sent you a post about possibly moving on to Daniels weeks ago.

As far as Howell's future, I'm willing to give him three more weeks before I make a final decision. Definitely leaning Daniels though.

I get the line is bad, but Burrow was the most sacked QB in the league and he took his team to the Superbowl.

I really wanted to find out if QB was a need. That's why it was so important for us to play Howell this year.

Brissett had no future here and he has no future here, so inserting him as the starter would have at best allowed us to back into the playoffs and ruin our draft position.

At worst, we still wouldn't know what we had in Howell and spend 2024 trying to figure that out.
Any QB that you ha e is fully dependent upon the team that drafts him. Too many are ruined than become failures because they lack skill. Daniels adds a dynamism rarely seen in the NFL and Washington could be fortunate getting him.
I am confident that drafting a new QB AND allowing Howell to play in 2024 is the best way to finally take a hard swing at answering the QB question
Brissett is a JAG with no upside. He won't be in contention for a 2024 starting QB job anywhere in the NFL. This season was always about trying to develop Howell, and it still is. If Howell doesn't pan out move on to the next guy. If you don't want Howell for 2024 will be teams who would trade for him.
This thread isn't about Brissett, it's about Howell.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, Brissett ended up playing meaningless minutes due to Howell getting abused all season. What we learned is, Howell is a very capable starter in this league. A star? No one knows this after 17 games played which he still have a few to go to reach those games played. I saw good, bad and indifferent during Howell's play this season. Having said that, he played on a team with absolutely the worst defense in football. He played on a team with absolutely the worst offensive line in football. Played for a HC who did NOT set his young QB up for success. Played for an OC who is pass happy and trying to obtain a HC position so why not throw it 35x per game. This year was an absolute chit show and its was unfortunate for Howell. He is on his rookie contract so keep him around. Draft Daniels and let them complete for next years starting gig.
This team has so much work to do, it won't matter much who starts next year either.
Gentlemen, if all that you saw was another player playing "meaningless minutes" in "garbage time" then you aren't serious about evaluating Howell. You're hopeful about the guy and that's your right, but to try to put the focus on Brissett and not Howell comparatively actually serves no purpose.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any QB that you ha e is fully dependent upon the team that drafts him. Too many are ruined than become failures because they lack skill. Daniels adds a dynamism rarely seen in the NFL and Washington could be fortunate getting him.
I am confident that drafting a new QB AND allowing Howell to play in 2024 is the best way to finally take a hard swing at answering the QB question

This thread isn't about Brissett, it's about Howell.
There is definitely merit in that line of thinking. QB has been an issue for years here. Doubling down might definitely solve it. I'd just have a hard time passing on MHJ if the plan is Howell in 24. Jmo........Harrsion might not even be there.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is definitely merit in that line of thinking. QB has been an issue for years here. Doubling down might definitely solve it. I'd just have a hard time passing on MHJ if the plan is Howell in 24. Jmo........Harrsion might not even be there.
I agree, if Howell is going to be the guy, then there have to be massive upgrades everywhere else. In addition to a once-in-a-lifetime offensive line, he's going to need a top-three WR, a top 5 running attack and probably the best TE in the game in order to qualify for the playoffs. To win it all. The team, even with all of that won't win it all unless they come together in an "up" season for Howell.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, if Howell is going to be the guy, then there have to be massive upgrades everywhere else. In addition to a once-in-a-lifetime offensive line, he's going to need a top-three WR, a top 5 running attack and probably the best TE in the game in order to qualify for the playoffs. To win it all. The team, even with all of that won't win it all unless they come together in an "up" season for Howell.
That's kinda harsh..lol. but i hear you.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's your thread and your thread title...unless I missed the sarcasm?
Read the post and the title becomes clear. It's 100% about Howell in comparison to what we saw in Brissett this past Sunday. There's context involved that goes back several weeks. perhaps you weren't around to know about that bit of thread history.

Last edited:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kinda harsh..lol. but i hear you.
I am pretty sure that not one person here sees Howell as a game-changer, thus the need for an overwhelming support cast. Not harsh, real.