• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawkeyes 2013-2014 BB thread

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa needs Michigan St to beat Ohio St today. That puts Iowa then at either the #4 or #5 depending on what Nebraska does against Wisconsin. An OSU win against MSU drops Iowa to the #6 where Iowa beats the #11 only to face MSU - which would be another defeat.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't watch another game vs. MSU if someone paid me to. No thanks, don't need a guaranteed bad mood watching that nonsense.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Iowa gets the #6 seed and probably draws #11 Northwestern. The winner gets Michigan St. Iowa beats NW - I think easily - but gets punched in the mouth against MSU in both halves and bows out to a #10 seed in the Big Dance. Maybe a #9 - but much has to go right for that to happen.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to be so down on this team, but shit man, we are playing terrible.

-Marble is our only consistent player and even he isn't strapping the team to his back and leading the guys. -Basabe has totally disappeared the second half of league play. He's not rebounding, blocking or scoring.
-White- is so utterly inconsistent it's pathetic. He used to have no fear shooting the ball as an underclassman, but now hardly ever takes an open shot. I'm so sick of his pump fakes and stone hands.
-Gessell- fearless with the ball, but how can this guy be a 65% FT shooter?
-Woody- Has a mean-ness to him, but needs to gain about 30lbs to back it up inside. Simply cannot bang with the big 10 centers.

McCabe- Don't get me started. Dude plays hard, but is simply a hack and a thug.
Uthoff - Skinny fucker too. Can't get physical and gets dominated inside. has a nice shot at times, but needs to get over the mental.
Olesani- had a good run during the B1G, but like Basabe, faded badly down the stretch
Oglesby- Played better than last year, but the team doesn't have good enough ball movement to get him open looks. He spends most of his time running around like a chicken with his head cut off and probably is too worn out in clutch time to make a basket.
Clemens - Really took a step back from last year. In Fran's doghouse?
Jok - Has a long way to go. I never even saw a glimpse of the great shooter I heard about.

So we lose our 1st team all B1G player. Do we get better next year? I don't see how. Fran has his work cut out between now and then. Not just with his player development, but his scheme. I think he needs to be figuring out how to develop a post game and stop running those stupid defensive screens up top with the big men.

Dunno man, but this wasn't the season I was looking for and I don't see us getting better next year...

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wings,

I'd add this:
- Gesell misses far too many layups.
- Woody won't be much until late in his junior year, but probably his senior season (a Les Jespen//Acie Earl type of Iowa big man)
- White is a better version of McCabe - and needs to decide if he wants to dominate his opponent on both ends of the floor.
- Olgesby, Uthoff, & Jok are all cut the same: too thin and slow footed. Each can do somethings well, but not great
- Olesani should start over Woody and get 3:1 minutes per game.
- Clemens: I've always liked better than Gesell. He's quicker with the ball - AND - a stronger player. For some reason, Fran chose Gesell over Clemens. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Clemens transferred to another school for starters minutes.
- Basabe: never reached his potential while at Iowa and kissed an NBA career away.
- Marble: will end up playing overseas in Turkey, Italy, or France.
- McCabe: was the right player but in the wrong conference.

We've all seen the best college basketball teams play this year. They all have players that are physical specimens that play without contact bothering them. They can all grind out possessions when they have too and go for the knockout at every opportunity.

Future recruits that have committed are all long and lanky:
- Brady Ellingson (SG) 6'4" and 175
- Dominique Uhl (PF) 6'8" and 185
- Trey Dickerson (PG) 6'1'' and 170 (not yet signed)

The PG recruit is interesting......especially considering Fran's already got 2 PGs on the roster. I wonder if Dickerson is waiting to hear if Clemens is leaving before signing?????

Iowa is an athletic and long team, but it lacks the power that is so needed by teams in the B1G. Fran isn't bringing in the power recruits that are sorely needed.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most bracketology says we're in. I see a 10 seed.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One bracket down....

I think Iowa is in as a #10 as well.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's two regions complete....yikes!!

Nebraska as a #11...what does that mean for Iowa.......

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think 11 at worst...Maybe?

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather be a 10 than a 8 or 9...

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee has been playing well late in the season - will be a tough opponent for Iowa.

stammer78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa vs. Tennesee. good match up for the Hawks. Winner faces UMass. It will be tough for hawks in this bracket.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa vs. Tennesee. good match up for the Hawks. Winner faces UMass. It will be tough for hawks in this bracket.

At this point ANY bracket will be tough. Gotta get heads right. The play in sucks, but assuming we beat Tenn and Umass, at least we wouldn't be playing a 1 seed like an 8/9 would..

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone know why the play in games are always held in Dayton? wonder if we were a last 4 in

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Dayton bid to be the host city for the play-in games.

Yes, Iowa was one of the last four in.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well also kind of weird that BYU got in, but why would the Midwest Bracket carry matchups of 3 of the 4 play in games...South is the other, I would think each bracket would have a play in game, this committee...I swear, bunch of oddballs if you ask me, I figured Iowa would be an 11 seed. They can beat both TN and Umass, but need to get back to form, potential matchup with Michigan again if they can make it past those guys and Duke.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This bracket really doesn't scare me. All games are winnable if we can somehow get our shit together.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Midwest Region is stacked. None of these games will be easy for teams - not counting the first real round of games. Three of last seasons final four teams are in this bracket (Louisville, Michigan, & Wichita St). Iowa will have trouble with Tennessee. If Iowa can win that game I really like their chances against UMass - but not against Duke.