• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawkeyes 2013-2014 BB thread

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Midwest Region is stacked. None of these games will be easy for teams - not counting the first real round of games. Three of last seasons final four teams are in this bracket (Louisville, Michigan, & Wichita St). Iowa will have trouble with Tennessee. If Iowa can win that game I really like their chances against UMass - but not against Duke.

All the brackets are stacked hoops. I think this is the easiest of the 4.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South region: Kansas a #2 - only if Joel Embiid's back is healthy. Florida probably walks to the Final Four
East region: Probably the easiest of the four. #4 Michigan St probably walks to the Final Four
West region: Wisconsin a #2 - laughable!!! Arizona probably walks to the Final Four
Midwest region: totally stacked!!! Louisville got shafted as a #4 seed and plays pissed off basketball and gets back to the Final Four.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get this done tonight Hawks and move on. Tough game, but winnable.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee looks quick and very wide!!!

Jok just stroked a 3-ptr. Love to see him play well with Basabe and McCabe in foul trouble already

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa might have problems in the second half because of foul trouble.

Looks like Tennessee creates an unfair advantage by pushing Iowa's players out of the way - 5+ no calls by the refs....

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The physical play by Tennessee on defense - against Marble - has neutralized Marble significantly. Hopefully, Marble is true to form and asserts himself in the second half for 15+ points.

Nice production from Iowa's bench. Now they can dig in and answer Tennessee's run to end the half.

Go Hawks!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, on to next year, go Hawkeye wrestling and women's basketball and baseball and whatever other sports are left, golf? track?

It wasn't a total loss, we got to the NCAA's which was the goal, next year goal of sweet 16 if you ask me

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30-13 in foul disparity tonight...very interesting...sure kept Tennessee in the game. That caused Tennessee to have a +12 at the foul line in this game tonight. Looked like Iowa was playing 'thug' Wisconsin tonight of a few years back.

Good season Hawkeyes!!

Coach Fran, I sure hope your son (and family) get good news soon!

Looking forward to seeing Iowa's progress and recruits develop over the summer. Expectations for another 20+ win team next year that plays strong and consistent basketball every game next year.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at it this morning, ponder on this, Fran got up at 5 am yesterday, son in surgery, etc...we all get that and a lot of us are Dads as well, so that hits home and is way more important.

But, Iowa got to the NCAA's, first time since 2006, anyone remember that awful game? If not, see the stupid Buffalo Wild Wings game with the guy who says if they lose he will choke down the hottest wings they have...notice the game on in the background, it is that Iowa team which was 25-9 or something vs NW State, the one we lost as a 2 seed or 3 seed...a game I hate to see in that stupid commercial.

I will take this OT loss to TN over that game any time. Now to pack on some beef in the offseason and move forward, I would like to see each player gain 10 lbs of muscle minimum in the offseason cause we sure need it.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fat, muscle, water weight....I don't care, these kids need to get bigger and stronger however they manage it. Last night's game just proved how weak Iowa is. Woodbury getting shoved around all game long was pissing me off.

Sweet 16 next year is too optimistic for me since we lose our best player in Marble. I don't see anyone stepping into that spot and producing like he did this year, certainly not Set Shot Willy (Oglesby) or The Human Skeleton (Uthoff).

Team needs to improve in all areas, not just offensively. They need to learn how to set better screens, how to move away from the ball, how to DEFEND THE MOTHERLOVING THREE, which killed us every single loss this year. Rebounding, free throw shooting.......just about everything needs to be much much better for this team to even consider an NCAA bid next year.

We were all calling for 25 or more wins this year and it didn't happen.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge disappointment last night. We were in control of that game start to finish except 3 minutes at the end of the half and about 4 min at the end of the game when richardson was lighting it up. Still could have avoided OT if White hadn't committed that stupid foul at the end.

I know we finally got back to the Tourney (sort of), but we way underachieved down the stretch. In our losses we always had one or two key players play like shit, got lazy with rebounding and played crap D. As I said before, if it weren't for big feet, half our team would go down the drain when they shower.

I was actually impressed with Woody's play last night. Imagine what he'd be like if he had the muscle to bang inside.

We have a bunch of B and B+ players, but no A guys and you don't get into Harvard with B+'s.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being in a power conference, Iowa needs to bring in recruits that have power in their game. The athleticism is definitely upgraded in the program. It would be nice to see Fran bring in recruits that have athleticism and power. The last three years has been a clear indication of the need to be able to grind out possessions in the B1G. And to do that, you need to have guys that want contact in the half court set.

Looking forward: I think Iowa might be better next season -- addition through subtraction.
McCabe: loyal member of the team, I appreciate his efforts and contributions to the program, but he really struggled at his position in the B1G. Would have been a more productive player in a mid-major conference.
Basabe: loyal member of the team, but his performance last night sums up his Iowa career - incredible talent that gave away a career in the NBA because he couldn't put the effort to improve in.
Marble: loyal member of the team, but clearly, he hates physical defenders. Marble's game wont get him into the NBA. He'll, most likely, end up in the NBA's D-League - or overseas in Europe somewhere.

Starting 5 next year:
5-Woodbury
4-White
3-Uthoff
2-Jok//Oglesby
1-Gesell

I think Fran's bench gets much shorter as well with Clemmons, Olaseni, Jok/Oglesby and possibly Meyer getting consistent time. That might make for more offensive consistency for the team.

Fran just picked up a PG commitment from a JUCO player: Trey Dickerson (is Clemmons leaving?). Additional commits: SG Brady Ellingson and PF Dominique Uhl.

Go Hawks!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Craft: 6'2" 205
Devyn Marble: 6'6" 200

Just one example, McCabe is probably the beefiest guy on the team but if you go to the HawkeyeSports.com site and look at our roster, I was really surprised to see the height/weight of our players...they look way skinnier than listed, just shows their frames could likely hold some more

But, I say this as a guy who always struggled to put weight on, no matter how many hours I was in the weight room or what I ate, it is not always easy, you need a good mix. I see Mich State's team as the prototypical B10 team, you need some skinny speedy guys, you need some beef, you need athletic skills all around. We get to that and we are solid, I think our team is solid going into next year, we just have to gel a bit more.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw Kyle Meyer is leaving to open up a scholarship...Greg Stokes daughter just won a NC as a part of the UCONN women's team...not much else happening I guess

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw Kyle Meyer is leaving to open up a scholarship...Greg Stokes daughter just won a NC as a part of the UCONN women's team...not much else happening I guess

I'd love to trade a Kyle for a D'quan, Tyrese or Rahim......

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stokes is a junior and will graduate in May it looks like. Sounds like he wants to play...but knows that he wont see the floor for Iowa. That means moving down to...a Drake maybe???