• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawkeyes 2013-2014 BB thread

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for one thing Minny shot over 60%, about 80% from 3 and they hit like 90% of their FTs. I think any team facing that type of shooting, especially on the road is gonna lose. Iowa actually played pretty well tonight, but just had a few too many turnovers. Hard to get too down when we basically played good in a hostile and super energetic environment.

We were unlucky enough to be there when Minny had breakout games for several players.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see veteran - and experienced - players making far too many mistakes. Marble is a one-half player that disappears in the other half. Don't know why that happens. Missed open looks and 'bunny shots' compounded by our opponents getting wide-open looks and making them -- that gets hard to watch.

Here's hoping the guys get it together, get hot, and get on a role soon!!!

Yeah, is the 2-3 zone not right for Iowa? There have been instances throughout the season when we've played some man but it seems hard for McCaf to stray away from the 2-3. Wing brings up great points, Minn did have a damn great offensive game, maybe it's the defensive side of the ball.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wings,

Yes, Minnesota shot lights out tonight. To Iowa's misfortune!! From when I was able to watch in the 1st half, Minnesota had a high number of uncontested shots. Iowa's defense looked a step behind tonight. And yes, Minnesota couldn't miss tonight - crapola!!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
having played ball for several years, you combat a team that is shooting very well with physical play, shoot 2 or 3 jumps shots and make them, the next time I am on you and will be fouling you on the shooting arm to get you off your streak...not in a malicious way, but enough to let you know I am there. I never do it when it is not in the confines of the game, but this is a full contact sport. If you know you might get hit next time, I am in your head. It is very hard to find a guy who will continue to make shots after you play hard defense on them...just my 2 cents on all these suddenly lights out shooting teams we are running into...if we have 11 guys then use them. Heck OSU, Wisconsin, MSU, etc do it already, why is Iowa so slow to realize this.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minny shot 30 FTs last night. Iowa fouled more than they had all year. I'm not saying defense was a priority in that game, but I think Fran was trying to contest their shots. Ball movement on both teams was impressive and there were a lot of open shooters. 9 times out of 10 a team like Iowa wins run and gun games; just didn't happen last night because the Goofers couldn't miss....FGs or FTs.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch it so was just thinking that might have been the issue...well we are looking like a really strong NIT team at this point, maybe we can win it this year.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rmilia,

Losing late in the season is not a good thing. I was referring to going into post season play with momentum. Losing late - and often - is the mountain that Iowa would have to climb to make some noise in the post season.

Finishing 10-8 in the B1G gets Iowa in - no doubt. The seed wouldn't be the greatest. But Iowa would be in.

Oh OK gotcha. I thought you meant theyd have a mountain to climb to make it :) LOL. Wires crossed.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch it so was just thinking that might have been the issue...well we are looking like a really strong NIT team at this point, maybe we can win it this year.

I assume you're being sarcastic.

Y'all got 19 wins and there's no way y'all finish (0-4).

I wish Nebraska had 19 wins right now. I could take a nap instead of chewing my fingernails.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually being somewhat realistic, the team we saw in early to mid January is not the same team it is now, regression has occurred, if you take the last 2 weeks of basketball, we are an NIT team. We should not have lost to Wisconsin and we should not have lost to Minnesota no matter how good they are shooting.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually being somewhat realistic, the team we saw in early to mid January is not the same team it is now, regression has occurred, if you take the last 2 weeks of basketball, we are an NIT team. We should not have lost to Wisconsin and we should not have lost to Minnesota no matter how good they are shooting.

I know what you're saying, but it looks about the same to me. No real consistency since mid- December actually. You just beat #10 Michigan on Feb 8th. Tough loss at home to a good Wisconsin team.

Iowa's going to the NCAA tournament.

Like I said, I wish I could say the same for Nebraska.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with RA. Iowa's been inconsistent all year. It's not like we regressed all of a sudden. We'll make the NCAAs, but we're looking at a lower seed for sure (6-7 if I had to guess)

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I said the Minny game was a must win. Gotta have this one...no way can we lose 3 in a row. Come on Hawkeyes!

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality ( hard truth coming Iowa fans ) is that we really havent had that many good wins this year. Sure we hammered Michigan and beat OSU on the road but those 2 games are basically the extent of our truly quality wins ( and some people would argue that OSU isnt really a truly quality win ). We have had PLENTY of opportunities to get big wins. Nova, ISU, Wisky 2x, MSU.... all those are games we could have easily won but didnt. The only real difference between this years Iowa team and last years Iowa team is our SOS is better and we dont have the 1 or 2 BAD losses. That will be enough to get us in the tourney but unless we magically find a way to start winning these close games we arent going any further than Round 2 or BEST case the S16. This team simply is not clutch. We have had FT's to close out Nova, FT's to close out ISU, had late leads evaporate twice against the Badgers, missed a 4 foot bunny and a tip in to beat MSU. This group of guys has talent, more so than any Iowa team since the late 80's but they just dont have THAT GUY. The guy that closes shit down. Teams dont win titles without that guy. Just the way it is.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with your post. We let so many games slip away this season. Games we lost at the FT line piss me off more than anything else. Followed by lack of hustle losses like we exhibited in Ann Arbor.

I've said many times this season that we're soft. Really the only difference in how the team is performing is that Ogelsby found his shot this year.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with your post. We let so many games slip away this season. Games we lost at the FT line piss me off more than anything else. Followed by lack of hustle losses like we exhibited in Ann Arbor.

I've said many times this season that we're soft. Really the only difference in how the team is performing is that Ogelsby found his shot this year.

Thats and we have no bad losses ( no Iowa fans losing to Minnesota, while shitty, is not a bad loss ). Our Non Conference SOS still sucked but it was considerably better than last years and our B10 SOS was MUCH tougher this year so overrall we will be fine to get a bid barring a collapse where we lose 3 of our last 4 and then get bounced first round B10 tounrey. However this team has NO SHOT to make any real serious noise unless they toughen up and grow some balls.

Think McFly Think

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least they're playing hard in the last 10 seconds.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ship looks like its going under. After watching the first half, sure looks like Iowa ran themselves out of gas in the second half. The shots looked flat in that second half because of their heavy legs. Just too many mental errors, not getting shots on the basket because of the turnovers, more stretches of scoring droughts.

Iowa still is in the Big Dance. Would like to see the program get to 20+ wins before the Big Dance starts though.

Get Purdue Guys!!!

Think McFly Think

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure was a tale of two halves, that's for sure. I think there was close to an 8 minute FG drought there for Iowa, that's just not gonna get it done on the road.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As disappointed as I am in the Hawkeyes here in Jan-Feb, I see the scores today with all the upsets and realize that it can happen to any team at any time, Kentucky on a skid, MSU loses to Illinois, UCONN over Cincy 51-45 (really low score there), SLU goes down, Syracuse, and on and on

It gives me hope we will be just fine, but I need to see 3 wins to close the season, all 3 games are winnable and should be won. Get 2 more in the B10 as well. Anything less will be disappointing.