• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency/Off Season Thread

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Everyone gives Riley an A? I think that is far to generous. I dont necessarily hold LBJ leaving against Riley, but after seeing things as they come out, Riley had to know in some form what Lebron was leaning towards. Which means he put all his eggs into Lebrons basket. We missed out on some players that could have really helped this team, guys that if Riley would have put effort into, he im sure could have gotten. My grade for him would be along the C range.. any time your team loses the best player on the planet, its going to hurt you. The way i look at it is slightly different than all of you. We had 2 rings and 4 trips to the Finals, everything should have been there for LBj to stay. it takes some serious screw ups to make a player want to leave after that. I think Riley didnt do enough to improve the roster over the last season and so to keep him... I dont blame Riley, Lebron is just a little bitch, but i wouldnt grade Riley that high so far for this off season.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Everyone gives Riley an A? I think that is far to generous. I dont necessarily hold LBJ leaving against Riley, but after seeing things as they come out, Riley had to know in some form what Lebron was leaning towards. Which means he put all his eggs into Lebrons basket. We missed out on some players that could have really helped this team, guys that if Riley would have put effort into, he im sure could have gotten. My grade for him would be along the C range.. any time your team loses the best player on the planet, its going to hurt you. The way i look at it is slightly different than all of you. We had 2 rings and 4 trips to the Finals, everything should have been there for LBj to stay. it takes some serious screw ups to make a player want to leave after that. I think Riley didnt do enough to improve the roster over the last season and so to keep him... I dont blame Riley, Lebron is just a little bitch, but i wouldnt grade Riley that high so far for this off season.

You're crazy if you give Riley a C. It's not his fault that LBJ left but he did a heck of a job after Lebron left to still have a competitive team that can easily be a 50+ win team and a top 3 seed in the conference. Funny thing is he still isn't done. What screw ups did Riley do to make Lebron leave? This is a free country and LBJ can do whatever he wants. As I said before he wants to be liked by everyone which is a part of the reason he went back to Cleveland. What could Riley have done last season to improve the roster? Funny shit is I didn't hear you saying anything about improving the roster last summer after we won the title. The roster was fine. You don't try to change a roster a whole lot when you just won 66 games and the NBA title.

This was almost the perfect roster to have surrounding 3 stars/superstars and they had a great compliment of role players for the most part. We had our 3 point shooters, our defenders, and our energy/hustle guys.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm going with the B+/A- route. I give him that grade as everyone thought Miami would be in full-on rebuild mode. Not many thought Riley would recover after the way Lebron left.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing . Who gives a giant rats ass about what grade we give the guy. At the end of the day he is going to find a way to get the job done - as he always has.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley definitely deserves an A for the job he has done

Looking at things in hindsight, Lebron really put Riley in a bind by requiring a max contract. IF he would have came out and said hey I'm also willing to take a pay cut to 17 or 18 mil, Riley would have had a lot more flexibility to work with. AND also if Lebron would have verbally committed early on in free agency, maybe we would have landed Lowry, Deng, or Gasol in free agency and all the big 3 would have returned.

I don't think Lebron purposely "played Miami" in any way, but at the same time he didn't do us any favors either.

He was probably leaning 70/30 towards Cleveland and wanted to see if Riley can work his magic while also giving him the max.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with the B+/A- route. I give him that grade as everyone thought Miami would be in full-on rebuild mode. Not many thought Riley would recover after the way Lebron left.

I for one thought we were going to go back to the 15-67 days. I was a little depressed. When the LeBron news dropped, after the initial shock, my next thought was how Bosh was for sure leaving. Who could blame him? Take the money. Houston with Bosh would be a real threat to come out of the west. I thought that left us max dealing Wade for two seasons because someone has to get paid and Wade has earned it. I then thought our lineup would be a joke and we would be scanning college games for our next player.

Bosh staying saved this team more than people realized. Riley's reaction to max deal Bosh on max years was a huge factor in Bosh staying. He has 2 rings.. He has the NBA all-star games.. Selling him on being a number one for more money saved the Heat for at least 2 years.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Heat writers have mentioned how Riles does not seem sold on Ennis being ready just yet - which is more reason why they should get back to being as aggressive as possible and make another FA pick up or trade.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That boys is an in depth look at the offensive changes we will see with the new roster

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t replace LeBron James. Short of rapidly accelerating cloning technology, there’s isn’t an avenue in existence which can lead you to the same combination of size, skill, intelligence and athleticism in today’s game. But being competitive isn’t exclusive to the team which has that one player. Where the HEAT once had the use of a very particular, highly efficient set of skills, they now have vacant possessions to fill. And they can fill them within the context of the same offensive system Erik Spoelstra has employed over the past three seasons.

So, in lieu of replacing one player with an individual, you replace those possessions in the aggregate.

That means more pick-and-rolls for Miami’s trio of point guards. Not 10 more for each, but three or four apiece. A few more elbow touches for Chris Bosh, and more catches in space early in the shot clock. A few more post-ups for Dwyane Wade, as his usage percentage will likely tick above 30 percent again for the first time in two years, and more pick-and-rolls sprinkled throughout. And, of course, new possessions for a pair of additions that figure to feature heavily in the rotation.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat still in running to land Ray Allen

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want Ray Allen so we don't have to hear Cavs fans brag about getting him. I'm surprised he's not entertaining the idea of going to the Spurs, personally.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saw it on my facebook feed from heat nation. Said Miami is in the running. Ray is going one of three ways. Cleveland, Miami, or retirement. I will link what I saw when I get home from work.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwyane Wade on the doubt that he can still handle a bigger load: "I need it. I need it." Sees it as an energizing challenge.

Via Ethan Skolnick

One of the things that was a problem for Wade before Queen James came around is that Wade turned the ball over a lot because of having to handle the ball so much - do you expect that to be a problem again with Queen James gone?

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed for only 2 years to retain flexibility in 2016, when cap could skyrocket. Has no intention of missing nearly as many games.

More from Wade

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to know if you guys wanted to start a fantasy football league? if we cant get a decent number of folks from here I will also ask some of the guys over on the Dolphins board. Final pre-season game is august 28th and first regular season game is september 4th. I think we can hold a draft any day after the 28th and before the 4th. This will allow us all to know what final rosters look like and know who is injured etc.

Usually, I draft on the night of the final preseason game(august 28th) but I am going under the knife again on that day - I should be ready to go the morning after if all goes well though.

Let me know if you guys are interested so I can start putting things together to have ready when the day comes.