• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Night Thread

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two top 20 arms drafted today out of Harvard-Westlake HS, Studio City, Calif. Did they lose any games?

I coach (not baseball, but follow the HS I work at closely) in the same league as Harvard Westlake and their top pitcher, Lucas Giolitto, hurt his elbow midway through the season. They said he had an elbow injury that was a partial tear, so his options were to either go under the knife for TJ or rehab it. He chose rehab in hopes that it wouldn't hurt his draft stock. He was talked about as a top 3 pick here before the injury, for what it's worth.

And the HS I coach at beat them up pretty good. Just sayin'.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I coach (not baseball, but follow the HS I work at closely) in the same league as Harvard Westlake and their top pitcher, Lucas Giolitto, hurt his elbow midway through the season. They said he had an elbow injury that was a partial tear, so his options were to either go under the knife for TJ or rehab it. He chose rehab in hopes that it wouldn't hurt his draft stock. He was talked about as a top 3 pick here before the injury, for what it's worth.

And the HS I coach at beat them up pretty good. Just sayin'.

Thanks. Good info. I wonder if the Giants would have taken him, if he were still on the board? Seems like they specifically chose a guy who is not that far away from the majors.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks. Good info. I wonder if the Giants would have taken him, if he were still on the board? Seems like they specifically chose a guy who is not that far away from the majors.

Well, Zito is....Zito and Vogelsong is about to turn 34 years old*. The Giants have no one in the high minors who looks like he can take the ball every 5th day. So they must feel fortunate to grab a college pitcher who, by all accounts, has the talent to be in the majors in the very near future. According to those experts, he has the talent to be a #3 on most staffs and a #2 on a few. Because the Giants already have a very talented Top 3, this kid can slide into the #4 spot without missing a beat.

*If Vogelsong keeps up his reclamation act for another few years, having him as a #5 is not a bad thing.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Zito is....Zito and Vogelsong is about to turn 34 years old*. The Giants have no one in the high minors who looks like he can take the ball every 5th day. So they must feel fortunate to grab a college pitcher who, by all accounts, has the talent to be in the majors in the very near future. According to those experts, he has the talent to be a #3 on most staffs and a #2 on a few. Because the Giants already have a very talented Top 3, this kid can slide into the #4 spot without missing a beat.

*If Vogelsong keeps up his reclamation act for another few years, having him as a #5 is not a bad thing.

I dunno. Heston, Hacker, and Kown all look like they could step in if needed. In fact, didn't Hacker start one game for us this year b/c of a doubleheader?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Giants selected another college arm: Martin Agosta. On the smallish side, listed at 6'1" (that usually means 5'11"), out of St. Mary's. Huge Giants fan, apparently. Easy sign?

Sounds like he's a strike thrower with a fastball in the 91-93 range.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants selected another college arm: Martin Agosta. On the smallish side, listed at 6'1" (that usually means 5'11"), out of St. Mary's. Huge Giants fan, apparently. Easy sign?

In Tidrow we trust. Both Stratton and Agosta could be in the high minors by next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Well,if he lives up to his ceiling, you'd expect him to be in the rotation no later than 2014, based on the reports I've read.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well,if he lives up to his ceiling, you'd expect him to be in the rotation no later than 2014, based on the reports I've read.

Replacing Zito and/or Timmy and/or Vogelsong

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dunno. Heston, Hacker, and Kown all look like they could step in if needed. In fact, didn't Hacker start one game for us this year b/c of a doubleheader?

Heston is in Double-A. While he is doing well there, it's a pitcher's league, so I am not ready to hand him the ball and put him in the rotation just yet. I am not counting him out, but I would feel much better putting the ball into the hands of Stratton in 2013 than Heston.

Kown and Hacker are both 29 years old. Hacker will be 30 before the World Series ends. They SHOULD be mowing down the competition, considering that most of the other talent is about 5-7 years younger than they are. Neither one of those guys should be considered future starters in the bigs. If either one pulls a Vogelsong and proves they belong - great. But they would have to prove it. They do not get to be the "next in line" just because they are mowing down inferior competition in the minors.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

LMFAO. Rep.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

From the reports I have read, I think 2014 is an overly conservative estimate. May or June 2013 would be my hope/guess.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From the reports I have read, I think 2014 is an overly conservative estimate. May or June 2013 would be my hope/guess.

Work load would be a concern for me if he's up early next year and in the rotation. You're basically projecting a Lincecum like minor league matriculation for him.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Round 3: Johnathan Williamson - big bopper RF from Wake Forest.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Work load would be a concern for me if he's up early next year and in the rotation. You're basically projecting a Lincecum like minor league matriculation for him.

Also barring injury (or a trade) there are no rotation slots available in 2013

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Short Profile on Williamson:

Williamson is a five-tool player (four of which are decidedly above-average, the most questionable tool being his bat) with big league starter upside – he profiles very similarly to Adam Brett Walker as a hitter and athlete, but with a higher floor based on his added defensive value; has also shown promise on the mound over the years: 88-92 FB, 94 peak; good sinker; good CB; shows CU; 6-4, 240 pounds

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Williamson sounds like a big bodied Brandon Belt. Pitcher converted to a hitter, good eye, but questionable K rate.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also barring injury (or a trade) there are no rotation slots available in 2013

I am not wearing my French Vanilla-colored glasses right now and I tend to believe that Barry Zito's current run of form will not last through the end of this season, much less into next.