• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Night Thread

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. I actually knew about the new international rules - though not in detail. I'm not talking scour for young A/B level prospects though. I'm talking org fillers, and an occasional guy like Blanco.

What does "talking scour" mean? I don't understand

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This line of "logic" is one I don't understand. The Giants have PLENTY of money. This team has operated at a net profit every year it has been in AT&T Park. Rowand, Huff, Freddy, and Wilson come off the books this season. Zito next season. That's $40 million in savings in two years. Factor in raises for Posey, Panda and Melky and there is still money left over to go get a bat. So the money is there. By the time Bumgarner is ready for his big reward, Timmeh has moved on and the stadium is paid off, so the money coming in is ALL surplus. You all have to stop thinking that the Giants are on a fixed budget. They are not. They HAVE the money. Sabean just has to spend it more wisely.

The Giants ARE on a fixed budget; it's fixed by the owners who set it. That said, I'd expect the payroll to rise to 140 next year and 150 in 2013. We've got 81MM committed to 7 players for 2013 (including 2MM dead money to buy out Huff) -- Zeets, Timmy, Horse, LOOGY, Panda, Tron, Bum. My guesses for the rest of the roster:

Buster 2
Chez3 0.5
Kobe 1
Baby G 0.5
Stamos 0.5
Chipmunk 0.5
Melky 15
Oxy 7
Shark 3
Nate 2
BWeez 7
Affeldt 5
KCYa 4
Romo 3
Hensley 1
7th guy(Runzler/Loux/Surkamp) 0.5
-----------about 52MM for a total of 133.

Two open spots: Starting 2b and RHH utility guy.

It's doable, but we're not likely to bring in a "BAT" unless we cut BWeez and/or Affeldt loose. I suppose we could let Oxy go too. If we let Wilson and Pagan go, that'd be another 12-14 to bring in this "BAT."

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does "talking scour" mean? I don't understand

He was trying to say that he isn't saying, "Scour the globe for young A/B Prospects." He wants under-the-radar talents. Good speed, good glove, good bat control, etc. At least, I think that is what he meant. I might have extrapolated my own theories from his assertions.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He was trying to say that he isn't saying, "Scour the globe for young A/B Prospects." He wants under-the-radar talents. Good speed, good glove, good bat control, etc. At least, I think that is what he meant. I might have extrapolated my own theories from his assertions.

Well, I wasn't thinking so much about specific talent attributes, but that is pretty much what I meant.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Keith Law:

Right now, I’d have Stratton as the best prospect in San Francisco’s system, but see two or three guys in the organization already who could end up ahead of him by the end of the season.

I wonder if Tommy Joseph is one of those guys.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My brain wasn't parsing correctly last night. OK, look for older FAs who wouldn't be subject to the new bonus pool, and use them as roster filler (bench and/or "one year flash in the pan" talent, like Blanco or Torres)? And/Or, since you talked about "org fillers": finding cheap, warm bodies to play in the minor leagues so the team can concentrate their bonus money on signing a few, expensive "stars" in the draft?

Last edited by a moderator:

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My brain wasn't parsing correctly last night. OK, look for older FAs who wouldn't be subject to the new bonus pool, and use them as roster filler (bench and/or "one year flash in the pan" talent, like Blanco or Torres)? And/Or, since you talked about "org fillers": finding cheap, warm bodies to play in the minor leagues so the team can concentrate their bonus money on signing a few, expensive "stars" in the draft?

Dunno for sure, but after Anvil, our International policy seems to be signing a bunch of 6 figure guys instead of just one 7 figure guy. With the hope that one of them turns into something aka Panda, and to a lesser extent Sanchez. (Yes, I'm aware Panda was signed before Anvil, just meant the smaller bonus guy turning into an all-star)

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the new changes to the CBA - limits on international bonuses are now a fact.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
PS: Who the fuck is "Anvil".

Angel Villalona.
ph_505830.jpg

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Y'all have way too much love of nicknames...

Got to admit, though, that AnVil is a great nickname for a mashing firstbaseman. And even though he turned out to be a pudgy doughboy, the name still works on irony.