• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dave Matthews Band New(ish) Lineup

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isn't DMB kind of like Phish?

both are jam bands

I have never seen Phish.

I saw moe twice. That was interesting.

moe snobs are funny.

Mmmmnot really, no

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word.

I was exposed to Phish early -- I anticipated the release of Picture of Nectar -- and it was a very peaceful crowd. As their popularity grew, so did the shows. The big fight I saw was at a big show, and it looked like a frat deal to me. It was just grim.

I have buddies who are huge into phish, and it's weird how we've always been pretty close friends, but yeah, every time they've gone to a phish show they ask me if I wanna come too, and I'm like, "nope". Conversely, they can't stand some of the metal bands that I adore lol

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather throw up for the equivalent amount of time of listening to one of their albums.

His voice makes my bones itch. All their shit sounds the same, and inevitably, if one of their songs is on for more than 30 seconds, some wannabe hippie, who is really a frat boy will appear out of a cloud of smoke and ask for gas money and a cigarette.
LOLZ

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a pretty eclectic taste in music, but I never really got into DMB. A lot of my friends were (specifically in college). If they were on I was happy to listen but I wasn't really engaged as a fan. I tend to place them in a box labeled the "the college" years and haven't felt any need to go back and listen to them again.

I say that because unknowingly I seem to go back to certain artists or groups and find something I didn't get before. Examples, Pink Floyd and Rush. Could have been my cognitive development, maturity (or lack thereof), or simply where I was in life at the time.

I know many of you are now quite curious as to what is also in my "College Years" box so here is a sneak peak:

1) VHS tapes, specifically Saved by the Bell THE COLLEGE YEARS
2) strip clubs
3) living tax free
4) My dignity

The remaining items can be viewed via a Freedom of Information Act Request

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isolated-single-almond1.png
Touche....but at least their music will put some hair on yer balls, and Mustaine is responsible for early Metallica and Slayer too, so....
HOWEVER...he remains Dave "Cumstain" Mustaine so whatever he was responsible for you can suq my nutt

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No hate. Just ambivalent. Some of their songs are ok, but nothing ever really grabbed me. Give me a couple of tunes that might change my mind. I'll check them out later tonight when my state of mind is more receptive, so to speak.

More than a couple, but this was somewhat of a difficult exercise because I feel like your appreciation of the band in some way rests on my ability to choose songs that I like and that you might connect with. The pressure is crippling, so I'll start with The Stone. . .

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Wazmankg

There's a selection of tunes that I dig from early in his catalog because honestly, I'm not familiar with the second half, but from what I've been hearing on DMB Channel, there's more good stuff in there.

Matthews' percussive guitar style is very unique, and I think the drummer is really good.

I hope you enjoy, but if not, you should either:
  1. change your mind
  2. or don't
  3. go fuck yourself
  4. or go fuck someone else
giphy.gif

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last thing - I don't have speakers on this computer, so if the fidelity on those sucks, my apologies.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And with that, I'm going to go hit the gym, then go home and get shitfaced.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than a couple, but this was somewhat of a difficult exercise because I feel like your appreciation of the band in some way rests on my ability to choose songs that I like and that you might connect with. The pressure is crippling, so I'll start with The Stone. . .

man, i haven't listened to Warehouse in years, forgot how much I like this song

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man, i haven't listened to Warehouse in years, forgot how much I like this song

That, along with The Stone and #41 might be my favorites.

Sometimes, when the moon's hung just right, I subject my neighbors to a pretty bitching version of Warehouse from my deck.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried the first 3. #41 was ok.. I've heard that one before. They're very tight and can all clearly play. I'm getting why some say their stuff all sounds the same, though. Grooves that don't really go anywhere.... It's pleasant enough as background music. Nothing to hate really.. haters are probably just backlash against their fans who think they're the greatest. I'll try some herbally enhanced listening tonight.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care for most of their music per se...except for maybe 2 or 3 tunes off a few of their earlier albums. Nothing that rang out to me, or made me ever want to go out of my way to see them live. That being said...

.....I will give him and the DMB props, much deserved respect, and credit though for his tireless work and advocacy on numerous causes throughout the world..as well as for their time and donations to many charitable orgs/non profits/political candidates/and bringing more focus and awareness to social justice issues both here and abroad.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried the first 3. #41 was ok.. I've heard that one before. They're very tight and can all clearly play. I'm getting why some say their stuff all sounds the same, though. Grooves that don't really go anywhere.... It's pleasant enough as background music. Nothing to hate really.. haters are probably just backlash against their fans who think they're the greatest. I'll try some herbally enhanced listening tonight.

I didn’t really consider diversity when I picked the songs, I just grabbed ones I like, but I’m thinking the second three might sound different to you, particularly Captain.

For my edification, can you give me an example of a band that lays down grooves that do somewhere?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my edification, can you give me an example of a band that lays down grooves that do somewhere?

War
Pixies
Santana
The Clash
Little Feat
Steely Dan
Moody Blues
Talking Heads
Moody Blues
Steely Dan
Little Feat
The Clash
Santana
Pixies
War

Last edited:

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather staple chum to my balls and swim with sharks than listen to anything Dave Matthews has ever put out.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
War
Pixies
Santana
The Clash
Little Feat
Steely Dan
Moody Blues
Talking Heads
Moody Blues
Steely Dan
Little Feat
The Clash
Santana
Pixies
War

Pixies groove

Lolz

I can’t even imagine how long you worked on that nonsense.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the Clash, but you have to be retarded, yoga.